The squad in July

644 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The squad in July

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jul 2023 12:09

NathStPaul The whole thing is a fitness exercise, performance and result are completely meaningless. Can't believe that needs to be explained but apparently it does.

And I'm sure the coaching staff agree.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jul 2023 14:06

21-year-old defender Jeriel Dorsett has put pen to paper to commit the next year of his career to the club he has called his home since 2014

The centre-back has been a Royal since joining @RFCAcademy as an Under-13 and this new deal takes him to a decade spent at Reading.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/j ... til-2024-/

+ in the same article

We can confirm that 20-year-old left-sided defender Geneiro Maragh has put pen to paper on a contract with Noel Hunt’s Under-21s

Congratulations Geneiro

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Jul 2023 14:14

Makes three young left backs of similar age signed in the past year. Clarke, Carson, and Maragh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 14:23

SCIAG Makes three young left backs of similar age signed in the past year. Clarke, Carson, and Maragh.

Well, odds should mean one of them makes it, I guess.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jul 2023 14:31

One year deal for Dorsett. Can see it now, this will be his breakthrough season and he will be another one that slips through the net on a free transfer next summer.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Jul 2023 14:46

YorkshireRoyal99 One year deal for Dorsett. Can see it now, this will be his breakthrough season and he will be another one that slips through the net on a free transfer next summer.

But now we are back to Cat 1 we would be due significant compensation payment should we offer a new contact and he refuses and goes elsewhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 14:47

If he has a breakthrough season and we regret losing him for nothing, at least we've got a good season’s performance out of him at our point of most struggle.

Because he'll have to go some to displace McIntyre/Holmes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2023 14:57

Snowflake Royal If he has a breakthrough season and we regret losing him for nothing, at least we've got a good season’s performance out of him at our point of most struggle.

Depends if they are both still here

Does give us the option (or just cover) if we end up wanting/having to sell one of them

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jul 2023 14:59

That's assuming that both Holmes or McIntyre stay, which I'm personally not expecting. I'd imagine one, if not both, left this summer. It's a big season for Dorsett and I think Bowen rates him highly seen as it was him who gave him his debut back in 2020.

I think Dorsett is probably ready for this level, I just hope that, if he does excel in the early part of the season, that we can offer him improved terms during the season so that we don't end up losing him for nothing (or little depending on compensation) next summer.

Don't want to consistently be in a situation where we are losing talented academy prospects for nothing, especially as they'd go down as straight-line profit on our balance sheet as well. £8m for Olise but nothing for Loader, Richards and Rinomhota in the Dai era is really poor.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2023 15:10

If this is a new contract then as we are currently under embargo and outside the agreed decision, then I believe we can only offer 1 year deals according to EFL embargo rules.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 15:16

Stranded If this is a new contract then as we are currently under embargo and outside the agreed decision, then I believe we can only offer 1 year deals according to EFL embargo rules.

Be an interesting one as I think we offered it before all that...

Wiuld we be able to honour a previous offer or would we have to adapt it to fit new restrictions?

I'm guessing the latter, which might explain why we had a quick flurry of signitures and then nothing iirc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2023 15:24

Snowflake Royal
Stranded If this is a new contract then as we are currently under embargo and outside the agreed decision, then I believe we can only offer 1 year deals according to EFL embargo rules.

Wiuld we be able to honour a previous offer or would we have to adapt it to fit new restrictions?

I'm guessing the latter, which might explain why we had a quick flurry of signitures and then nothing iirc.

Yeah may not be the case but that is a rule as part of bringing a squad upto the minimum number required - could also just be that either the club or the player decided to give it 12 months and see if he breaks through - may well be an option in there if he does but if he doesn't we probably shake hands and move on.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Jul 2023 16:26

Snowflake Royal

is this embargo different to last year then as we gave sarr a 4 year deal

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2023 16:57

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

That wasn't an embargo, it was a business plan with tight controls. The embargo was the year before when we signed no one on more than 1 year...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2023 17:42

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Snowflake Royal Be an interesting one as I think we offered it before all that...

That wasn't an embargo, it was a business plan with tight controls. The embargo was the year before when we signed no one on more than 1 year...

This we were under an agreed decision, which whilst we embargoed from signing players for fees we had freedom in terms of contract length. We are now under an EFL embargo which only allows us to enter into contracts with free agents for a maximum of one year, only if we don't have enough players of professional standing. We don't currently - we have 20 or 21 and need 23.

Once the embargo is lifted, which it will be once the tax issue is resolved then we can sign player for fees and/or offer free agents multi-year deals.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 12 Jul 2023 16:45

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

This we were under an agreed decision, which whilst we embargoed from signing players for fees we had freedom in terms of contract length. We are now under an EFL embargo which only allows us to enter into contracts with free agents for a maximum of one year, only if we don't have enough players of professional standing. We don't currently - we have 20 or 21 and need 23.

Once the embargo is lifted, which it will be once the tax issue is resolved then we can sign player for fees and/or offer free agents multi-year deals.

Trouble is if we cant pay HMRC where's the money coming from for signings?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Jul 2023 16:55

andrew1957
YorkshireRoyal99 One year deal for Dorsett. Can see it now, this will be his breakthrough season and he will be another one that slips through the net on a free transfer next summer.

But now we are back to Cat 1 we would be due significant compensation payment should we offer a new contact and he refuses and goes elsewhere.

Don’t think EPPP fees are relevant to senior players (18-24). Dorsett’s compensation would be decided by a tribunal, like when we signed Swift.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Jul 2023 18:38

SCIAG
andrew1957

Don’t think EPPP fees are relevant to senior players (18-24). Dorsett’s compensation would be decided by a tribunal, like when we signed Swift.

EPPP fees aren't "significant" either, at least not in comparison to the old system.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Jul 2023 18:34

Snowflake Royal If he has a breakthrough season and we regret losing him for nothing, at least we've got a good season’s performance out of him at our point of most struggle.

Today has confirmed to me that both players are bang average and Dorsett has more potential than them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2023 18:51

Royal_jimmy

Today has confirmed to me that both players are bang average and Dorsett has more potential than them.

Pretty good news a goon like you isn't manager then if you're basing your view on one pre-season friendly.

644 posts