644 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The squad in July

by Royal_jimmy » 09 May 2023 12:18

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy
Needle
Not the first time I've heard this. Seen him a few times for the ressies, and now today, I'm far from convinced.

I have no idea why we signed a Sutton keeper, much less give him a long contract. The no1 shirt is one of my biggest concerns for next season.

Bouzanis looks a solid if not unspectacular keeper for us based on what I saw. A bit like Lumley but not quite as good and a bit less commanding.

The downside to keeping both is we'll have 2 keepers on the smaller side.

Steve Death and Steve Francis were both on the small side yet both were outstanding keepers for Reading.

Good point. Height isn't everything but it helps a lot. Federici was a good keeper and he was only 6 foot 2 (same height as Bouzanis is). It is a weakness though we'll need to keep in mind if we have them as our first 2.

Both of them need a good pre-season, if they're making errors in pre-season friendlies then the defence will pick up on that. When a defence is comfortable with who's in goal it makes a big difference.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 May 2023 12:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh So now we await the confirmation on who is going to be offered a new contract and who the club will release. Obviously expecting Joao and (sadly) Meitie to leave but if there is a surprise it may be in the club offering a deal to Southwood.

We might trigger his deal although I'd still potentially expect us to sign somebody better and then have a first choice goalkeeper and then Bouzanis and Southwood for 2nd and 3rd choice. Whether Southwood wants to stay for that sort of role or would prefer more first team games elsewhere is another matter, I suspect it may be the latter.

Southwood is 25 now so unless he's happy being understudy for most of his career then he needs to be offered regular football with us or I expect he'll move on.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 May 2023 12:38

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh So now we await the confirmation on who is going to be offered a new contract and who the club will release. Obviously expecting Joao and (sadly) Meitie to leave but if there is a surprise it may be in the club offering a deal to Southwood.

We might trigger his deal although I'd still potentially expect us to sign somebody better and then have a first choice goalkeeper and then Bouzanis and Southwood for 2nd and 3rd choice. Whether Southwood wants to stay for that sort of role or would prefer more first team games elsewhere is another matter, I suspect it may be the latter.

Southwood is 25 now so unless he's happy being understudy for most of his career then he needs to be offered regular football with us or I expect he'll move on.

Yeah we need to be looking at players who are going to get us out of this league and be capable in the Championship. I can imagine Southwood probably moving on to be honest. He will probably make a decent career out of it being at League One level.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 09 May 2023 16:35

YorkshireRoyal99 The biggest thing for me is looking to try and bring players in who can play in the Championship, a few of the seasoned players we'd look to bring in over the summer ideally want Championship experience like what others in L1 brought in (Derby; Hourihane, McGoldrick, Sheff Wednesday; Flint and Vaulks etc).

Youngsters that have potential to grow need to be at L1 level and be able to progress. After today, not sure how many are ready, but Abrefa has been involved a bit so could be ok to have in, CBC needs a loan, Senga maybe later on into next season, same with Camara. Kelvin E who knows yet. But any youngsters we sign need to be at L1 level and be able to improve. See which clubs have had some promising players that we can nab seen as we will be a wealthy club for next season.

Don't agree with bringing in lots of over 30 Championship players. One or two for experience potentially. However, if we have money, then would rather we look at decent younger players. Either playing in League One or Two or being released by Prem teams.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2023 16:38

I’d be happy enough if Southwood stayed as first choice next year. He’s obviously had a good season and would be cheap and he has experience now

Prob wouldn’t waste the likely higher wage on Lumley

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 May 2023 16:46

savage 4 england
YorkshireRoyal99 The biggest thing for me is looking to try and bring players in who can play in the Championship, a few of the seasoned players we'd look to bring in over the summer ideally want Championship experience like what others in L1 brought in (Derby; Hourihane, McGoldrick, Sheff Wednesday; Flint and Vaulks etc).

