Yeah been our best player over the season by a mile

We’d be long relegated without his input

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Tom Ince

by leon » 04 May 2023 09:53

Hound Yeah been our best player over the season by a mile

Maybe. Just not sure he's a positive influence on the dressing room. Hopefully now his father isn't here my worries won't be necessary.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2023 10:46

leon

Maybe. Just not sure he's a positive influence on the dressing room. Hopefully now his father isn't here my worries won't be necessary.

Think as is often the case with these type of characters it’s fine when things are going relatively well but his attitude certainly didn’t seem to help when we started on the downward spiral

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 May 2023 10:52

Hound
leon

Think as is often the case with these type of characters it’s fine when things are going relatively well but his attitude certainly didn’t seem to help when we started on the downward spiral

Fully agree. Like father, like son, when the wheels started coming off it became abundantly clear that he thought it was everyone else's fault but himself, even though his own form and performances had plummeted.

His positive input and contribution clearly helped at the start of the season but his moaning and negativity had the opposite effect in the second half of the season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 May 2023 11:09

From a footballing point of view he has been head and shoulders above everybody else.
His attitude is something else and maybe because of that he hasn't really fulfilled the promise that was there as a young player at Liverpool.

I always thought that it was odd how the very successful Man Utd team of the Keane era always seemed to be having a go at each other when we would probably feel that team bonding and all that stuff is necessary and an aid to success because our own work experiences would suggest so.
It was well documented that Andy Cole and Sheringham hardly spoke to each other but that didn't stop them producing the goods on the pitch.

Perhaps (from his father) young Tom has felt that this is the way that you do things and it's quite likely that some of our rather soft players find criticism hard to take.
When a team is winning none of this matters but once the results start to go the wrong way fingers get pointed and you end up with a group that is not really united especially when some are just passing through as this year's mercenaries.

Back to Tom, maybe we have discovered why he has had so many clubs.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 May 2023 12:14

South Coast Royal From a footballing point of view he has been head and shoulders above everybody else.
His attitude is something else and maybe because of that he hasn't really fulfilled the promise that was there as a young player at Liverpool.

I always thought that it was odd how the very successful Man Utd team of the Keane era always seemed to be having a go at each other when we would probably feel that team bonding and all that stuff is necessary and an aid to success because our own work experiences would suggest so.
It was well documented that Andy Cole and Sheringham hardly spoke to each other but that didn't stop them producing the goods on the pitch.

Perhaps (from his father) young Tom has felt that this is the way that you do things and it's quite likely that some of our rather soft players find criticism hard to take.
When a team is winning none of this matters but once the results start to go the wrong way fingers get pointed and you end up with a group that is not really united especially when some are just passing through as this year's mercenaries.

Back to Tom, maybe we have discovered why he has had so many clubs.

regarding Man U - Ferguson shipped out players that started to get above themselves (including Ince the self proclaimed "Guvnor" FFS)

I agree I think it's like father like son and absolutely not was required for a relegation scrap.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 May 2023 12:44

Hound
leon

The only thing I'd say is that maybe Tom Ince was right. Maybe he was moaning because other players weren't doing their jobs anymore to the same effect, people being less interested etc. I can understand players moaning if that was the case, I'd certainly be doing it anyway. Obviously nothing to say this is the case, ultimately nobody knows.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2023 12:58

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
leon

The only thing I'd say is that maybe Tom Ince was right. Maybe he was moaning because other players weren't doing their jobs anymore to the same effect, people being less interested etc. I can understand players moaning if that was the case, I'd certainly be doing it anyway. Obviously nothing to say this is the case, ultimately nobody knows.

Given we all saw it on the pitch regularly, we've got a pretty solid idea.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 May 2023 13:06

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

Given we all saw it on the pitch regularly, we've got a pretty solid idea.

I don't believe there was a lack of effort generally. Unfortunately the team were sent out to play anti-football and persist with tactics that just didn't work. No manner of constant criticism from the manager's son is going to change the effectiveness of the game plan.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2023 13:12

To be honest it's nice to have someone on the pitch with the bottle to call things out and gee things up WHEN IT'S NECESSARY, I really like Ince for having that within him (not to mention the guys tremendous talent) but he needs to learn to not go off on one as soon as a faux pas is made (and there will be a load of them given the one dimensional tactics the team are asked to play and the fact that many of the players just are not at the same level as he is (if they were most would be at clubs higher up the food chain).

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 May 2023 19:52

Worthy winner, happy for him, regardless of the lack of credible competition.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 May 2023 20:05

Fully deserved.

Think Lumley is shite, although inocculously so. The amount of savable goals he's conceded this year is poor. Defintely the worst keeper I can think of in modern times. No idea why we signed him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 May 2023 20:11

Jagermesiter1871 Fully deserved.

Think Lumley is shite, although inocculously so. The amount of savable goals he's conceded this year is poor. Defintely the worst keeper I can think of in modern times. No idea why we signed him.
you sound like Ian when we signed him :lol:

Lumley is not our worst ever keeper…not even in modern times tbf. his play-acting and theatricals to ‘kill time’ on the rare occasion to win (lol) or draw a game and no doubt his dressing room banter has won him the PPOTS….and understandably so.

Would be happy enough to see both again next season.

Rax

by Rax » 04 May 2023 22:06

You clearly never saw Nick Colgan!

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 May 2023 22:10

AthleticoSpizz

Lumley is not our worst ever keeper…not even in modern times tbf. his play-acting and theatricals to ‘kill time’ on the rare occasion to win (lol) or draw a game and no doubt his dressing room banter has won him the PPOTS….and understandably so.

Well quite who was clown from Everton Virginia or something

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 May 2023 22:13

Rax

Or van de kwaak or Simon Shepard

Rax

by Rax » 04 May 2023 23:15

leon
Rax

Or van de kwaak or Simon Shepard

God, VDK was awful - signed because he looked decent for the oppo in a pre season friendly - along with Kromheer, who was equally shite!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2023 23:38

AthleticoSpizz

He's certainly better than Mannone or Cabral last season.

But he's barely Championship quality.