Other (please state)
8%

Total votes: 99
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Revised new manager poll

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 18:57

karbota
SCIAG You took three weeks to revise the poll... and still created a list primarily composed of former Reading players with no success at this level. You can afford to gamble a little in League One but McAnuff is basically a name picked out of a hat.

Of the remainder, Wellens, Johnson, and Parkinson are currently employed, and thus unaffordable (I also don't think anyone would be considering Parky if not for his Reading connection, but he has at least achieved things). Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton, but could work. So that leaves Cowley.

If I was going to appoint a former Reading player without significant managerial experience, Adi Viveash would be my choice. Don't know if Coventry would let him go or if he'd take it.

I'm coming around to the view that bringing back Brian might genuinely be the best option. I'd be reasonably happy with Jones, Cowley, or Karl Robinson.

At last someone agrees.

Not hard getting Wrexham out of non league football really. They're way too big to be in that division long term

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 30 Apr 2023 18:58

Voted Kerr, he won’t get it…but he really should. Done fantastic things at every club he has been at, wherever it has been. Here in Chesterfield, he was extremely well respected for his work with their academy. They were gutted to see him go. He also loves the Royals! Probably go to Hunt or Murts though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2023 19:07

Ascotexgunner
SCIAG You took three weeks to revise the poll... and still created a list primarily composed of former Reading players with no success at this level. You can afford to gamble a little in League One but McAnuff is basically a name picked out of a hat.

Of the remainder, Wellens, Johnson, and Parkinson are currently employed, and thus unaffordable (I also don't think anyone would be considering Parky if not for his Reading connection, but he has at least achieved things). Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton, but could work. So that leaves Cowley.

If I was going to appoint a former Reading player without significant managerial experience, Adi Viveash would be my choice. Don't know if Coventry would let him go or if he'd take it.

I'm coming around to the view that bringing back Brian might genuinely be the best option. I'd be reasonably happy with Jones, Cowley, or Karl Robinson.

"Jones has been a disaster".....got promotion at Luton and then left them when they were pushing at the top of the championship. How is that disaster? He is a good championship manager and the kind we need with barrel we are staring down. He looks a better fit than any of the others on that list.

Key point was "everywhere other than Luton".

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2023 19:15

SCIAG
Ascotexgunner

"Jones has been a disaster".....got promotion at Luton and then left them when they were pushing at the top of the championship. How is that disaster? He is a good championship manager and the kind we need with barrel we are staring down. He looks a better fit than any of the others on that list.

Key point was "everywhere other than Luton".

To be fair the managers who replaced him at Soton and Stoke have not done much better.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Apr 2023 20:19

O`Shea leading, the other two ex Man U players worked out very well didn`t they, okay so Carrick is doing well but I wouldn`t take the risk.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Apr 2023 20:25

Yeah thanks no thanks to hunty.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2023 22:12

windermereROYAL O`Shea leading, the other two ex Man U players worked out very well didn`t they, okay so Carrick is doing well but I wouldn`t take the risk.

Coppell and Stam?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2023 22:16

SCIAG
windermereROYAL O`Shea leading, the other two ex Man U players worked out very well didn`t they, okay so Carrick is doing well but I wouldn`t take the risk.

Coppell and Stam?

He is good mates with both Hunt brothers, I think they we’re from the same part of Ireland.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 May 2023 02:00

Needle
SCIAG Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton

This. Can't stand the god-bothering weirdo. Anyone but him please.

He’s a mental Christian?

Very much out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 07:21

Critchley, Cowley, wellens, Jones in that order for me

Quite a lot of articles about cowley’s style knocking about and I think it’d be a good fit. Really liked the Blackpool team Critchley put together

Both relatively young but with experience of L1, and available afaik
Last edited by Hound on 01 May 2023 07:57, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 07:24

tidus_mi2 Not sure but I'd be very deflated if they give it to Hunt, the best credit you can give him is he arrested the run of defeats but all he managed was draws.

It was a run of 1 defeat, we drawn the previous 3. So basically no change.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2023 07:58

Hound
tidus_mi2 Not sure but I'd be very deflated if they give it to Hunt, the best credit you can give him is he arrested the run of defeats but all he managed was draws.

It was a run of 1 defeat, we drawn the previous 3. So basically no change.

