BFTG Wigan

Dave the rave

Re: BFTG Wigan

by Dave the rave » 29 Apr 2023 20:18

My lad almost can't believe we're gonna be div 1 next season but I've assured him we've been there, done it, and come good.

Learning hard the Reading way; poor boy. :(

Edit: he's still in his full Reading kit. :lol: :wink:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Apr 2023 20:43

Far the better team, except for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half. As hard as they tried the team sadly just doesn't have the creativity required to get themselves out of trouble.

Once Wigan scored against the run of play it was always going to be an uphill battle, but we did well to get the equaliser.

Shame to see Shane struggling, he was upset with the way he played, not the way he'd have wanted to go out. Glad to see people gave him an ovation in his last home performance for the club.

Will be sad to see Meite go, always gave his all, and you could see how emotional he was at the end.

Azeez set pieces were poor today and his decision making is lacking. There is a player in there, but he's lacking that bit of quality at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 21:08

Orion1871 Far the better team, except for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half. As hard as they tried the team sadly just doesn't have the creativity required to get themselves out of trouble.

Once Wigan scored against the run of play it was always going to be an uphill battle, but we did well to get the equaliser.

Shame to see Shane struggling, he was upset with the way he played, not the way he'd have wanted to go out. Glad to see people gave him an ovation in his last home performance for the club.

Will be sad to see Meite go, always gave his all, and you could see how emotional he was at the end.

Azeez set pieces were poor today and his decision making is lacking. There is a player in there, but he's lacking that bit of quality at the moment.

Agree with all that. Been disappointed with Azeez in recent matches. Promises more.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 Apr 2023 21:35

There is a gloom hanging above us that means we were relegated ages ago. We don't get the breaks of the ball, we don't get the ref decisions, we don't get the rebounds that fall to a player to tap in.

This squad has the quality to stay up but it just hasn't happened, they don't work hard enough.

The sooner we are done with the entire team the better, I want a team that competes, that every player works their socks off every game. I'm tired of us being a soft push over.

Having said that for some reason I'm travelling to Huddersfield to suffer more pain

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Apr 2023 21:38

PieEater There is a gloom hanging above us that means we were relegated ages ago. We don't get the breaks of the ball, we don't get the ref decisions, we don't get the rebounds that fall to a player to tap in.

This squad has the quality to stay up but it just hasn't happened, they don't work hard enough.

The sooner we are done with the entire team the better, I want a team that competes, that every player works their socks off every game. I'm tired of us being a soft push over.

Having said that for some reason I'm travelling to Huddersfield to suffer more pain

They worked their bollocks off today man.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Apr 2023 21:42

Without stating the obvious, we’re simply not good enough

Too many players going through the motions and can’t wait for the summer to come

Almost felt sorry for Shane Long, woeful performance and clearly finished at this or maybe any level.

One bright spot was the fantastic support and when we equalised can’t remember hearing such a noise for many years at the Mad Stad, let’s hope we get the same support next season in League One

Webster750

by Webster750 » 29 Apr 2023 21:44

The concern now is we're going into the final game of the season (where I'm hoping we'll still have a chance) but with a bunch of players who won't be contracted here beyond that so I doubt they'll be looking to throw everything at the game given they'll be looking for new moves in only a few weeks/months.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2023 21:45

Yeah can’t fault the effort. And couldn’t when ince was in charge either tbf

There’s just a massive lack of real quality in the side. Too many players past their best or just not at that level

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Apr 2023 22:54

PieEater There is a gloom hanging above us that means we were relegated ages ago. We don't get the breaks of the ball, we don't get the ref decisions, we don't get the rebounds that fall to a player to tap in.

Hard to agree with your thoughts they do t work hard enough, I just think us shopping in the bargain aisle has meant we have some really weary legs at this stage in the season. Hendrick and Long as examples gave absolutely everything today but due to their age we’re getting beaten for pace constantly. Joao in recent weeks has been ineffective going forwards (Cov goal aside), but you cannot fault the tracking back he has been doing. Sarr and Holmes generally look comfortable unless the ball is being crossed into the box.

The injuries we’ve had have meant the past couple of weeks we have an inferior team in terms of quality and it’s shown, but I haven’t seen any lack of effort.

elrey

by elrey » 30 Apr 2023 00:01

JR We relegated two teams with that Yak goal.

