MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

268 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 18:24

Royalcop The owner doesn’t need to know anything about football but they need the self-awareness to understand this and then to bring in people who do know what they are doing - look at the Wrexham owners.

Another person licking Parkys feet?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2023 18:25

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
Hound What constitutes ‘getting our club back’?

We’re going down. It happens in football. Nothing dramatic, we’re just playing div1 football next season

Best just to accept it and enjoy it. It can’t be much worse than the last few years tbh

League one is shit. It's worse than this

Watched a League One game live just this week. It was quite entertaining and there was some decent football on display, from a team in the relegation zone.

Sounds exciting.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2023 18:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
You have got incredibly low standards then.

Not as low as you if you're happy with more of the same in the Championship.

What a higher division? Which is, quite literally, a better standard than bottom of the table at League One?

I'll tell you right now, Cambridge played better football than we have most of this season, with inferior players.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 22 Apr 2023 18:37

blythspartan Sadly, I accepted this a few weeks ago. It’s been years in the making tbh. I shall go to the last 2 games and I shall renew my season ticket for next season. I’m not expecting it to be easy in League One but I am looking forward to seeing us hopefully rebuild the team and start winning games again. The last 10 years apart from some odd games has been utter dog shite and a complete reset is needed.

Yes agree with this. Will be nice to start over, no deductions, lower expectations and even if we don’t come straight back up, you’d hope we would be reasonably competitive with our moneybags owner, assuming he sticks around.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 18:40

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
Hound What constitutes ‘getting our club back’?

We’re going down. It happens in football. Nothing dramatic, we’re just playing div1 football next season

Best just to accept it and enjoy it. It can’t be much worse than the last few years tbh

League one is shit. It's worse than this

Watched a League One game live just this week. It was quite entertaining and there was some decent football on display, from a team in the relegation zone.

I've seen a lot of league one games. It's not entertaining. It's low quality, players are paid maybe double my salary and it's not great. I don't want to lose to clubs far far smaller than us.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Apr 2023 18:43

Welp, fat lady is well and truly warming up now, Wigan becomes a must win and we just can't seem to fashion a win out of anything as of late.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Apr 2023 18:45

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
Just this. Wasting all that money yet appointing utterly useless nomarks to lead the club. Least that now seems to be under control. Hoping for a managerial appointment in the summer of someone who knows the lower leagues but is hungry with ambition.

I don't know, next year is an important season for Bowen I'd say. It's obviously not solely him, the owner ultimately makes the decisions, but a lot of pressure will come on those behind the scenes if we don't do well next season as well.

I've said it for a while though now, we need a new owner, it doesn't matter who we have in place below him, we need a better owner who has an understanding of football. I don't really care if they put in less money than Dai, as long as it's enough to get us back to the Championship and keep us there, assuming we still go down.

All the owner can really do is put the right person in to manage the club. Seems that has fallen to Bowen so it’s on him now to sort it out

Obvs I get the criticism of Dai and much of it is justified, but I bet he has very little to do with the actual running of things

Not really sure what a new owner actually gives us? Dai has kept cheap tickets, put money into the club and hopefully now just let Bowen get on with things

I’d say the owner is responsible for hiring the right people in, the right managers, ensuring our wages are at a sustainable level (not 210% of turnover).

Remember…his other 2 clubs went bust

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 22 Apr 2023 18:52

Royal_jimmy
Royalcop The owner doesn’t need to know anything about football but they need the self-awareness to understand this and then to bring in people who do know what they are doing - look at the Wrexham owners.

Another person licking Parkys feet?

Nothing to do with Parky; if you watch the documentary series, one of the first things the owners do - admitting they’re clueless - is to bring in Shaun Harvey, an ex-chief exec of the football league who knows how things work in football and who can advise them on how to spend their money effectively.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Apr 2023 19:00

St Pauli I had an inkling this was going to happen when I moved to Cardiff. I started getting into football as a young lad the season before we lost the first playoff final. And really it was a great time for the club in my younger years when I went as a teen and in my twenties.

Performances have trailed off in my thirties when as a married man and young father I could attend fewer games, but at least I was living in Reading which clearly helped the club. Now I’ve moved away the club has collapsed in on itself and relegation beckons.

I’m sorry all, had I known this would happen I’d have stayed in RG1.

Go back to AE mate

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 19:12

I don't think Tom Holmes or McIntyre are good enough either Rob Dickie is better than they are. Although they're local lads and will always have my respect

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 19:27

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Not as low as you if you're happy with more of the same in the Championship.

What a higher division? Which is, quite literally, a better standard than bottom of the table at League One?

I'll tell you right now, Cambridge played better football than we have most of this season, with inferior players.

Just oxf*rd off I've had enough of hearing your shit

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 22 Apr 2023 19:28

genome
St Pauli I had an inkling this was going to happen when I moved to Cardiff. I started getting into football as a young lad the season before we lost the first playoff final. And really it was a great time for the club in my younger years when I went as a teen and in my twenties.

Performances have trailed off in my thirties when as a married man and young father I could attend fewer games, but at least I was living in Reading which clearly helped the club. Now I’ve moved away the club has collapsed in on itself and relegation beckons.

Go back to AE mate

This is exactly the kind of abuse that is killing the Team Board.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Apr 2023 19:31

genome

Go back to AE mate

Who wants to live in Dumfries and Galloway?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 22 Apr 2023 19:36

St Pauli
genome

Go back to AE mate

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 22 Apr 2023 19:48

St Pauli
genome

Go back to AE mate

+1, and yet again as per usual its Genome

I got your back St Pauli, don't worry

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Apr 2023 19:51

Clyde1998 Some oxf*rd on the pitch, requiring about five or six stewards to subdue...

Just in case anyone missed the game, this was the highlight.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Apr 2023 19:55

Loafer
St Pauli
genome
Go back to AE mate

+1, and yet again as per usual its Genome

I got your back St Pauli, don't worry

:roll:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 22 Apr 2023 20:16

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Not as low as you if you're happy with more of the same in the Championship.

Including our Sam Smith

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2023 00:03

Uke
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Including our Sam Smith

And Morrison.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2023 07:54

That’s what JM used to do, bring in the right people and then let them get on with what they’re experienced at. Sadly the current owners have made cock up after cock up in that department starting with Ron Gourlay, though to be fair, an inexperienced owner would probably thought it was a good move given RGs CV.

However the big recurring issue is forever giving people too much time in their roles even when it’s plainly obvious that they’re a walking disaster; Stam went on a good 3 months longer than he should have done, Pauno and Ince pretty much the same and obviously Gourlay should have gone after 6 months rather than 18.

Hopeful the club are getting back on top of these things for the better but not convinced by a long way as yet! And god knows what cr@p the FL will put on Reading next season given the likely lower level and lower budget. But at least there still is a club!

But I bet there’s some fans out there that are now on the verge of giving up going in order to follow some of the fairly decent non league sides now in the area. Though that may also be to do with the general malaise there is still with the professional game due to disgusting amount of money at the top level.

268 posts