Each of those draws was battling. Burnley we had no chance of winning, Luton we should have won but we were poor against Wigan and hardly worked the keeper.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 May 2023 08:10

Winston Biscuit In Oct 2017 I said we should appoint a young up and coming manager, who is a former Royal, called Graham Potter who at the time was doing really well at Ostersund in Sweden

Yous lot weren't keen though

He was rubbish at Chelsea

I’m out

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2023 08:53

SouthDownsRoyal
Winston Biscuit In Oct 2017 I said we should appoint a young up and coming manager, who is a former Royal, called Graham Potter who at the time was doing really well at Ostersund in Sweden

I’m out

Is he desperate enough to relaunch his now "floundering" career in the the third division, albeit at a club he must have close ties with considering his month on loan here 20+ years ago. Well I suppose he at least would have experience of being employed by basket case clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 09:24

SouthDownsRoyal

I’m out

Thought he was average at Swansea and the new guy at Brighton has far surpassed his efforts there so far

Tbf he did do well at Brighton in saying that

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 May 2023 12:12

SCIAG

Coppell and Stam?

Don`t let the fact we reached the play-off final cloud your vision, the football was horrible, and so it proved in his 2nd season when teams figured out how to play against us, 7 wins in a calendar year told it`s own sorry story..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 12:45

One of the reasons why going down may well help us, is (assuming Dai can stop being such a massive fukwit) that we can get off the managerial roundabout and give someone decent a chance to build something over a prolonged period without the threat of being sacked at a poor run with relegation looming. Maintain some decent continuity and look beyond the next six months for a change.

Even with all our problems, we should be too good to be in serious danger of a relegation fight in L1 for the time being. About 16th is probably the lowest we should find ourselves.

That means we can actually give take the pressure off and give someone time to learn the squad, build on it and get beyond any mistakes. We simply don't have the luxury of that in the Championship with the never ending cycle of no hopers and desperate performances.

I'm less worried about who it is, than that they get time. Though i would like someone with actual league management experience rather than the nostalgia of an explayer. Bring them in to the set up for succession planning by all means, but not straight into the hotseat.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 May 2023 13:08

I'm genuinely not so sure that a manager would last that long if we were to be labouring about in 16th in League One, even with all the changes that we will need to make this summer. I'm still expecting us to be in the play off places really at a minimum, anything less is an underachievement in my opinion, so I doubt anyone would be staying if we were 16th.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 13:13

YorkshireRoyal99 I'm genuinely not so sure that a manager would last that long if we were to be labouring about in 16th in League One, even with all the changes that we will need to make this summer. I'm still expecting us to be in the play off places really at a minimum, anything less is an underachievement in my opinion, so I doubt anyone would be staying if we were 16th.

Can't keep sacking a manager every year.

Hope for better, but unless you're in serious danger of relegation, give them at least two summer transfer windows and 18 months, preferably 2 years.

I expect us to be a fair bit better than 16th, but we're going to need a lot of work on the squad and be relying on quite a few young players. Our midfield will be entirely new again in all probability.

We should have a three year plan and not panic if year one is a bit of a struggle.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2023 13:36

Snowflake Royal One of the reasons why going down may well help us, is (assuming Dai can stop being such a massive fukwit) that we can get off the managerial roundabout and give someone decent a chance to build something over a prolonged period without the threat of being sacked at a poor run with relegation looming. Maintain some decent continuity and look beyond the next six months for a change.

Even with all our problems, we should be too good to be in serious danger of a relegation fight in L1 for the time being. About 16th is probably the lowest we should find ourselves.

That means we can actually give take the pressure off and give someone time to learn the squad, build on it and get beyond any mistakes. We simply don't have the luxury of that in the Championship with the never ending cycle of no hopers and desperate performances.

I'm less worried about who it is, than that they get time. Though i would like someone with actual league management experience rather than the nostalgia of an explayer. Bring them in to the set up for succession planning by all means, but not straight into the hotseat.

Good points there and agree it should be the approach. I worry if Dai will be patient enough, I think he'll be expecting whoever manages us to seal promotion immediately.

I want playoffs within 2 years maximum and promotion within 3 years. Any less then the manager has failed. That shouldn't be hard to do.

256 posts