Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2023 12:42

YorkshireRoyal99 Seeing a lot about Azeez being removed from the team, which I agree with, but then I think who do we replace him with, do we have a true, direct replacement for him? I know others can play there like Mukairu for instance but he seems more suited to the other side where Knibbs is and I don't know about Camara, I think he is also better on the left as well.

I think the midfield needs someone else with a bit of experience, I know Wing is in his prime and Hutchinson is experienced, but the latter isn't a midfielder for me and it just seems like we are shoe-horning an experienced player into that position. We could use someone else like Wing, but maybe just in a different role to his, like a ball winner. It might then allow us to introduce the likes of Savage, Rushesha and Craig into the team alongside a couple of seasoned-pros.

It just seems really difficult to pick our best team at the moment, as it leaves quite a big hole somewhere in the team, be it balance, experience, quality, all of the above etc.

I think Vickers could do well on the right.

I wonder if switching Azeez to the left might do him any good?

I'm not hugely impressed.with Knibbs either... I know he's got a few cup goals, but he disappears in games far more than Azeez does.

I'd like to see Craig regularly coming on for Hutch and eventually taking over. Don’t mind a midfield 3 with him or Savage coming in.

I think we should seriously consider the 4-5-1/4-3-3 until we can stop conceding so many. I know it's defensive, but we've taken the lead in our last three league games and got 1 point. We've conceded 13 goals in 5 games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2023 13:05

Do other teams consistently do this inverted winger thing? Could understand it with Meite when he was good as he played the role to perfection. But he was crap at it last year, Azeez isn’t great at it now either

Azeez has a decent cross on him, why take that out of his game?

Put Azeez left and play as a proper wide mid and Knibbs right. Or else Vickers, Camara or Mukairo right. Azeez, Carson, NGW could all do left mid/wing

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Nov 2023 13:12

I’d be tempted to play a 5-4-1. I am rubbish with formations and I have probably shown it wrong below.

NGW-Abbey-Holmes-Bindon\Dean-Yiadom

Azeez-Craig/Hutchinson-Savage Vickers/Elliott

Smith/Ehib

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Nov 2023 13:38

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Seeing a lot about Azeez being removed from the team, which I agree with, but then I think who do we replace him with, do we have a true, direct replacement for him? I know others can play there like Mukairu for instance but he seems more suited to the other side where Knibbs is and I don't know about Camara, I think he is also better on the left as well.

I think the midfield needs someone else with a bit of experience, I know Wing is in his prime and Hutchinson is experienced, but the latter isn't a midfielder for me and it just seems like we are shoe-horning an experienced player into that position. We could use someone else like Wing, but maybe just in a different role to his, like a ball winner. It might then allow us to introduce the likes of Savage, Rushesha and Craig into the team alongside a couple of seasoned-pros.

It just seems really difficult to pick our best team at the moment, as it leaves quite a big hole somewhere in the team, be it balance, experience, quality, all of the above etc.

I think Vickers could do well on the right.

I wonder if switching Azeez to the left might do him any good?

I'm not hugely impressed.with Knibbs either... I know he's got a few cup goals, but he disappears in games far more than Azeez does.

I'd like to see Craig regularly coming on for Hutch and eventually taking over. Don’t mind a midfield 3 with him or Savage coming in.

I think we should seriously consider the 4-5-1/4-3-3 until we can stop conceding so many. I know it's defensive, but we've taken the lead in our last three league games and got 1 point. We've conceded 13 goals in 5 games.

Only issue with Vickers is that he influences games from the middle and would rather develop him there. Played on the right, he'd effectively be wanting to play inverted anyway as that's where I think his strength his.

I'm not that impressed by Knibbs and I did suggest the idea of Azeez on the left as he is quick, so can get round a full back and can potentially put some decent crosses in from that side, at least he stretches the game that way anyway. Then can have the full back underlapping if Azeez hugs the touchline or overlapping if he doesn't, just need to build that understanding but it's fairly simple.

For a bit of defensive stability I thought a 3-4-3 would work. We've got plenty of solid CB's to choose from really and allows us to accommodate many. Mbengue - Holmes - Abbey for example could work. We can then have a choice of Wing, Savage, Craig, Hutchinson, Rushesha in the middle with Yiadom and NGW as the starting wing backs. That might allow us to play Vickers as a 10 with another player perhaps, something like this:

Button
Mbengue Holmes Abbey
Yiadom Wing Savage NGW
Vickers Elliot
Smith

Could take one of the 10's out and go with 2 up top with Smith and then Ballard or Kelvin E, it just leaves us very reliant on the wing backs for width, but less issues with an extra defender to cover.

EDIT: Seen a post further down and forgot about Elliot, would be a lot better to put him in the team, potentially as a 10 alongside Vickers.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 15 Nov 2023 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2023 13:40

blythspartan I’d be tempted to play a 5-4-1. I am rubbish with formations and I have probably shown it wrong below.

