194 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by Sutekh » 16 Apr 2023 10:04

When : Wednesday 19th April 2023, 8pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Well after the elation of getting a point off Burnley and stopping them breaking THE record comes a return to normality and it doesn’t come too much harder than the Hatters at the moment. Noel has had his first game now and though looking like he might know what he’s doing, this time the crowd is likely to need more persuading for what will be a very hard evening.

Luton are rather good again - all those thinking they’re not really all that need to think again you don’t sit in the play off positions for two successive seasons because you’re cr@p or lucky so this is going to probably be as big a test as the visit of Burnley, especially as Reading haven’t managed to score against Luton in any of the last 4 league games (and struggling to even recall an on target shot for Reading in that time but there must have been one). So another very big ask of the players and also of the fans!

It’s been 7 wins and 3 draws since Luton last lost a game and that was against Burnley. In those 10 games the Hatters have turned Sheffield United over at Bramall Lane, comfortably beaten most of the struggling sides and conceded just 1 in the last 4 so Noel and Eddie have a job on their hands to devise something to get the points in this one.

The threats are posed by Elijah Adebayo and particularly Carlton Morris who have hit 25 goals between them so far. Henri Lansbury can be a real pain if he turns up and the former Reading threat is offered by Gabriel Osho.

Jack Walton and Dan Potts are missing for Luton while Reading’s meagre squad will be hoping no-one new has gone down with injury after Saturday’s exertions.

This is a very important game, really need those travelling to it to be 100% behind the team and as positive as possible as that will find it’s way to the players and help lift them further which is absolutely vital given the state of health in the overall squad.

The other games to note this midweek are : Watford v Cardiff and QPR v Norwich on the same evening while on Tuesday Rotherham host Burnley and Huddersfield and Wigan travel to Stoke and Sunderland respectively.

Referee

Tim “4 Reading defeats in a row” Robinson

Previously

16 Dec 22 > Birmingham City 3-2 Reading
15 Oct 22 > Reading 0-2 West Bromwich Albion
23 Apr 22 > Hull City 3-0 Reading
19 Jan 22 > Reading 0-2 Luton Town
18 Sep 21 Reading 3-1 Peterborough United
06 Feb 21 > Stoke City 0-0 Reading
09 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Birmingham City
19 Sep 20 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 4-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Only 25 league seasons have been shared with Luton as although a similar style of provincial club they have spent a couple of lengthy periods circulating in the first and second divisions while Reading were successfully trying to avoid any appearance of ambition.

Of the previous 25 league games played in Reading 15 have been won by the hoops with 6 going the way of the hats (including last season’s non event of a 2-0 defeat) leaving 4 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Red button

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Apr 2023 10:22

I think QPR will get something against Norwich

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 11:13

I'd make the one change, though I wouldn'tmind unchanged. How often have we been able to say that recently!

Loum for Hendrick. Put in someone dedicated to screen defence. Free up Fornah and Casadei to be adventurous. Hendrick is a real empty shirt.

We seemed to slip from the 4-4-2 into a 4-3-3 at times v Burnley and I'd push the emphasis on the 4-3-3.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Apr 2023 11:21

I'd start AC, need his nous up front to hold up the ball.

They aren't Burnley, I saw their game V Millwall last weekend and it was awful for 2 top 6 sides. Score first and we can win this.

The fixtures haven't run kindly for us, we had a four match run in March against in form play off sides and are in the same now, the down side of Cov smashing the fakes yesterday is they are right in the mix, was hoping they'd be on the beach by next Sat.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 11:29

Don't think Joao and Carroll are mobile enough to play well together and we need more time to break the hoofball habit. We're best on the deck or running in behind, not route 1.

Joao was excellent against Burnley and I think we'll benefit hugely from game time for Azeez and Ehib. And Carroll is a brilliant player to bring on for 20-30 minutes. Not what a defender wants to see at all.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Apr 2023 11:51

I’m hoping we have the top quality Joao back for the remaining 4 games. I’d have no problem seeing Joao and Ehib start again and hopefully we can bring on Carroll and Meite for the last 25 minutes or so.

I know Hendrick gets a lot of bad press but I think he’s better than he’s given credit for. However, as mentioned by IR I’d play Loum instead to give the defence a bit more cover.

I don’t think we should be scared of Luton. They may well beat us but they aren’t all that. Ince made us play fear football against everyone but for me I’d be scared of Burnley, Sheffield United, Boro and WBA but the rest are not great.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 16 Apr 2023 11:59

2 0 Luton

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 12:16

blythspartan I’m hoping we have the top quality Joao back for the remaining 4 games. I’d have no problem seeing Joao and Ehib start again and hopefully we can bring on Carroll and Meite for the last 25 minutes or so.

I know Hendrick gets a lot of bad press but I think he’s better than he’s given credit for. However, as mentioned by IR I’d play Loum instead to give the defence a bit more cover.

I don’t think we should be scared of Luton. They may well beat us but they aren’t all that. Ince made us play fear football against everyone but for me I’d be scared of Burnley, Sheffield United, Boro and WBA but the rest are not great.

I might do a stats dive on our midfielders over the last few games because my impression is he contributes less than any of them.

He doesn't make any big costly mistakes, certainly defensively, but I just don’t see a net positive from him.

