Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles out

by morganb » 13 Nov 2023 07:07

Interim manager-to-be, Noel Hunt, is with the Unders in Aldershot tonight so I'd expect Selles to still be in charge for the Cup game tomorrow.

If there is any chance of him going before any takeover then surely this International Break would make most sense due to the gap to our next match?

Delboy

by Delboy » 13 Nov 2023 07:31

We have conceded more goals than any other club in division 1 , 28 Selles has to be replaced

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Nov 2023 07:33

morganb Interim manager-to-be, Noel Hunt, is with the Unders in Aldershot tonight so I'd expect Selles to still be in charge for the Cup game tomorrow.

If there is any chance of him going before any takeover then surely this International Break would make most sense due to the gap to our next match?

The problem is if the takeover takes another 3 months ... having an interim coach for 3 months does not really make sense, does it? Like others I've pretty much accepted relegation, so it's probably worth waiting for new ownership and bring someone in that can start the rebuild for next season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 07:36

If we get the right owners, we will be an attractive proposition to ambitious managers even if L2 is all but certain. Massively punching below our weight, lots of potential. A new manager has the chance to be like Howe at Bournemouth.

From the outside, it looks like we genuinely interested Wilder last summer until he got a closer look at the behind the scenes situation. We were close to appointing a manager of his calibre in L1 and probably would have done without Dai. So expect similar with a new owner. For example, Orient are in a better position than us, but they're close to their ceiling as we are at our floor. Could it be worth a short term step back for Wellens?

It's getting the right owner that matters. Unfortunately that sits in Dai’s hands.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 07:43

Royalwaster
morganb Interim manager-to-be, Noel Hunt, is with the Unders in Aldershot tonight so I'd expect Selles to still be in charge for the Cup game tomorrow.

The problem is if the takeover takes another 3 months ... having an interim coach for 3 months does not really make sense, does it? Like others I've pretty much accepted relegation, so it's probably worth waiting for new ownership and bring someone in that can start the rebuild for next season.

It makes perfect sense

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Nov 2023 08:05

Saturday was only the second league game I have missed all season and to be honest my weekend was much better because of it. I mostly disengaged myself from the game, but I did listen to BBCRB at the end. Selles, literally doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s all just meaningless words and he doesn’t have a clue about what he’s doing.

I thought that the great reset was going to happen in League One, but oxf*rd me I was wrong. League Two /National League here we come. However, if we can play some reasonably entertaining football and start winning football matches again I don’t care where the reset happens.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2023 08:24

Delboy We have conceded more goals than any other club in division 1 , 28 Selles has to be replaced

Most goals conceded this season
Third most goals conceded last season
Most goals conceded the season before last

But no, Liam Moore was the problem

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Nov 2023 08:27

Life is easier if you just accept Selles is going nowhere until a takeover is complete (at best he may be moved if/when exclusivity is given) and that baring a miracle, well us becoming a side that can average 1.5 PPG or better for the rest of the season, we are done this year.

We just have to hope that L2 is the bottom - we might even get a derby against Aldershot out of it.

He should go of course.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 08:30

Just got to hope the takeover happens sooner rather than later for there to be any change at the club.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 08:38

YorkshireRoyal99 Just got to hope the takeover happens sooner rather than later for there to be any change at the club.

Keep saying, L2 is only the bottom if we get good owners. If the takeover falls through, we're not done yet. The next owner surely can't be as bad as Dai, but they probably determine whether this is a short chapter we all look back on with an "I stuck around" honour in a few years or whether we need to get used to L2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 09:04

blythspartan Saturday was only the second league game I have missed all season and to be honest my weekend was much better because of it. I mostly disengaged myself from the game, but I did listen to BBCRB at the end. Selles, literally doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s all just meaningless words and he doesn’t have a clue about what he’s doing.

I thought that the great reset was going to happen in League One, but oxf*rd me I was wrong. League Two /National League here we come. However, if we can play some reasonably entertaining football and start winning football matches again I don’t care where the reset happens.

I think the thing that's most frustrating is that it was all set and ready to go.

If Dai pays the players and HMRC at the end of last season, we get Wilder in charge, a couple of better signings. Different coaching staff so maybe Smith doesn't get injured. Better manager so maybe doesn't fallout with Carroll and co.

Those first 5/6 games were mostly small margins. Could easily have been on 9/10 points. Everything looks different.

The club is in a far healthier state, attracts more interest and goes at a higher price.

Instead, no one of any note wants to manage us, we lose out on several signings. Fine margins cost us points. A shit manager, protests and worry over being paid destroys morale and we look doomed for L2, with Dai getting a far worse deal, if anything.

Once again, it was all there to get it right, and Dai has once again completely oxf*rd it.

I remain confident that if we get rid of him this season we're o the road to recovery and much happier times. Although 10th in L2 is a whole lot less satisfactory than 10th in L1.

The problem is we could just about sustain the club infrastructure in L1 for a few years. I don't think we can do that for more than 1 or 2 max in L2.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 09:17

If we trim back the academy and infrastructure, what does that really mean in practice? Finding another team to share our training ground? Cutting back several academy support staff so it is Cat 3 or so? Perhaps we would close one of the stands at the SCL to concentrate ticket sales and reduce matchday costs.

The point is all these cuts could be reversed if the club's fortunes improve. In particular, rebuilding to Cat 1 academy is not as hard as investing in it from scratch. So long as those who stay around continue to maintain the right culture and behaviours (and the academy has somehow withstood the shitness of the Dai era), then expanding its footprint is a manageable operation in the Championship.

