8%
Other (please state)
8%

Total votes: 99
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Revised new manager poll

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 09:28

Jackson Corner Scott Parker? Although he would demand a high salary and an open cheque book as that’s all he had before.

You genuinely believe somebody with Scott Parker's ego would manage in League 1? Seriously.....

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 May 2023 10:34

Jody Morris?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 May 2023 10:50

morganb Jody Morris?

From a Swindon fan I know its said that the moment he arrived brought chaos behind the scenes and many people were not talking to many other people

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 May 2023 15:44

Snowflake Royal One of the reasons why going down may well help us, is (assuming Dai can stop being such a massive fukwit) that we can get off the managerial roundabout and give someone decent a chance to build something over a prolonged period without the threat of being sacked at a poor run with relegation looming. Maintain some decent continuity and look beyond the next six months for a change.

Even with all our problems, we should be too good to be in serious danger of a relegation fight in L1 for the time being. About 16th is probably the lowest we should find ourselves.

That means we can actually give take the pressure off and give someone time to learn the squad, build on it and get beyond any mistakes. We simply don't have the luxury of that in the Championship with the never ending cycle of no hopers and desperate performances.

I'm less worried about who it is, than that they get time. Though i would like someone with actual league management experience rather than the nostalgia of an explayer. Bring them in to the set up for succession planning by all means, but not straight into the hotseat.

I'd love for all that to be true but the pressure will definitely be on to get promoted straight away.

If we're bumbling around anywhere near 16th place in League 1 or bottom half then whoever is manager won't last long.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 May 2023 16:57

morganb
Winston Biscuit Where is all the John O'Shea love coming from? What has he done to show he is the manager to get us up near the top of L1? I feel I may have missed an entire chapter on something he has done

Mr Dai likes an ex-Manchester United player. We've had Stam and Ince as managers and O'Shea and Fortune as backroom staff before. Surprised Roy Keane and Steve Bruce aren't being considered too.

Was a bit disappointed that "One of the player's dads" wasn't an option as that's the way we went last time.

Still think it will be Mark Hughes (and it fits with the old Man Utd player piece) with O'Shea and Niedweski alongside him

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 May 2023 16:59

Hughes would be ideal (strong Bowen link obviously), but as he's employed we probably can't afford him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2023 17:01

Snowflake Royal Well I can't help you see.

It's pretty obvious to be fair. Only the biased would suggest otherwise. Our performances aren't any better and, most importantly, nor are our results. Slight difference in how we play, but mostly still the same.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 May 2023 17:05

For once, just once, why can't we get a manger who actually has a track record of success in the league were going to play in?

Not some 'promising' manager from the Romanian second division. Not someone who had been the number 2 at West Ham and Brentford. Not a 'big name' player. Not even someone who's done well in league 2. An actual, manager with relevant experience.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 May 2023 19:27

Elm Park Kid For once, just once, why can't we get a manger who actually has a track record of success in the league were going to play in?

Not some 'promising' manager from the Romanian second division. Not someone who had been the number 2 at West Ham and Brentford. Not a 'big name' player. Not even someone who's done well in league 2. An actual, manager with relevant experience.

I can see a few decent ones available at the end of the season once the relegations/promotions/playoffs are sorted, but trust me, we won't get any of them. We will just carry on with the same shit manager model. Then replace him with another one in the new year because we will be about 17th.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 03 May 2023 14:09

Out of that lot, I'd go:

1. Wellens
2. Jones
3. McAnuff - A punt, but he's very knowledgeable and the fans love him.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 03 May 2023 14:37

McAnuff with McDermott in a mentor\advisor role

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2023 14:41

Yeah lets just keep bringing back ex players and managers all the time, worked out great for us in the past.

No, now is the time for a new approach and to break all links with the past. Its over, we aren't that club anymore. We can be again one day but only if we make the right changes.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 May 2023 14:46

NathStPaul Yeah lets just keep bringing back ex players and managers all the time, worked out great for us in the past.

No, now is the time for a new approach and to break all links with the past. Its over, we aren't that club anymore. We can be again one day but only if we make the right changes.

It's only football.

Doesn't matter who the manager is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2023 17:40

You've been really stung by that haven’t you Orion...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 May 2023 18:10

6ft Kerplunk McAnuff with McDermott in a mentor\advisor role

Change the emphasis. McDermott in charge, he's got the track record. McAnuff should be his assistant, potentially filling in on occasion, with an eye on becoming a manager in the long term.

I'm not wedded to the McAnuff idea at all, but becoming assistant manager would be the natural step for him, whereas manager would be a bit much. I'm also not sure having his ex-boss in any sort of formal role would be a good idea - I remember Coppell saying that when he became DoF at Crystal Palace it undermined the authority of the new manager. If we want McDermott then appoint McDermott, don't have him act "through" a former player with no managerial experience.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 May 2023 19:40

6ft Kerplunk McAnuff with McDermott in a mentor\advisor role

WTF???? You want to put Brian McDermott who is recovering from alcoholism and severe depression in an advisors role? This f*cking club will be the end of him. As far as Jobi goes, why do you think we have flopped, season after season when it's clear we are screaming out for experience, not more newbie or inexperienced managers at this level.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 May 2023 20:44

Snowflake Royal You've been really stung by that haven’t you Orion...

Nah. It's only football.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 05 May 2023 20:37

Danny Cowley has since moved into the betting favourite

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2023 20:53

Elm Park Kid For once, just once, why can't we get a manger who actually has a track record of success in the league were going to play in?

Even Ian Holloway would do :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2023 21:06

I'd have Cowley

256 posts