Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 17:11

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal I'm still Selles Out, but yesterday's showing made me question how good this squad really is and whether another manager could do loads better. I think survival would be the ambition for anyone.

We have 3 players who would genuinely feature in most L1 teams: Smith, Wing and Abbey.

We then Knibbs, Azeez and Mukairu who are decent but inconsistent. Yiadom and Button are experienced but hardly spectacular. Some young players like Bindon, Craig and Dorsett are making a good effort at stepping up.

They you have underperforming experienced players like Dean and Hutchinson who look like they're already mentally retired, damaged goods like Holmes and NGW and talented youngsters who are not ready like Savage, Carson and Elliott.

We seem to have built a bloated squad of players who are not quite good enough.

Unsurprising given that that target seems to have been Reading's transfer policy for the last 6 years.

Part of the problem is we have to build half a new squad every season because of the financial issues Dai put us in, with a lot of loanees who go success or failure.

There's never any solid foundation to build from where you're just putting the last couple of pieces in place. And it's whoever.you can lay your hands on, so it's always about the individual,not how they fit in the team, because when you sign them you probably only know 3 or 4 of your first XI.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 17:29

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal I'm still Selles Out, but yesterday's showing made me question how good this squad really is and whether another manager could do loads better. I think survival would be the ambition for anyone.

We have 3 players who would genuinely feature in most L1 teams: Smith, Wing and Abbey.

We then Knibbs, Azeez and Mukairu who are decent but inconsistent. Yiadom and Button are experienced but hardly spectacular. Some young players like Bindon, Craig and Dorsett are making a good effort at stepping up.

They you have underperforming experienced players like Dean and Hutchinson who look like they're already mentally retired, damaged goods like Holmes and NGW and talented youngsters who are not ready like Savage, Carson and Elliott.

We seem to have built a bloated squad of players who are not quite good enough.

Unsurprising given that that target seems to have been Reading's transfer policy for the last 6 years.

Part of the problem is we have to build half a new squad every season because of the financial issues Dai put us in, with a lot of loanees who go success or failure.

There's never any solid foundation to build from where you're just putting the last couple of pieces in place. And it's whoever.you can lay your hands on, so it's always about the individual,not how they fit in the team, because when you sign them you probably only know 3 or 4 of your first XI.

I think the foundations are actually there with this squad; a year or two's development and perhaps helping Holmes find his form. But as long as Dai stays we'll have the same every year. Still think it should be resolved this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 17:31

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

I think the foundations are actually there with this squad; a year or two's development and perhaps helping Holmes find his form. But as long as Dai stays we'll have the same every year. Still think it should be resolved this season.

They certainly could be. But loads of them are ooc at the end of the season

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Dec 2023 16:10

As much as we believe he is incompetent, let's take a moment to appreciate the fella has not been paid fully. I feel for him.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Dec 2023 17:18

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Part of the problem is we have to build half a new squad every season because of the financial issues Dai put us in, with a lot of loanees who go success or failure.

If Dai's still here next season then we'll have an even worse squad, and go down again. He's given up.

In all honesty though, I think if we aren't sold before next season, then the club will be gone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2023 17:27

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think the foundations are actually there with this squad; a year or two's development and perhaps helping Holmes find his form. But as long as Dai stays we'll have the same every year. Still think it should be resolved this season.

If Dai's still here next season then we'll have an even worse squad, and go down again. He's given up.

In all honesty though, I think if we aren't sold before next season, then the club will be gone.

If Dai hasn’t sold by July I don't think we even start next season. I think we're dead.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Dec 2023 17:41

Snowflake Royal
tmesis
Snowflake Royal They certainly could be. But loads of them are ooc at the end of the season

If Dai hasn’t sold by July I don't think we even start next season. I think we're dead.

Could Graham Odell, Mark Bowen and other senior staff release a statement saying Dai is AWOL and that they're taking drastic measures to keep the club afloat? Would mean selling pretty much all our saleable assets, mass redundancies. All pretty horrible stuff. But if it kept the club alive it may be worthwhile. But then to what avail if Dai stays?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2023 17:42

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
tmesis If Dai's still here next season then we'll have an even worse squad, and go down again. He's given up.

Could Graham Odell, Mark Bowen and other senior staff release a statement saying Dai is AWOL and that they're taking drastic measures to keep the club afloat? Would mean selling pretty much all our saleable assets, mass redundancies. All pretty horrible stuff. But if it kept the club alive it may be worthwhile. But then to what avail if Dai stays?

I don’t think so. He isn't awol. He's just a pcunt.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Dec 2023 17:02

RIP the Selles revival: Nov 23 - Dec 23.

Nothing left to say now. We're stuck with him until the takeover but he'll be out the door 5 mins after it's approved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2023 17:05

No surprise that this team under Selles can't win 3 in a row or beat a decent side.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Dec 2023 17:18

How the hell is this prick still with us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2023 17:19

Because we have an absentee owner who doesn't care.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Dec 2023 17:21

All comes back to ownership. Needs to be sorted. Dai out, Selles out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2023 17:33

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2023 17:34

He just isn’t a good manager. Simple as

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Dec 2023 18:34

Hound He just isn’t a good manager. Simple as

The squad isn't good enough either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2023 18:50

Lower West

I think it is.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2023 18:58

Snowflake Royal
Lower West

I think it is.

Good enough for what? To avoid relegation - certainly

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Dec 2023 19:09

Selles is incompetent and this team has a loser mentality at its core. He should have gone 2 months ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2023 20:08

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

I think it is.

Good enough for what? To avoid relegation - certainly

Yeah, for this season. And then we will have a very solid core to build on if we can actually get any stability and retain people.

859 posts