He's the Chris Gunterof midfield. Just bland as oxf*rd.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Apr 2023 12:22

It'll be interesting to see how Luton approach this one. They're all but mathematically guaranteed a playoff spot and get the second leg at home. So I don't think they have a huge amount to play for. They won't catch Sheffield United. That said they're a very good side so it's a big ask to win it.

We should have won at their place earlier this season so let's hope we see a similar performance to that game and we can score a couple of goals.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2023 12:36

Conceded 4 goals in their last 10 away games, 11 away clean sheets strong defence and nicking a goal at the other end, going to be an extremely difficult game

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Apr 2023 13:21

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan I’m hoping we have the top quality Joao back for the remaining 4 games. I’d have no problem seeing Joao and Ehib start again and hopefully we can bring on Carroll and Meite for the last 25 minutes or so.

I might do a stats dive on our midfielders over the last few games because my impression is he contributes less than any of them.

He doesn't make any big costly mistakes, certainly defensively, but I just don’t see a net positive from him.

Yes, it would be interesting to see some stats. The comparison to Gunter is spot on. Like Gunter he’s not injury prone and he’s fairly safe.

Anyway, a change of subject I see that Cambridge and Sam Smith have picked up a bit lately. A good win at home to Peterborough yesterday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 13:26

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal

Yes, it would be interesting to see some stats. The comparison to Gunter is spot on. Like Gunter he’s not injury prone and he’s fairly safe.

Anyway, a change of subject I see that Cambridge and Sam Smith have picked up a bit lately. A good win at home to Peterborough yesterday.

Aye. I'm going on Tuesday with some pals.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2023 13:52

Yeah Loum for Hendrick would make sense. Agree with the criticism on Hendrick really, just doesn’t offer a lot. He has a great shot on him but often too far away from the goal to make it count

Anyway expect Luton will win fairly comfortably. They are like Barnsley a couple of seasons back - no outstanding quality but great discipline, organisation and momentum. Any points would be a huge bonus for us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 13:58

Hound Yeah Loum for Hendrick would make sense. Agree with the criticism on Hendrick really, just doesn’t offer a lot. He has a great shot on him but often too far away from the goal to make it count

Anyway expect Luton will win fairly comfortably. They are like Barnsley a couple of seasons back - no outstanding quality but great discipline, organisation and momentum. Any points would be a huge bonus for us

He's scored some great long shots, but I wouldn’t agree he has a great shot on him because the vast majority end up too far away from the goal to count. :wink:

Agree on how Luton play, but I think that means we have an opportunity to have much more of the game and a moment of magic could get us something. Probably an L though. But less certainly than Burnley was.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Apr 2023 17:34

Not expecting much again, but if we can build on yesterday we might have a good chance here. I wasn't totally impressed with them in the reverse fixture and I actually think we've got the calibre of player to deal with their threats.

Morris and Adebayo are strong lads, but Holmes and Sarr (if he plays like he did yesterday) should be able to deal with that. They've got a combative midfield, just like ourselves. I could see both sides cancelling each other again potentially.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 16 Apr 2023 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Apr 2023 18:57

Luton are pretty much nailed on for a 3rd or 4th place finish, hoping they see this game as an ideal opportunity to rest a few.

Think we have a decent chance of causing an upset on Wednesday, quite looking forward to it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2023 19:01

NathStPaul Luton are pretty much nailed on for a 3rd or 4th place finish, hoping they see this game as an ideal opportunity to rest a few.

Think we have a decent chance of causing an upset on Wednesday, quite looking forward to it.

Sheffield United play 1st on Tuesday, so if they win it might make Luton look towards the play-offs rather than autos, if Sheffield United fail to win I'm sure Luton will be really up for it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Apr 2023 19:44

Hound Yeah Loum for Hendrick would make sense. Agree with the criticism on Hendrick really, just doesn’t offer a lot. He has a great shot on him but often too far away from the goal to make it count

I think Hendrick is OK but sorta agree. Given the career he’s had, you’re expecting more. On the whole, think he’s been our most reliable midfielder though (although Casadei has really impressed in the one month of regular football here)

Think Fornah gets a bit of a free pass personally. Like TDB last season, he may not be a bad player but the criticisms aimed at Hendrick seem more apt for Fornah, really offers very little and doesn’t really have a sustained position (joined as a CDM, now playing LM?)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2023 19:53

URZZZZ

I think Hendrick is OK but sorta agree. Given the career he’s had, you’re expecting more. On the whole, think he’s been our most reliable midfielder though (although Casadei has really impressed in the one month of regular football here)

Think Fornah gets a bit of a free pass personally. Like TDB last season, he may not be a bad player but the criticisms aimed at Hendrick seem more apt for Fornah, really offers very little and doesn’t really have a sustained position (joined as a CDM, now playing LM?)

Wouldn’t disagree on Fornah. Like TDB there is something there but we just haven’t seen nearly enough of it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 20:22

URZZZZ

Fornah has too many mistakes in him, but then he's 23, never played at this level before and only played in two previous seasons.

He's good on the ball, looks much more likely to create something and his pass success shits all over Hendrick. Not involved enough, but then he's also pushed out towards the left a lot more.

Hendrick is 31 and was playing in the PL a couple of seasons ago.

194 posts