Why not make it a hat-trick on Coronation Monday?

As a club of unique records, has one club ever been (semi) directly responsible for relegating all 3 clubs below them?

With that result we relegated ourselves and Wigan....

If you can't beat Wigan, Huddlesfield only need to draw with us to survive, we couldn't beat Wigan at home, and Rotherham need one draw from two, one of them being against a team with nothing to play for, Wigan.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2023 01:17

Seeems there were visible “words” at the final whistle between Mr Maloney and members of the Azeez family:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/footba ... ez-4124782

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2023 07:22

Yep done.

Only way we stay up is other results going for us and beating Hudds.

They won't and even if they do, we will need to do the double over a side. Something we have failed to do yet.

Done. Stevenage awaits.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 30 Apr 2023 09:47

McIntyre our best player yesterday, by a long way. His reading, intercepting, tackling, heading and passing - keeping possession was superb. We must keep him for next season whatever happens over the next 8 days.
We have no creativity - no final pass.
That’s why those players who are capable of doing just that… at the critical split second moment… cost the most.
This season has never been about building anything - it’s been about offloading what we don’t need - keeping hold of a core of what we do need and staying up. And we may not make it.
The crowd yesterday really was something. So many faces with their love of our Club etched into their faces…
The block on Casadei’s shot after Azeez ran down the right and put in n excellent near post ball at 1-1 was what stopped us winning at the death yesterday, these tiny margins ….
Until it’s impossible, we have a chance.
Huddersfield will have played two massive games in 5 days before possibly their (and our) biggest on day 7….
We have a week’s rest….
And there are three games this week that we are not playing in and yet mean more to us than any game of football for possibly as long as 23 years.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 30 Apr 2023 09:56

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871 Far the better team, except for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half. As hard as they tried the team sadly just doesn't have the creativity required to get themselves out of trouble.

Agree with all that. Been disappointed with Azeez in recent matches. Promises more.

Azeez has had his confidence severely dented this season and, as is often the case when players are lacking confidence; he tries too hard to create the perfect pass or the perfect cross or set piece; instead of just being cool and focussed; which players with confidence exude; he tightens up…
When he hit that instinctive shot that was inches wide; that was a glimpse of what he is capable of… and the near post cross to Casadei was class too, both almost won us the game…
He needs game time and his confidence will grow…

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Apr 2023 10:19

SCIAG In my opinion Hunt is not up to the job in the long run.

Of course he isn’t. Even with the new manager honeymoon bounce and relegation fight we’re rubbish. We should have *comfortably* demolished Wigan.

Your comment sounds like a Millsy Shitjoke but the sad fact is you say it because with Dai it’s a real possibility. It won’t prevent clueless idiot Dai just take the easy option and keep him on, or worse still get some nobody from abroad or new to management, or a has been failure. To think that we could have had obvious choices like Ainsworth or Warnock but didn’t even try. And these are the very guys who are sending us down!

Is it too much to ask Dai to actually put some thought into headhunting a decent manager, one with a track record in English football. Rather than going by his advisors or just taking the easy option wherever possible.

You have to wonder how he amassed so much wealth without basic skills in building a decent team. Ploughing millions against the rules into players but not giving any thought to the most important person I.e. the one who manages them.

Real risk of sounding like the resident troll but sorry to say that from bitter experience this is the trouble when you look at successful people from corrupt places. So many of the rich in these places aren’t actually good they gain their wealth through unfair/easy means, not from actually being shithot in a ‘proper’ free democracy, like Madesjki was for example.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2023 11:12

Hadn't realised how entertaining life as a Wigan fan must be...

Since winning the FA Cup they've been in Europe, been relegated 5 times, won League One 3 times, been to the Championship playoffs, an FA Cup semi-final, nearly went down to League Two, been docked points and narrowly avoided going under

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2023 12:28

Thought we played well in general. 21 shots and 13 corners, most unusual for us. End product was a bit lacking and the ball just didn’t quite fall for us (until Meite’s goal) and by then, too late

Midfield three controlled the game (albeit against a poor team) and the defence, NGW aside, all played well. Hoilett was excellent for the first 30 but offered little past that. Long, for all the endeavour and effort, struggled. Joao never got into the game

Felt it was a mistake bringing Azeez on to play on the left in front of NGW. We’ve been crying out for some dynamism all season but both of them on the same side spells trouble and it was no surprise we conceded from those two not doing their jobs properly

7 - Lumley Yiadom Holmes Sarr McIntyre Casadei Meite
6 - Hendrick Hoilett Azeez
5 - Long NGW
4 - Joao

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Apr 2023 12:52

Scrappy game, wouldn't have looked out of place in a division lower.