Smith/Ehib

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey NGW
Hutchinson Craig
Elliott
Vickers Smith WiFi

Subs: CBC, Savage, Azeez, Mukairu, Carson, Dean, Holmes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2023 13:57

Noticed Carson created a number of chances again last night

Reckon he may be worth a go ahead of NGW on left mid as well. If Kelv and Smith are up to you have proper targets to aim for.

Do like Carson a lot, just not quite ready to be a starting FB. Get him on set pieces and ask him the help defensively

Reckon we could do something like

Button
Yiadom Holmes Abbey NGW
Knibbs Craig Wing Carson
Kelv Smith

And be pretty good and more solid. Smith is excellent in the air, and alongside Kelv would be expecting them to win their fair share in the box

Can use the likes of Vickers, Savage, Eliott, Ballard if we need a bit more subtlety

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2023 15:24

Hound Do other teams consistently do this inverted winger thing? Could understand it with Meite when he was good as he played the role to perfection. But he was crap at it last year, Azeez isn’t great at it now either

Azeez has a decent cross on him, why take that out of his game?

Put Azeez left and play as a proper wide mid and Knibbs right. Or else Vickers, Camara or Mukairo right. Azeez, Carson, NGW could all do left mid/wing

It’s quite a recurring theme, indeed, certainly in the top two divisions. Supposed to give more licence and space for the respective fullback

Requires effective decision making from the “inverted winger” as to when to stay out wide and when to come inside and requires attacking prowess from the fullbacks. Sadly, we lack both of those

It’s something we’ve tried for a while and never really grasped it. Blackett and Ejaria complemented each other well for a short period I suppose

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Nov 2023 15:30

Was it Coppell who said he preferred to go with youth in attack and experience in defence?

In theory we should have that mix. No time like the present to get these youngsters out on the pitch and playing proper football. Just need a quality mature captain to rally them when we inevitably stumble.

That and sort the off field antics. I don't think we can underestimate how badly that is affecting our players.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 15 Nov 2023 15:51

blythspartan I’d be tempted to play a 5-4-1. I am rubbish with formations and I have probably shown it wrong below.

Smith/Ehib

I've been thinking this for a while, too. 3 at the back with two wing backs to provide width going forward. If the defensive midfield had 1 or 2 players in there, we should have ample cover for NGW/Yiadom to go forward freely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2023 17:08

skipper Was it Coppell who said he preferred to go with youth in attack and experience in defence?

In theory we should have that mix. No time like the present to get these youngsters out on the pitch and playing proper football. Just need a quality mature captain to rally them when we inevitably stumble.

That and sort the off field antics. I don't think we can underestimate how badly that is affecting our players.

Mistakes upfront are certainly more forgiving than mistakes at the back.

Coppell, as always, a smart cookie.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 16 Nov 2023 02:15

Stranded
leon
leon
NO! L2 bring it ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And anyone who disagrees is a BED WETTER!!!!!!!

Screw you - I won't be happy until we get to reset as a National League side. I want to see us have a good go at winning the FA Trophy - see all the glory hunters snap up tickets for the final against Wealdstone.

i think i remember Reading playing Wealdstone in the cup at Elm Park in the early 80s!!! great times :D :D :D :D

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Nov 2023 02:31

Crowbar6753
Stranded
leon

Screw you - I won't be happy until we get to reset as a National League side. I want to see us have a good go at winning the FA Trophy - see all the glory hunters snap up tickets for the final against Wealdstone.

i think i remember Reading playing Wealdstone in the cup at Elm Park in the early 80s!!! great times :D :D :D :D

Never gets old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQDlKN7HYLk

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2023 09:47

Crowbar6753
Stranded
leon

Wasn't that the violent one starring the one and only Vinny Jones?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Nov 2023 09:54

leon
leon
Snowflake Royal You've convinced me. We should definitely carry on exactly as we are, cancel the sale. Keep Selles til the end of the season, then appoint another flash non-entity coach.

It's definitely the way to return to the big time, and not at all the way to see the club just liquidated.

NO! L2 bring it ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep taking the tablets Leon

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2023 10:03

Sutekh
Crowbar6753
Stranded

Wasn't that the violent one starring the one and only Vinny Jones?

The "handbags" from that game link below. Football before it went all wussy and girlie, much better then, cold Saturday afternoon in the cup at home, something memorable and watchable rather than the load of depressing and predictable headless chickens with no gameplan doing the same old yet again that we have had under the last 6 managers or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KtTtrxi5w

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Dec 2023 15:35

He's still here then!

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Dec 2023 15:44

I don’t like him

Rax

by Rax » 03 Dec 2023 15:59

Worse than Terry the Taxi, but has an insane belief he's doing the right thing - needs to go and quickly!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2023 16:01

I'm sure he's a very nice person.

It's a shame he's a dreadful manager.

Rax

by Rax » 03 Dec 2023 16:04

Snowflake Royal I'm sure he's a very nice person.

It's a shame he's a dreadful manager.

Jose Gomes was as well - and unlike Selles immensley proud to be here - some really good signings too (oliveira for example)

This clown has given us Mola!

859 posts