Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Rax

Re: Selles out

by Rax » 29 Oct 2023 18:45

WestYorksRoyal Alan Nixon reporting that Ashley would bring Pards back, which makes sense on many levels. I'm already over his West Ham move. If he kept us up he'd get legendary status given his 1st spell.

Hate to admit it, but I'd agree with this....

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Oct 2023 18:48

WestYorksRoyal Alan Nixon reporting that Ashley would bring Pards back, which makes sense on many levels. I'm already over his West Ham move. If he kept us up he'd get legendary status given his 1st spell.

I'd be happy with this too. We need an experienced manager right now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2023 18:53

How would it make sense?

He hasn't managed in L1 since us.
He failed at West Brom and he hasn't lasted 20 games anywhere since.

He hasn't been a success for about 7 years.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Oct 2023 18:56

Snowflake Royal

How would it make sense?

Knows the club & owner. V. experienced. Obvious reasons really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2023 19:15

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal

How would it make sense?

Sentimental reasons. Might as well get McDermott back.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 29 Oct 2023 19:17

Pardew > selles and that’s all there is to it.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 Oct 2023 19:30

Tbf earlier in the season I did say 4-3-3 might be better for us and certainly would make better use of the players we've got. If we did alright against the league leaders with this formation after being absolutely hopeless in recent weeks then lets see how we get on in the next few games vs weaker teams in the division. But if we haven't progressed by the end of the month then Selles is a mug who needs to get gone.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Oct 2023 19:38

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal How would it make sense?

In all seriousness, what would you propose? You're clearly in the Selles out camp. I've seen a lot of opposition to promoting Hunt again. There are now experienced options like Ainsworth and Pardew available and people don't like those options either. Presumably there would be opposition to Pearson drom some. Are people expecting Guardiola?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 19:46

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Knows the club & owner. V. experienced. Obvious reasons really.

In all seriousness, what would you propose? You're clearly in the Selles out camp. I've seen a lot of opposition to promoting Hunt again. There are now experienced options like Ainsworth and Pardew available and people don't like those options either. Presumably there would be opposition to Pearson drom some. Are people expecting Guardiola?

I think there are better available. Lose track of who are in jobs currently but Cowleys, Warburton, Jones, Eustace, Warnock - not sure if any of those would be interested mind you. Sure there are loads of others if I looked properly. Pearson would be ok, actually thought he did ok with a crap team

Pardew just too long out of the English game. Ainsworth just failed in a similar job - 6 months time when he has had a bit of time out might be more interesting. Hunt doing a good job where he is - let him help out the new man. Not ready for top job

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2023 19:48

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Knows the club & owner. V. experienced. Obvious reasons really.

What I'd like is a manager with recent success and experience in L1.

Not a washed up PL Name.

Not a 1 hit wonder who played terrible football. Although rather Ainsworth than Pardew.

We seem to have just missed the boat on Wilder unfortunately.

If our problems with ownership are coming to an end, we should be getting the right manager, not just anyone we can lay our hands on.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Oct 2023 19:52

There is an unknown question in whether we can afford a new manager even with an ownership change. We're not out of the woods with EFL budget setting and monitoring, and I believe we'll have another 3 windows soft transfer embargo as a result of HMRC.

Ideally, a new owner would be able to come in and make decisions in the long term interest of the club. New manager, new contracts for the likes of Abbey, restructuring to get off field costs down. But all cost money in the short term. It would be very much in character for the EFL to continue punishing us for Dai's mistakes after he has gone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 19:56

Yeah any speculation may be moot anyway

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles in

by Royal Ginger » 29 Oct 2023 22:27

SouthDownsRoyal
Royal Ginger He’d have to buy me dinner first.

Where would you go for dinner with him?

I’d probably avoid Italian as he strikes me as the type that would attempt to order in the lingo but with a regional English accent stressing the ‘O’s

I can see him suiting a sombrero so maybe a tacky Mexican as long as they do a full Sports Direct mug of booze.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 30 Oct 2023 00:01

Hound
WestYorksRoyal There are now experienced options like Ainsworth and Pardew available and people don't like those options either. Presumably there would be opposition to Pearson drom some. Are people expecting Guardiola?

.... Pearson would be ok, actually thought he did ok with a crap team

....the City fan who posts on NLM, seems to think 'Big Nige' is not a well man, (severe back condition or suchlike) so his departure, though not well received by the fans, was not that unexpected. He has been particularly critical of his own club of late. :?

.... so if any truth at all in that, perhaps Pearson may not make himself available anyhow?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2023 06:12

Four Of Clubs
Hound
WestYorksRoyal There are now experienced options like Ainsworth and Pardew available and people don't like those options either. Presumably there would be opposition to Pearson drom some. Are people expecting Guardiola?

.... Pearson would be ok, actually thought he did ok with a crap team

....the City fan who posts on NLM, seems to think 'Big Nige' is not a well man, (severe back condition or suchlike) so his departure, though not well received by the fans, was not that unexpected. He has been particularly critical of his own club of late. :?

.... so if any truth at all in that, perhaps Pearson may not make himself available anyhow?

Yeah he doesn’t look in great nick atm. Hopefully it’s nothing serious

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Oct 2023 07:36

I’m not sure about Pardew as he hasn’t managed at this level for years. I think I’d go for Danny Cowley mainly based on what he did at Lincoln a few years ago.

However, Pardew >>>Selles, so I can kind of see some logic to bringing him in. I really hope this is all sorted out before Christmas.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2023 08:20

Pardew hasn’t managed at this level for a very long time

Still he has at least still been in management - not esp successfully I might add - overseas

He’s a bit younger than I thought. Tbh wouldn’t be massively against it as he was a good manager in his time

Still better options out there though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2023 08:24

Hound Pardew hasn’t managed at this level for a very long time

Still he has at least still been in management - not esp successfully I might add - overseas

He’s a bit younger than I thought. Tbh wouldn’t be massively against it as he was a good manager in his time

I feel his ego started getting in the way towards the end.

Don't see him as one to nurture the kids. More likely to demand millions for transfers... is it possible our embargo gets wiped with the clearance of debts and ownership change?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Oct 2023 09:06

Snowflake Royal

Don't see him as one to nurture the kids. More likely to demand millions for transfers... is it possible our embargo gets wiped with the clearance of debts and ownership change?

I don’t think the embargo would get wiped out, but no idea tbh.

If the takeover happens and we get a new manager do think we’ll sell a couple of our youngsters in January so that we can bring in a few more experienced players to bulk up the squad? Or do you feel that we have enough to survive with the right manager in place?

under the tin

by under the tin » 30 Oct 2023 09:29

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal

I don’t think the embargo would get wiped out, but no idea tbh.

If the takeover happens and we get a new manager do think we’ll sell a couple of our youngsters in January so that we can bring in a few more experienced players to bulk up the squad? Or do you feel that we have enough to survive with the right manager in place?

Right manager is all it's gonna take IMHO.
It's been demonstrated over the decades so many times at so many different clubs with different squads.
People like Allardyce, Warnock & co have built their reputations by solidifying the training, tactics and game plan.
Bring a different mentality.
Make your side difficult to break down, frustrate the oppo. and maybe nick a jammy winner here and there.

859 posts