Don't get me wrong. I want a takeover this week, a heroic survival effort from a new manager and promotion next season. Back in the Championship quickly, no need to make dramatic cuts. But let's be realistic; however far we fall, there is a route to recovery. And it seems like every season we're asking our players to fight for the existential future of our club; how about simply tasking them with winning a few games and bringing a feelgood factor back?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 09:19

Has he gone yet?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Nov 2023 10:03

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Saturday was only the second league game I have missed all season and to be honest my weekend was much better because of it. I mostly disengaged myself from the game, but I did listen to BBCRB at the end. Selles, literally doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s all just meaningless words and he doesn’t have a clue about what he’s doing.

I think the thing that's most frustrating is that it was all set and ready to go.

If Dai pays the players and HMRC at the end of last season, we get Wilder in charge, a couple of better signings. Different coaching staff so maybe Smith doesn't get injured. Better manager so maybe doesn't fallout with Carroll and co.

Those first 5/6 games were mostly small margins. Could easily have been on 9/10 points. Everything looks different.

The club is in a far healthier state, attracts more interest and goes at a higher price.

Instead, no one of any note wants to manage us, we lose out on several signings. Fine margins cost us points. A shit manager, protests and worry over being paid destroys morale and we look doomed for L2, with Dai getting a far worse deal, if anything.

Once again, it was all there to get it right, and Dai has once again completely oxf*rd it.

I remain confident that if we get rid of him this season we're o the road to recovery and much happier times. Although 10th in L2 is a whole lot less satisfactory than 10th in L1.

The problem is we could just about sustain the club infrastructure in L1 for a few years. I don't think we can do that for more than 1 or 2 max in L2.

Yeah you’re right we had a chance to do a reset, but Dai oxf*rd up again.

I know this probably isn’t possible, but could we put Selles on garden leave and bring in Warnock until the end of the season and pay him a lump sum of money based on whether we stay up or not. I know he’d have to agree to those terms, but would we be allowed to do that?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 13 Nov 2023 10:40

Well, we've had one old leader return today.

Could a taxi turn up to the SCL and Brian McDermott step out?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Nov 2023 10:45

Snowflake Royal

I know we don't always see eye to eye but you are spot on re this. I had some sympathy for Dai up until this season as he had built Bearwood and funded the club with ridiculous amounts of (admittedly largely wasted) money but failing to fund the club adequately this season must go down as one of the biggest ever own goals by an owner in football history. If he had just funded the much reduced wage bill on time and paid HMRC when due, the club would have been in a relatively strong position. But one can only think that the worries about whether they are going to be paid and whether more and more point deductions' are on the way, must have weighed heavily on what is a largely young squad. And as for Dai, he will now get far less money for the club that he would have if he had paid up and stabilised the club in L1 mid table.

I am not excusing Selles as his constant rotation of players and weird substitutions are almost in explicable, but I do feel for the young players in this situation. There is no way that this young and talented squad should be relegated.

If the club are to have even a vague hope of survival in L1 then we cannot wait for new owners and Selles needs to go now and for me it would be Hunt as caretaker. At least he might be able to inspire the young players to do a bit better than they are now.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 10:48

andrew1957
Snowflake Royal

I know we don't always see eye to eye but you are spot on re this. I had some sympathy for Dai up until this season as he had built Bearwood and funded the club with ridiculous amounts of (admittedly largely wasted) money but failing to fund the club adequately this season must go down as one of the biggest ever own goals by an owner in football history. If he had just funded the much reduced wage bill on time and paid HMRC when due, the club would have been in a relatively strong position. But one can only think that the worries about whether they are going to be paid and whether more and more point deductions' are on the way, must have weighed heavily on what is a largely young squad. And as for Dai, he will now get far less money for the club that he would have if he had paid up and stabilised the club in L1 mid table.

I am not excusing Selles as his constant rotation of players and weird substitutions are almost in explicable, but I do feel for the young players in this situation. There is no way that this young and talented squad should be relegated.

If the club are to have even a vague hope of survival in L1 then we cannot wait for new owners and Selles needs to go now and for me it would be Hunt as caretaker. At least he might be able to inspire the young players to do a bit better than they are now.

How the fcuk did Dai become a billionaire? All his decisions are woeful. Failing to fund the club properly this season could ultimately cost him up to £20m or so.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Nov 2023 10:53

WestYorksRoyal
andrew1957
Snowflake Royal I think the thing that's most frustrating is that it was all set and ready to go.

How the fcuk did Dai become a billionaire? All his decisions are woeful. Failing to fund the club properly this season could ultimately cost him up to £20m or so.

You know the old story. "Mr Dai how did you become a millionaire?" Answer. "I was a billionaire and then I bought Reading FC and every decision I made was crap".

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Nov 2023 10:53

WestYorksRoyal
andrew1957
Snowflake Royal I think the thing that's most frustrating is that it was all set and ready to go.

Buying up air raid shelters and turning then into shopping malls. Conveniently he didn't have to pay tax on the shelters. No wonder he doesn't pay his HMRC bill.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:01

Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal
andrew1957

Buying up air raid shelters and turning then into shopping malls. Conveniently he didn't have to pay tax on the shelters. No wonder he doesn't pay his HMRC bill.

But how did he actually achieve it? I'm not an expert on the retail industry, but presumably it must have involved some sensible decisions and trusting suitable advisors? So why are his decisions in football more akin to a 7 year old with too much pocket money?

859 posts