My main takeaway from the game was the 4 people sitting behind us who's language and behaviour was beyond belief. We had an 8 year old with us attending only his 2nd game but there were loads of other kids around us too, some younger than 8.

The 4 people behind us couldn't say a single sentence to each other without it being shouted and including multiple swears every time. The constant air of anger from them towards anything happening on the pitch was weird and not easy to listen to. The amount of c bombs litering everything they said was bewildering, and the bit when one of them decided he was going to shout that every single player individually on our team was a 'f***ing c**t' and gave it a try was awful to hear, but it peaked when the oldest one of their group (mid 50's maybe) was jumping up and down like a child having a tantrum, banging his seat up and down, even seemingly punching his seat at times, whilst screaming 'you f***ing useless c**ts' over and over at the top of his voice when we missed a chance in the 2nd half. He genuinely looked at times like a person completely out of control.

I don't mind a swear, when you take kids to football you need to accept in advance that they are going to hear some choice language. But yesterday those 4 behind us were way, way beyond anything that I have ever heard at football, and I have been going for more than 30 years.

Not sure if it was me or the youngster with us who was more in a state of anxiety to the point of struggling to concentrate on the game during the 2nd half.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2023 13:26

Millsy
SCIAG In my opinion Hunt is not up to the job in the long run.

Of course he isn’t. Even with the new manager honeymoon bounce and relegation fight we’re rubbish. We should have *comfortably* demolished Wigan.

Your comment sounds like a Millsy Shitjoke but the sad fact is you say it because with Dai it’s a real possibility. It won’t prevent clueless idiot Dai just take the easy option and keep him on, or worse still get some nobody from abroad or new to management, or a has been failure. To think that we could have had obvious choices like Ainsworth or Warnoc

Stopped reading there. I'll take Dai's judgement over anyone who would consider Warnock.

We haven't been able to pay a fee so Ainsworth was never an option for us. And it's not like he has a good record in the Championship.

That's the reason why there's a chance Hunt might get the job - the only options are internal appointments, or unemployed people who actually want it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 13:33

Winston Biscuit Scrappy game, wouldn't have looked out of place in a division lower.

My main takeaway from the game was the 4 people sitting behind us who's language and behaviour was beyond belief. We had an 8 year old with us attending only his 2nd game but there were loads of other kids around us too, some younger than 8.

The 4 people behind us couldn't say a single sentence to each other without it being shouted and including multiple swears every time. The constant air of anger from them towards anything happening on the pitch was weird and not easy to listen to. The amount of c bombs litering everything they said was bewildering, and the bit when one of them decided he was going to shout that every single player individually on our team was a 'f***ing c**t' and gave it a try was awful to hear, but it peaked when the oldest one of their group (mid 50's maybe) was jumping up and down like a child having a tantrum, banging his seat up and down, even seemingly punching his seat at times, whilst screaming 'you f***ing useless c**ts' over and over at the top of his voice when we missed a chance in the 2nd half. He genuinely looked at times like a person completely out of control.

I don't mind a swear, when you take kids to football you need to accept in advance that they are going to hear some choice language. But yesterday those 4 behind us were way, way beyond anything that I have ever heard at football, and I have been going for more than 30 years.

Not sure if it was me or the youngster with us who was more in a state of anxiety to the point of struggling to concentrate on the game during the 2nd half.

That's appalling and sorry to hear this. Where were you sat?

I get that tempers and frustrations boil over and this is the worst era in the club for a quarter of a century but I don't see what that behaviour really achieves. Whilst not condoning that kind of behaviour it is a bit of a shame that it wasn't in front of Dai Yongge! He needs to see that the fans aren't tolerating what's been going on. He has got away with so much with little criticism until recently.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 30 Apr 2023 13:34, edited 2 times in total.