Youngsters that have potential to grow need to be at L1 level and be able to progress. After today, not sure how many are ready, but Abrefa has been involved a bit so could be ok to have in, CBC needs a loan, Senga maybe later on into next season, same with Camara. Kelvin E who knows yet. But any youngsters we sign need to be at L1 level and be able to improve. See which clubs have had some promising players that we can nab seen as we will be a wealthy club for next season.

Don't agree with bringing in lots of over 30 Championship players. One or two for experience potentially. However, if we have money, then would rather we look at decent younger players. Either playing in League One or Two or being released by Prem teams.

I wouldn't fill our squad with them, but I'd be looking at players who are experienced and seasoned or maybe even in their primes. Bringing in players with Championship experience and/or quality that are between 25-32 in age would be some good business for us and then supplementing this with young players who can improve and are already operating at L1 level would be what I'm aiming for.

I know having a young squad has worked for the likes of Sunderland, but that's not the case at every club. It's something we could go for, but ideally I don't want to have a starting XI of U23 players that could easily get poached by other clubs and then we are sitting having to rebuild every season.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 May 2023 16:49

YorkshireRoyal99
savage 4 england

I wouldn't fill our squad with them, but I'd be looking at players who are experienced and seasoned or maybe even in their primes. Bringing in players with Championship experience and/or quality that are between 25-32 in age would be some good business for us and then supplementing this with young players who can improve and are already operating at L1 level would be what I'm aiming for.

I know having a young squad has worked for the likes of Sunderland, but that's not the case at every club. It's something we could go for, but ideally I don't want to have a starting XI of U23 players that could easily get poached by other clubs and then we are sitting having to rebuild every season.

The obvious question is why would any player of championship ability, at that stage of their career, want to drop down to League One?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 May 2023 17:01

tmesis
YorkshireRoyal99
savage 4 england Don't agree with bringing in lots of over 30 Championship players. One or two for experience potentially. However, if we have money, then would rather we look at decent younger players. Either playing in League One or Two or being released by Prem teams.

The obvious question is why would any player of championship ability, at that stage of their career, want to drop down to League One?

Depends who it is, if anyone is interested, location, wages etc. There are some players in Sheff Wednesday's squad, for example, who could do a job for some Championship sides. Vaulks and Flint for example could play at Championship level in my opinion. Derby have some players who could still do a job in the Championship as well. Admittedly, some of those probably aren't "at their peaks", but would likely still be capable of doing a job in the Championship.

Undoubtedly will be difficult to recruit in some ways, but we could potentially pick some players up who might still be good enough to play in the Championship.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 May 2023 17:31

Had a quick look at the Football Manager ratings for each player contracted to a side who will (or could be) in League One next season (ie. the starting positions for each side without any transfers happening).

The estimated rating of each squad (best twenty-two outfield players and best three goalkeepers) was compared to the squad rating to points ratio for League One clubs this season to estimate how many points each starting squad would've likely got in League One this season. Where there are gaps in the squad, the space is filled with a player equal to the worst player who makes the squad of any other team (someone of the ability that wouldn't get them in the Hungerford or Basingstoke side).

Top six:
  1. Barnsley (L1 Play-Offs) - 60pts
  2. Peterborough (L1 Play-Offs) - 57pts
  3. Blackpool - 50pts
  4. Reading - 50pts
  5. Derby - 49pts
  6. Oxford - 48pts
(The bottom three were Carlisle (L2 Play-Offs) with six points; Wycombe with six points and Stevenage with 4pts - who only three contracted players for next season apparently).

If we extended the contracts of NGW, Mbengue, Southwood, Tetek, CBC, Camara and Jahmari Clarke - all of which are possible (some may already be under contract, but the information is very fuzzy with younger players) - our estimated points would jump to 83. We should have a squad good enough to compete for the play-offs - if we extend those six and aren't involved in any transfers (we will be).

In practice, we'll require a manager who can get the best of the players and is able to improve the confidence of the players. We'll also need a settled team to allow players to understand their roles and how the players around them play - something I feel we've lacked in the past few seasons and is a major factor in our poor performances.

