New manager poll

139 posts

Who should get the permanent manager gig in the summer?

Noel Hunt
14%
Mark Bowen
3%
Dylan Kerr
8%
Nathan Jones
28%
Graham Murty
7%
Alan Pardew
7%
Some obscure bloke from a low level European league
13%
Ian Royal
21%

Total votes: 76
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New manager poll

by Stranded » 12 Apr 2023 14:18

Eaststandman All the speculation and substantial names being mentioned overlook the elephant in the room, who in their right mind would eagerly pick up the tainted chalice???

I don't know - a club freshly out of restrictions with a hell of a lot of space to build a new squad fit to play in the style you want - think we could soon be a very tempting prospect for a lot of managers if we stay up. If we drop, less so, but still a very interesting option plus we have excellent facilities to work at.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 12 Apr 2023 14:19

Eaststandman All the speculation and substantial names being mentioned overlook the elephant in the room, who in their right mind would eagerly pick up the tainted chalice???

Why's it tainted? No embargo from June, a dipstick owner, granted; but he backs the manager with money. The likes of Bowen in place putting the right structure back in place. Decent stadium. One of the best training grounds outside the top flight. Cracking academy.

It's an attractive opportunity to many (more so in the Champiosnhip, obviously).

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 12 Apr 2023 14:25

Huge gamble for an up and coming talented manager and the last 5 years of dead beat blind alleys hardly help make the club a brilliant opportunity, IMHO, but l live in hope and wish the new manager all the very best!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Apr 2023 15:51

SCIAG
Royal Rother
SCIAG Not sure why the guy who is managing Spurs (currently 5th in the Premier League) would leave to take over Reading (22nd in the Championship).

Maybe if we stay up and if he doesn't get the Spurs job permanently and if the next Spurs manager doesn't like him. But if he does well then he probably won't want to drop a division, and if he doesn't do well... why would we want him?

I think there’s a few reasons.

He isn’t going to get the Spurs job.

He isn’t going to get any PL job.

Most managers bring in their own coaches so there’s a very real likelihood he won’t be at Spurs next season.

He’s local.

He’s had a taste of management, seems a well liked and respected young coach, who has worked under some unliveable but to names, and it seems reasonable to think he’d be interested in a local Championship club as a career progression. League 1? Maybe not.

By all accounts he is seen as a future Spurs manager, with the main thing holding him back being that he’s a teammate of several of the senior players. He’s been there since 2018 and has now outlasted three permanent managers. Stellini will probably be gone, but Mason is a club man.

Obviously I don’t actually know what is going on inside his head, maybe he wants a permanent job now and not wait for Kane to retire. But I actually think joining us would harm his long term prospects.

He's very very unlikely to even be considered for the Spurs job full-time at any stage without having gained full managerial experience somewhere else.

We could be just the right sort of opportunity for him to cut his teeth. A club on the decline, ready for reinvigorating with a fresh approach.... Champ or Div 1, wouldn't necessarily be a concern, he just needs to get started somewhere.

Ah, wishful thinking probably and as you say, we don't know what's going on his head so it's all bollox really - still that's what we're here for!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2023 16:32

Eaststandman Huge gamble for an up and coming talented manager and the last 5 years of dead beat blind alleys hardly help make the club a brilliant opportunity, IMHO, but l live in hope and wish the new manager all the very best!
at least anybody coming in from out of the area, need only negotiate a 12 month lease on their rental property I suppose.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Apr 2023 16:57

AthleticoSpizz
Eaststandman Huge gamble for an up and coming talented manager and the last 5 years of dead beat blind alleys hardly help make the club a brilliant opportunity, IMHO, but l live in hope and wish the new manager all the very best!
at least anybody coming in from out of the area, need only negotiate a 12 month lease on their rental property I suppose.

Ain't that the truth.

Obvious point you are making, but if someone young and dynamic comes in and quickly turns things around he would likely be poached away to pastures new pretty damn quick.

We've seen it all before. (Not for a while though unfortunately!)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Apr 2023 17:19

Just seen the video session of NHunt taking a training session. Certainly can't fault his commitment and passion. Looks like he is up for the fight. Ejaria may be available as well seeing him in it.

BTW I can't believe I'm not the only one that said Pardew :D :D :D :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2023 17:32

Ascotexgunner Just seen the video session of NHunt taking a training session. Certainly can't fault his commitment and passion. Looks like he is up for the fight. Ejaria may be available as well seeing him in it.

So plusses and minuses then

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Apr 2023 17:57

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner Just seen the video session of NHunt taking a training session. Certainly can't fault his commitment and passion. Looks like he is up for the fight. Ejaria may be available as well seeing him in it.

Ejaria is one of those players I just think can have a moment of magic....but they are so few and far between. I just so wanna believe he will come good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2023 18:00

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

Ejaria is one of those players I just think can have a moment of magic....but they are so few and far between. I just so wanna believe he will come good.

Watched the video, its clearly not him anyway.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2023 18:02

Royal Rother
AthleticoSpizz

Ain't that the truth.

Obvious point you are making, but if someone young and dynamic comes in and quickly turns things around he would likely be poached away to pastures new pretty damn quick.

We've seen it all before. (Not for a while though unfortunately!)
no real love lost for Ince and many of his predecessors, but I am fed-up with this virtual ‘Watford-like’ perennial hire and fire at our club.

