8%
Other (please state)
8%

Total votes: 99
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Revised new manager poll

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2023 15:57

Now we have a better idea where the club will be playing next season and the likely names available (sadly think Mark Robins, Michael Duff and Stephen Schumacher won’t be interested) who would you to slag off next as a hopeless case after the first game or two?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Revised new manager poll

by Orion1871 » 30 Apr 2023 16:05

Out of that list probably the angry Welsh nail biter. I won't wait until 1 or 2 games into next season to say that none of them really inspire any great confidence or excitement.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 30 Apr 2023 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Apr 2023 16:05

Not sure but I'd be very deflated if they give it to Hunt, the best credit you can give him is he arrested the run of defeats but all he managed was draws.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Apr 2023 16:29

Not sure how many of the mentioned would either a) want the job and/or b) be good enough for the job. The former possibly applying to someone like Nathan Jones, the latter being someone like Richie Wellens.

I'd be behind someone like John O'Shea, I think he might be able to build something decent and having a young manager coming through has seen it's positives for a lot of clubs recently.

An ok, yet uninspiring, choice would be someone like Leam Richardson, previously at Wigan.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Apr 2023 16:29

O'Shea just about on that list. Will likely have decent contacts too.

None of the nostalgia options, Jobi sounds good on Sky but would be a major risk

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2023 16:36

You took three weeks to revise the poll... and still created a list primarily composed of former Reading players with no success at this level. You can afford to gamble a little in League One but McAnuff is basically a name picked out of a hat.

Of the remainder, Wellens, Johnson, and Parkinson are currently employed, and thus unaffordable (I also don't think anyone would be considering Parky if not for his Reading connection, but he has at least achieved things). Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton, but could work. So that leaves Cowley.

If I was going to appoint a former Reading player without significant managerial experience, Adi Viveash would be my choice. Don't know if Coventry would let him go or if he'd take it.

I'm coming around to the view that bringing back Brian might genuinely be the best option. I'd be reasonably happy with Jones, Cowley, or Karl Robinson.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2023 16:40

tidus_mi2 Not sure but I'd be very deflated if they give it to Hunt, the best credit you can give him is he arrested the run of defeats but all he managed was draws.

I want to see Hunt as a succession plan.

He's done ok... 1 defeat in 4, improved application and approach. Not enough to give him the job now, but enough that when the club is in a better state and he's developed some more it's worth another go.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 16:48

Not Hunt. I get he's only had 4 games but tactically I don't think he's been great. Let him go back to managing the academy!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 16:49

SCIAG You took three weeks to revise the poll... and still created a list primarily composed of former Reading players with no success at this level. You can afford to gamble a little in League One but McAnuff is basically a name picked out of a hat.

Of the remainder, Wellens, Johnson, and Parkinson are currently employed, and thus unaffordable (I also don't think anyone would be considering Parky if not for his Reading connection, but he has at least achieved things). Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton, but could work. So that leaves Cowley.

If I was going to appoint a former Reading player without significant managerial experience, Adi Viveash would be my choice. Don't know if Coventry would let him go or if he'd take it.

I'm coming around to the view that bringing back Brian might genuinely be the best option. I'd be reasonably happy with Jones, Cowley, or Karl Robinson.

Viveash would 100% come here I think if Coventry don't go up

Needle

by Needle » 30 Apr 2023 17:12

SCIAG Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton

This. Can't stand the god-bothering weirdo. Anyone but him please.

Needle

by Needle » 30 Apr 2023 17:20

I will get behind anybody that Bowen appoints. Everything I've heard and read from him has been reassuring.

As mentioned on the ST thread, if it looks like our next boss is a Joorabchian client there's a good chance I'll sack the whole thing off. If Yongge hasn't learned lessons from the last few seasons we won't be going anywhere except down again.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Apr 2023 17:25

Ryan Mason

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Apr 2023 17:29

In Oct 2017 I said we should appoint a young up and coming manager, who is a former Royal, called Graham Potter who at the time was doing really well at Ostersund in Sweden

Yous lot weren't keen though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2023 18:05

Winston Biscuit In Oct 2017 I said we should appoint a young up and coming manager, who is a former Royal, called Graham Potter who at the time was doing really well at Ostersund in Sweden

Yous lot weren't keen though

It wasn't like everyone fell over trying to ridicule you. We just didn't fall over agreeing with you. Nobody responded or even mentioned his name. Ostersund had just played Arsenal and Potter was the flavour of the week, with glowing profiles being written up all over the media, but other than that nobody had seen his teams play. It turned out Potter was interested in the Championship, but personally I thought there was a chance he'd get a Premier League job.

You were right, he went on to bigger things, and nobody else on here was talking about him until later that year when ascotexgunner started banging the Potter drum (although he thought the club he managed was called "Ostrich").

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2023 18:10

Would love to get Parky, if not how about Jamie Cureton as Player manager as he can still bang em in.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2023 18:12

SCIAG You took three weeks to revise the poll... and still created a list primarily composed of former Reading players with no success at this level. You can afford to gamble a little in League One but McAnuff is basically a name picked out of a hat.

At last someone agrees.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Apr 2023 18:39

Nathan Jones is the only one I'd consider....all the others seem to have characterics of all the other flops or are clubs "legends" which never ends well.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 30 Apr 2023 18:40

Neil Critchley for me. But want someone who isn’t afraid to use the youth. Could be a big season for someone like Camara.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Apr 2023 18:44

karbota

At last someone agrees.

"Jones has been a disaster".....got promotion at Luton and then left them when they were pushing at the top of the championship. How is that disaster? He is a good championship manager and the kind we need with barrel we are staring down. He looks a better fit than any of the others on that list.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2023 18:52

Needle
SCIAG Nathan Jones has been a disaster everywhere other than Luton

This. Can't stand the god-bothering weirdo. Anyone but him please.

Luton were on a positive momentum when he was boss there so I would go as far to say that most managers would have done well there. Chances are he'd fail here but wouldn't be upset if we appointed him.

I'd back Murty or Viveash if we go for an ex player. Cowley would be an ok external appointment. Karl Robinson would be meh but he knows that league well.

We have to start getting managerial appointments right, we've not got any of them right since Dai bought the club and they've been sacked within 18 months. It doesn't help with managers chopping and changing who plays for the club, there's no consistency or way to build a team which we'll need to do if we want to return to the championship.

256 posts