Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2023 15:44

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
The major caveat is the length it takes for the takeover to complete and what happens in between - as you say, we played pretty well on Saturday and he changed formation - if that continues and say we are still 3 or 4 weeks away then if we go on a winning run, he may be kept on but I do doubt it at this point.

I wanted the guy to be a success but doesn't look probable.

I don’t even want him to turn it around after how he's subjected the young players to abuse multiple times for no reason.

He'll probably revert to type and say the different shape didn’t work against Pompey, or was just for them.

So you wanted us relegated because it would make things better and now you don’t want the manager to succeed, even in the short term, because that’ll lead us back to the sunlit uplands.
Got it.

No, not really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2023 15:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
The major caveat is the length it takes for the takeover to complete and what happens in between - as you say, we played pretty well on Saturday and he changed formation - if that continues and say we are still 3 or 4 weeks away then if we go on a winning run, he may be kept on but I do doubt it at this point.

I wanted the guy to be a success but doesn't look probable.

I don’t even want him to turn it around after how he's subjected the young players to abuse multiple times for no reason.

He'll probably revert to type and say the different shape didn’t work against Pompey, or was just for them.

Eh? So we finally get someone who trusts the youngsters and starts them (probably too much faith imo) and now that's still a problem because they've been subject to abuse? But you criticised Ince last season as he didn't trust them enough? And now you don't want our manager to be a success? Make your mind up.

It's not oxf*rd difficult.

What I'd like is a good manager who makes the most of his resources. Just handing out appearances to young players, often when there isn’t much alternative is not a high enough bar for me.

I want him gone. A week ago. He's shit. He was always likely to be shit. His two redeeming features are playing young players and using his bench. Woo. Not good enough. I want shot and I don't want him to turn anything around because he's a prick and it extends his time here.

Directing the young players to stand infront of the fans and take dog's abuse for his failings is unacceptably poor management.

There is nothing inconsistent about my views on Ince and Selles.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2023 16:27

His selections have been very scattergun. Camara the latest to appear then disappear. Definitely some favourites there (Savage, Azeez) who haven’t necessarily earnt tbe appearances they’ve had (like both of them but they’ve been up and down) whilst the likes of Rushesha seem to never get the chance.

Yeah think the weird standing in front of fans thing was a turning point for me. What exactly was that about. Just go and clap them for a bit and then go inside, simple stuff

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Oct 2023 16:42

Hound His selections have been very scattergun. Camara the latest to appear then disappear. Definitely some favourites there (Savage, Azeez) who haven’t necessarily earnt tbe appearances they’ve had (like both of them but they’ve been up and down) whilst the likes of Rushesha seem to never get the chance.

Yeah think the weird standing in front of fans thing was a turning point for me. What exactly was that about. Just go and clap them for a bit and then go inside, simple stuff

Knibbs too. Coasts through games and offers little. Works hard but it’s time to give the likes of Elliott, Vickers and Mukairu a chance

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Oct 2023 16:43

stealthpapes À la recherche du temps Pardew

Underrated post.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Oct 2023 16:44

it is very good indeed.

'specially for a scientist.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2023 17:00

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I don’t even want him to turn it around after how he's subjected the young players to abuse multiple times for no reason.

Eh? So we finally get someone who trusts the youngsters and starts them (probably too much faith imo) and now that's still a problem because they've been subject to abuse? But you criticised Ince last season as he didn't trust them enough? And now you don't want our manager to be a success? Make your mind up.

What I'd like is a good manager who makes the most of his resources. Just handing out appearances to young players, often when there isn’t much alternative is not a high enough bar for me.

So you want what we don't have basically, like any fan, got it. Just handing out appearances to these young players when we have little alternative is what you berated Ince for not doing, however now it's a problem when that happens.

I completely agree, I don't think they should have been stood in front of the fans for an inordinate amount of time, I can't see how that helped by I understand what the impact of that was meant to be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2023 18:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

So you want what we don't have basically, like any fan, got it. Just handing out appearances to these young players when we have little alternative is what you berated Ince for not doing, however now it's a problem when that happens.

I completely agree, I don't think they should have been stood in front of the fans for an inordinate amount of time, I can't see how that helped by I understand what the impact of that was meant to be.

No you don't. You think you've found an inconsistency by being simplistic, but you haven't.

Wanting Ince to use his available resources, not run a few players into the ground and help develop the youth does not mean if he'd handed out some more minutes I'd have thought he was doing a good job, but it would have been a possible solution to some of his myriad of problems and an improvement. It certainly wasn't my only criticism of him.

Selles giving minutes doesn't mean he's good. Just throwing an entire team of youth players in is not what I have ever suggested.

I don't just want the opposite of what is happening. The entire time I am consistent that I want a reasonably consistent XI, with opportunities for minutes for young players in a side with a blend of youth and experience, in a system that works for what we have available.

I don't think anyone with half a brain can translate me thinking he's a pcunt for exposing the young players repeatedly to hostility after games, that is really about him and Dai, is in anyway inconsistent with saying Ince should use his bench or try some youth and exuberance over tired old failure.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Oct 2023 18:51

rabidbee
stealthpapes À la recherche du temps Pardew

Underrated post.