(not so) Funny here, how we were all calling for continuity and longevity for the good of the club on this very same portal, yet things go sour, and here we are, yet once again, ending up in a ‘pile-on’ for change.

Twenty first century football stinks a bit.

Good luck Noel in the short term, as for his replacement, I will reserve any kind of affinity….it’ll be wasted.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2023 18:07

You need to hire a manager who won't be a dreadful clown before you can get any stability.

It shouldn’t be hard for someone with a decent record somewhere to not start ok and then completely fall apart. A bit of steady progression.

Stam - no senior management experience
Clement - minimal management experience which ended in failure
Gomes - dreadful management record
Bowen - no management record, but internal
Paunovic - limited managerial record with brief good performance followed by form falling off a cliff.
Ince - out of the game for 8 years, never lasted a full season at any club and performances always fell off a cliff.

Hire the useless all the time and you'll keep seeing the same failure.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2023 18:11

Snowflake Royal You need to hire a manager who won't be a dreadful clown before you can get any stability.

It shouldn’t be hard for someone with a decent record somewhere to not start ok and then completely fall apart. A bit of steady progression.

Stam - no senior management experience
Clement - minimal management experience which ended in failure
Gomes - dreadful management record
Bowen - no management record, but internal
Paunovic - limited managerial record with brief good performance followed by form falling off a cliff.
Ince - out of the game for 8 years, never lasted a full season at any club and performances always fell off a cliff.

Hire the useless all the time and you'll keep seeing the same failure.
stop bigging yourself up

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Apr 2023 18:15

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal So plusses and minuses then

As his stalker you would know so it can't be him. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2023 18:18

Orion1871
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner

Ain't me keeps bringing him up.

I assume that would make you Joao's stalker.

mikey_1871

by mikey_1871 » 12 Apr 2023 21:06

Chris Wilder? Surely going to be out of a job in a few weeks

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Apr 2023 21:30

There's a lot of calling for an experienced manager on here and everyone wants a good manager. We have to remember that every good manager had to start somewhere!! Sometimes its a gamble hoping to find that right one.
Boro seem to have hit lucky on Michael Carrick, Gareth Ainsworth seemed to do a great job at Wycombe!! sometimes it just needs a gamble.

I like the idea of a younger manager, its seems to be a trend these days and the likes of Pep, Klopp, and those two young Germans certainly prove the age is not a factor!!

So i already mentioned Ryan Mason at Spurs and i like the idea of Murty and vivesh at Stoke. Another i totally forgot at was John O'Shea, he worked with Alex Ferguson and maybe something rubbed off!! you just never know...one thing i do think is paramount is that whoever we pick they must either be English or have a firm knowledge of the English game and what it means to get the crowd on their feet!!

I really hope it works out for Noel Hunt in these 5 games!! he's another who really could throw his hat in the ring. If he can pull off a miracle and keep's the club up and is allowed to coach an entertaining brand of football then the job is his to lose!! and he is another who fits into that mold of young hungry managers who made it as a player.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Apr 2023 21:38

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871
Snowflake Royal Watched the video, its clearly not him anyway.

Ain't me keeps bringing him up.

I assume that would make you Joao's stalker.

I am. Tbh I'm looking for a new challenge. Stalking Joao is an easy job because he never oxf*rd moves anywhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2023 22:55

Crowbar6753 There's a lot of calling for an experienced manager on here and everyone wants a good manager. We have to remember that every good manager had to start somewhere!! Sometimes its a gamble hoping to find that right one.
Boro seem to have hit lucky on Michael Carrick, Gareth Ainsworth seemed to do a great job at Wycombe!! sometimes it just needs a gamble.

I like the idea of a younger manager, its seems to be a trend these days and the likes of Pep, Klopp, and those two young Germans certainly prove the age is not a factor!!

So i already mentioned Ryan Mason at Spurs and i like the idea of Murty and vivesh at Stoke. Another i totally forgot at was John O'Shea, he worked with Alex Ferguson and maybe something rubbed off!! you just never know...one thing i do think is paramount is that whoever we pick they must either be English or have a firm knowledge of the English game and what it means to get the crowd on their feet!!

I really hope it works out for Noel Hunt in these 5 games!! he's another who really could throw his hat in the ring. If he can pull off a miracle and keep's the club up and is allowed to coach an entertaining brand of football then the job is his to lose!! and he is another who fits into that mold of young hungry managers who made it as a player.

Ince and Stam worked with Ferguson too. That went well.

Inexperienced managers need good stable set ups to have much chance of succeeding. We're certainly not that.

A boring dinosaur would serve us quite well to be honest.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Apr 2023 08:40

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 There's a lot of calling for an experienced manager on here and everyone wants a good manager. We have to remember that every good manager had to start somewhere!! Sometimes its a gamble hoping to find that right one.

Ince and Stam worked with Ferguson too. That went well.

Inexperienced managers need good stable set ups to have much chance of succeeding. We're certainly not that.

A boring dinosaur would serve us quite well to be honest.

Ironically I saw a post (albeit on Facebook) this morning that said current managers who have played under Ferguson haven't tended to be that successful in management. Obviously Ince was there along with the likes of Scholes, Solskjaer etc. I think there was about 9.

I think we will be on better ground next season compared to this, so possibly a younger manager might be the way to go, especially with the experience they've got above them as well with the likes of Bowen and Eddie at the club.

139 posts