Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 16:33

Rax
Snowflake Royal I'm sure he's a very nice person.

It's a shame he's a dreadful manager.

Jose Gomes was as well - and unlike Selles immensley proud to be here - some really good signings too (oliveira for example)

This clown has given us Mola!
Smith, Knibbs, Button etc etc too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Dec 2023 16:36

Surely we can't be blaming Selles for the players we've brought in when we have a recruitment team involved in that who have been working with their hands tied behind their backs for a couple of seasons?

Point the fingers at the on-field results, because they've been well below expected this season. Today's performance was dire, but usually our performances aren't *that* bad, but the results have been over the course of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 16:41

YorkshireRoyal99 Surely we can't be blaming Selles for the players we've brought in when we have a recruitment team involved in that who have been working with their hands tied behind their backs for a couple of seasons?

Point the fingers at the on-field results, because they've been well below expected this season. Today's performance was dire, but usually our performances aren't *that* bad, but the results have been over the course of the season.
”dire” ?? saw it a little bit differently to ‘most’….in parts we were dominant, the good substitutions helped.

Cba getting upset about it.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Dec 2023 16:44

I know we held out last week, but generally I expect us to lose a game if we're going into the final 10 with a lead of fewer than 3 goals such is the fragility under this manager.

Rax

by Rax » 03 Dec 2023 16:49

AthleticoSpizz
YorkshireRoyal99 Surely we can't be blaming Selles for the players we've brought in when we have a recruitment team involved in that who have been working with their hands tied behind their backs for a couple of seasons?

”dire” ?? saw it a little bit differently to ‘most’….in parts we were dominant, the good substitutions helped.

Dire is polite - there are at least two of that team today I'd be quite happy never seeing in a Reading shirt again (yes, Mola, Elliott - I'm looking at you..)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2023 17:00

Rax
AthleticoSpizz

Dire is polite - there are at least two of that team today I'd be quite happy never seeing in a Reading shirt again (yes, Mola, Elliott - I'm looking at you..)

It was a spineless performance lacking in any focus, aggression or character. We couldn’t/wouldn’t do the basics - passing with any degree of accuracy, defending, closing down the play. It all falls at the managers door.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Dec 2023 17:29

leon
Rax
AthleticoSpizz ”dire” ?? saw it a little bit differently to ‘most’….in parts we were dominant, the good substitutions helped.

It was a spineless performance lacking in any focus, aggression or character. We couldn’t/wouldn’t do the basics - passing with any degree of accuracy, defending, closing down the play. It all falls at the managers door.

Mola is not a footballer, Carson is a well dodgy left back, Azeez is mostly puff and effort and little end product. Dean is past it and should be put out to grass or something, Elliott flatters to deceive and the team overall has zero left side threat.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 17:37

Sutekh
leon
Rax

Mola is not a footballer, Carson is a well dodgy left back, Azeez is mostly puff and effort and little end product. Dean is past it and should be put out to grass or something, Elliott flatters to deceive and the team overall has zero left side threat.
yeah, but apart from that?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Dec 2023 19:39

Rax
AthleticoSpizz

I feel a bit for Elliot because he's clearly not going to impact a game out wide. A midfield of him, Craig and Wing I think would be decent I think but Knibbs has done pretty well as a 10 up until today.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 03 Dec 2023 19:54

What on earth was that all about today? Quite simply, Selles has got to jump on the next train to wherever. And I know that my mate, Micky L, will ensure that it's running. Seriously, eight changes from the the Carlisle game? FFS

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 20:21

Thought he got it spot-on for a tournament that we will not make any significant impact in.

We lost, boo-hoo, afew run-outs for our nervous squad against cloggers and ex pro’s, the substitutions were spot-on.

Some of our players looked like they were actually enjoying playing for a change.

Just my opinion obvs, being there and all that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2023 20:26

AthleticoSpizz Thought he got it spot-on for a tournament that we will not make any significant impact in.

We lost, boo-hoo, afew run-outs for our nervous squad against cloggers and ex pro’s, the substitutions were spot-on.

Some of our players looked like they were actually enjoying playing for a change.

A competition we could have realistically earned an additional £million or so from though. And it's not like we were bossed. Better management and selection would likely have seen a win.

We lose on fine margins. The sort of fine margins good selection and coaching eradicates.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 20:32

Well quite

Ian for manager etc etc

I don”t think even “Ian” would want to come here right now tho’

Nor anybody better than the incumbant sh1t show that we have right now, give the guy credit where due…when it happens (November was ok)

Looks like the ITV coverage were on our side

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Dec 2023 20:35

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz Thought he got it spot-on for a tournament that we will not make any significant impact in.

A competition we could have realistically earned an additional £million or so from though. And it's not like we were bossed. Better management and selection would likely have seen a win.

We lose on fine margins. The sort of fine margins good selection and coaching eradicates.

Yeah agreed - next round could have been Man City away at the time he picked the team

No need. He must have known what they were about - the likes of Savage and Eliott and even Kelvin likely to getting eaten up by lumps like that

You can’t give any credit for bringing on Smith and Wing. Even my dog knows that would improve the side. Rushesha in Mbengue takes away even more physicality in our defence

They’ve not played loads of games recently due to internationals so just play the Carlisle team - maybe swap in a few (GK, Holmes/Dean, Mbengue, maybe Kelv) try to get some bloody consistency

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 20:38

The “next round” lol…it could’ve been Walsall, Port Vale or anyone….as it would’ve been, Barnet or Newport….

Nice

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Dec 2023 20:39

It's a (very) small sample admittedly, but we made minimal changes (just 1 in the first XI I believe which was enforced) between Wycombe and Carlisle and picked up back-to-back wins.

For me, Selles' biggest problem has been changing the team too much. I can understand forward areas to an extent, but we shouldn't really be changing our back 4 that much and yet we still seem to be experimenting in that area as well.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2023 20:48

YorkshireRoyal99 It's a (very) small sample admittedly, but we made minimal changes (just 1 in the first XI I believe which was enforced) between Wycombe and Carlisle and picked up back-to-back wins.

For me, Selles' biggest problem has been changing the team too much. I can understand forward areas to an extent, but we shouldn't really be changing our back 4 that much and yet we still seem to be experimenting in that area as well.
Holmes did well, the ‘useless’ Mola got forward and

It didn’t pay-off, but it was a bit of a free-hit today, and something worth looking at. Even Steve Coppell gave his first teamers a bit of a rest in cup games.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 03 Dec 2023 21:52

AthleticoSpizz The “next round” lol…it could’ve been Walsall, Port Vale or anyone….as it would’ve been, Barnet or Newport….

Nice

Would have loved Newport tbf.

Main reason I’m so po we didn’t progress.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 22:07

AthleticoSpizz
YorkshireRoyal99 It's a (very) small sample admittedly, but we made minimal changes (just 1 in the first XI I believe which was enforced) between Wycombe and Carlisle and picked up back-to-back wins.

Holmes did well, the ‘useless’ Mola got forward and

It didn’t pay-off, but it was a bit of a free-hit today, and something worth looking at. Even Steve Coppell gave his first teamers a bit of a rest in cup games.

Holmes did well costing us the game with his heroic defending for their winner

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 22:08

St Pauli
AthleticoSpizz The “next round” lol…it could’ve been Walsall, Port Vale or anyone….as it would’ve been, Barnet or Newport….

Nice

Would have loved Newport tbf.

Main reason I’m so po we didn’t progress.

Never mind we'll be going there in the league next season

859 posts