To be fair, it was an old The Whiff front cover, but its a delight of a line.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2023 19:06

Snowflake Royal Directing the young players to stand infront of the fans and take dog's abuse for his failings is unacceptably poor management.

This is where I drew the line. The fans throwing abuse are pcunts too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2023 19:28

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal Directing the young players to stand infront of the fans and take dog's abuse for his failings is unacceptably poor management.

Well yeah, coked up or pissed morons. Even more reason not to get too involved with them

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Oct 2023 19:44

Hound His selections have been very scattergun. Camara the latest to appear then disappear. Definitely some favourites there (Savage, Azeez) who haven’t necessarily earnt tbe appearances they’ve had (like both of them but they’ve been up and down) whilst the likes of Rushesha seem to never get the chance.

The selections are a sign of a man under pressure and not knowing his best 11

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2023 07:41

Hound
CountryRoyal

Well yeah, coked up or pissed morons. Even more reason not to get too involved with them

Yeah.

Football always has angry pissed up cretins.

It was made pretty clear the anger was primarily directed at Dai, but he's not there, so it splashes on whoever is present.

You acknowledge the fans and otherwise keep the players removd from it as much as possible.

Or if you're a pcunt looking to push some of it around onto others you make them go over and stand and take it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Oct 2023 13:24

If Selles looks back at the Portsmouth game and decides to stick with 4-3-3 and get the players playing the way they did in that game, then I think we will start picking up points and wins, If that's the case then we should stick with him and review things again before Christmas.

New owners will get rid of him if he isn't winning, bring their own person in. Difficult to justify that if he's winning.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Oct 2023 20:41

Royal_jimmy

Do any of us know our best 11?

It’s a bit chicken and egg. Do we keep losing games because the manager doesn’t know his best 11 or does he not know his best 11 because we keep losing games?

We have a large squad of mainly young players and some experience so there are many permutations especially given how diverse our league and cup results have been.

In my opinion for better or worse he needs to settle on an 11 for a handful of games regardless of age and whatever certain optics say . Then you can use that as a base moving forward .

Truth is we’re a side that had no real pre season and have been operating as such ever since.

Don’t care about formation ( because I agree with Selles it’s about your style of play rather than a particular number set up) just be consistent with personnel for a short time.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Oct 2023 20:41

Royal_jimmy

It’s a bit chicken and egg. Do we keep losing games because the manager doesn’t know his best 11 or does he not know his best 11 because we keep losing games?

We have a large squad of mainly young players and some experience so there are many permutations especially given how diverse our league and cup results have been.

In my opinion for better or worse he needs to settle on an 11 for a handful of games regardless of age and whatever certain optics say . Then you can use that as a base moving forward .

Truth is we’re a side that had no real pre season and have been operating as such ever since.

Don’t care about formation ( because I agree with Selles it’s about your style of play rather than a particular number set up) just be consistent with personnel for a short time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2023 23:00

Vision
Royal_jimmy

No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones. But there are a lot of decent quality players that in the right combination should work. Although the longer Selles has them losing and their confidence in tatters and desperation creeping in the fewer and fewer will work.

If they weren't both left footed I'd say the best CB pairing is McIntyre and Abbey, I'm not sure how comfortable either would be on the right side though. But I'd like to see two of Holmes, McIntyre, Mbengue, Abbey and Bindon... except Holmes and McIntyre (both too slow) or Abbey and Bindon (both too raw).
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 31 Oct 2023 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Oct 2023 23:02

You can say that again

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Oct 2023 23:31

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Royal_jimmy

No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones. But there are a lot of decent quality players that in the right combination should work. Although the longer Selles has them losing and their confidence in tatters and desperation creeping in the fewer and fewer will work.

If they weren't both left footed I'd say the best CB pairing is McIntyre and Abbey, I'm not sure how comfortable either would be on the right side though. But I'd like to see two of Holmes, McIntyre, Mbengue, Abbey and Bindon... except Holmes and McIntyre (both too slow) or Abbey and Bindon (both too raw).

As long as i've been on HNA, the general opinion has always seemed to be that the reason we lose games is because the manager knows less about football than the people on here. It's never been that either the players aren't good enough or that other external factors are to blame. It's always - 100% of the time - supposedly the manager's fault. I've got to say that we've been really unlucky that every manager has known less about the sport than HNA posters - i'm mean, what are the chances? That a professional football manager with years experience is less able to understand who are best players are and what formation to use than Snowflake Royal?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Nov 2023 00:20

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Vision

As long as i've been on HNA, the general opinion has always seemed to be that the reason we lose games is because the manager knows less about football than the people on here. It's never been that either the players aren't good enough or that other external factors are to blame. It's always - 100% of the time - supposedly the manager's fault. I've got to say that we've been really unlucky that every manager has known less about the sport than HNA posters - i'm mean, what are the chances? That a professional football manager with years experience is less able to understand who are best players are and what formation to use than Snowflake Royal?

Ian's never wrong mate, it's almost a meme now.

859 posts