In terms of improvements to the squad. We're most in need of central midfielders and wingers - so they should be the priority. I agree with others in that we should bring in a load of over-30 Championship players, although one or two would be worth having if they've got the right mentality. Ideally decent younger players either from League One/Two (perhaps Scotland/Ireland) or released by Premier League/Championship teams who could develop from being League One level to Championship level within the next couple of seasons should be the primary target.

We'll probably try to offload Ejaria (even without a transfer fee - like Pogrebnyak), while players like Ince or Holmes may be sold to a lower Championship club for a fee.

With the type of signings Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have managed to make with similar restrictions to us over the past couple of seasons, although both would probably have bigger budgets than us, I think we'll end up with a squad good enough to compete for the play-offs with mid-table a minimum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2023 17:53

Whilst I think it would be sensible to extend Southwood. I don’t think we're likely to, or he'd want us to.

Although we're more likely to with someone other than Ince in charge than if he'd stayed.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 09 May 2023 18:09

Is anyone ITK regarding relegation clauses in contracted players?

For example, Ince jnr.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 May 2023 11:02

Meite saying goodbye on twatter and all the many fools on there begging him not to go, one guy even called him a Reading legend...really???
He`s spent more time in the treatment room than on the field over the last two years, get rid of the sodding sick notes and get people in that are not out for six months after tripping over their shoe laces.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2023 11:07

windermereROYAL Meite saying goodbye on twatter and all the many fools on there begging him not to go, one guy even called him a Reading legend...really???
He`s spent more time in the treatment room than on the field over the last two years, get rid of the sodding sick notes and get people in that are not out for six months after tripping over their shoe laces.

Would love him to be offered and to accept a deal as he always seems to be a cheery happy soul and great with fans - and god knows we need that around the place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2023 12:15

One of our genuinely quality positive players over the last decade. But time to part ways and wish each other well.

He's too expensive and too high risk on injuries. By all means offer him a £8k contract, but he's not going to accept it when he can easily get 50% more minimum at most Champ clubs.

Absolutely love the guy though.

DarOv

by DarOv » 10 May 2023 12:22

YorkshireRoyal99
savage 4 england

I think this is the main disadvantage of young players - they can be poached by other clubs, paying more money. But on the other hand, what is Reading's goal? If the goal is to form a permanent team, which will not be changed due to the loss of a key player, then such a player should be paid as much money as another club will not pay.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 May 2023 12:47

South Coast Royal I wonder if our next manager will be the one to bring out the good player that is somewhere within Ejaria.

Presumably previous managers at Liverpool, Rangers and at Reading believed that they could it so it would be a real bonus for the club if the new miracle man can succeed where others have generally for the most part failed.

Forget it, he has had his chance even doubt he would make an impact in the nonleague setups, allegedly another Byron Glasgow?

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 10 May 2023 12:53

karbota
South Coast Royal I wonder if our next manager will be the one to bring out the good player that is somewhere within Ejaria.

Presumably previous managers at Liverpool, Rangers and at Reading believed that they could it so it would be a real bonus for the club if the new miracle man can succeed where others have generally for the most part failed.

Forget it, he has had his chance even doubt he would make an impact in the nonleague setups, allegedly another Byron Glasgow?

There is literally no comparison to Byron Glasgow.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 May 2023 14:48

PATRIQT
karbota

There is literally no comparison to Byron Glasgow.

Pleased to hear that, but we do know he does not have the right attitude, application, and work rate for the Championship and doubt he will prove himself in Div 2.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 May 2023 14:57

Can everyone stop talking to him? Cheers.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 May 2023 17:08

Hound I’d be happy enough if Southwood stayed as first choice next year. He’s obviously had a good season and would be cheap and he has experience now

Prob wouldn’t waste the likely higher wage on Lumley

Totally agree. If he willing to re-sign I think Southwood would do a good job as number 1 and we need to send Boyce-Clark out on loan to get regular football. We also have Andressen (assuming he has recovered from injury) who has had successful loans and so Bouzanis and Andressen could fight it out for the number 2 slot.

644 posts