League One - Your Expectations?

161 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: League One - Your Expectations?

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jun 2023 22:10

Snowflake Royal Not a ball kicked in pre-season training and we're already relegated.

:lol:

You're the one who wanted us relegated from the championship so you reap what you sow.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jun 2023 22:12

I'd be surprised if we went into administration or have -18 but yes that would likely see us relegated again

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Jun 2023 22:15

Ah - sorry, got mixed up - you're right, 12 points deduction.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 16 Jun 2023 22:38

PATRIQT 05 May 2023 12:45 I honestly think if we don't get the recruitment and manager right this summer, we'll be in another relegation fight next season. So, zero expectations, hopeful Dai sells up and fcuks of ASAP.

Gulp.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2023 08:44

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Not a ball kicked in pre-season training and we're already relegated.

You're the one who wanted us relegated from the championship so you reap what you sow.

Things would be so different if we stayed up. :roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jun 2023 19:05

PATRIQT
PATRIQT 05 May 2023 12:45 I honestly think if we don't get the recruitment and manager right this summer, we'll be in another relegation fight next season. So, zero expectations, hopeful Dai sells up and fcuks of ASAP.

Gulp.

I’ve said for years if we go down I think we’re far more likely to go down again than go straight up. Worrying times.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2023 19:39

CountryRoyal
PATRIQT

Gulp.

I’ve said for years if we go down I think we’re far more likely to go down again than go straight up. Worrying times.

I think a more serious concern is will we be able to complete our fixtures next season?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Jun 2023 19:45

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Yes they would. We wouldn't be playing lots of clubs like Fleetwood, Cheltenham and Stevenage.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Jun 2023 19:46

blythspartan
CountryRoyal
PATRIQT
Gulp.

I think a more serious concern is will we be able to complete our fixtures next season?

We might not even exist come the start of the season if Dai pulls the plug.

retro royal

by retro royal » 19 Jun 2023 20:23

Royal_jimmy
blythspartan
CountryRoyal

Reckon that's what the £6m is for, the EFL asked Wigan to prove they had funds to complete the season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jun 2023 20:46

Royal_jimmy
blythspartan
CountryRoyal

Unless Dai pays off all the outstanding debts/contractual obligations/taxes, I don't think he has the option of just shutting the business down. It would have to go into administration and a buyer found.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Jun 2023 20:47

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Only to start next season with yet another points deduction and a transfer embargo at the very least. Why would anybody have wanted the managers job. Doomed to failure.

retro royal

by retro royal » 19 Jun 2023 21:30

Think I'll just be happy to have a club still, hopefully he gives in and hands it to the fans, but even that didn't last long at Portsmouth. Economy is going to be shit for next few years. If we can get the fan base back will be a top half league 1 club at minimum going forward. Annoying as it is, we can't do oxf*rd all about it

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jun 2023 21:56

Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy
blythspartan

Unless Dai pays off all the outstanding debts/contractual obligations/taxes, I don't think he has the option of just shutting the business down. It would have to go into administration and a buyer found.

I'm sure anyone can just close a business down if they want to. When the business is liquidated, all sold assets go to pay off the creditors.

With Reading FC though, the assets would be few and far between.

I think we have easily enough players, if you count the academy, to be able to put a team out. It'd just be a crap team, like the Bolton one that picked up regular lumpings a few years ago, when dropping to League Two.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2023 08:01

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Only to start next season with yet another points deduction and a transfer embargo at the very least. Why would anybody have wanted the managers job. Doomed to failure.

And be the first club promoted having had a points deduction?

Personally think the FL are trying it on a bit seeing Wigan failed to pay players last season and were deducted points for that DURING last season, yet when Reading do it they don't try and apply a deduction until the following season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2023 08:11

Sutekh
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Things would be so different if we stayed up. :roll:

Personally think the FL are trying it on a bit seeing Wigan failed to pay players last season and were deducted points for that DURING last season, yet when Reading do it they don't try and apply a deduction until the following season.

Our third was recent wasn't it? Whereas Wigan's was around Jan/ Feb and they've since had two more.

Might be that because our first two were relatively short delays and not followed by a third until recently the FL gave us benefit of the doubt and didn’t punish us. But a recent third in one season so can't be let slode any longer.

As always, any action by the FL isn't about them, but about us doing wrong.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2023 08:25

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Lower West

Our third was recent wasn't it? Whereas Wigan's was around Jan/ Feb and they've since had two more.

Might be that because our first two were relatively short delays and not followed by a third until recently the FL gave us benefit of the doubt and didn’t punish us. But a recent third in one season so can't be let slode any longer.

Correct but if they follow their own precedent (and they have the power not to if they wish of course) we should only see a suspended points penalty and not an automatic deduction - unless it happens again, which it probably will.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Jun 2023 10:38

I would have thought if money transfer issues were beyond our control, there should be some kind of paper trail to prove that, and that shouldn't be regarded as the club's fault.

If it's known, however, that problems might be likely on a certain date, they should factor that into when they try to transfer the money.

Of course, the fact that money has to be transfered in the first place, is part of the problem.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jun 2023 11:51

Sutekh
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Things would be so different if we stayed up. :roll:

I would suggest that their patience with Dai is wearing thin. The guy plays games. Constantly argues , fights and disputes. Ultimately comes to an agreement he has no intention of attempting to meet the objectives of. Hence the recent public naming.

In Chinese culture saving face is extremely important. Being publicly embarrassed or facing criticism loses the respect of others. The silence increasingly looks like one of a coward who hides behind bland corporate PR statements.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2023 13:03

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Correct but if they follow their own precedent (and they have the power not to if they wish of course) we should only see a suspended points penalty and not an automatic deduction - unless it happens again, which it probably will.

Agree a suspended is possible, maybe probable. But consider we have other recent offences, including a suspended points deduction we failed to meet the criteria to prevent and I can see clear reasons to just apply a points deduction with no suspension.

We made our bed, now we have to lie in it.

161 posts