Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2023 23:42

AthleticoSpizz The “next round” lol…it could’ve been Walsall, Port Vale or anyone….as it would’ve been, Barnet or Newport….

Nice

Yeah, so that's £67k, plus gate receipts, plus good chance of £100k prize money and then more gate receipts.

The team was just starting to rebuild some confidence after a dreadful period. Well guess what, a poor performance against non-league opposition and a last minute defeat, on TV, after the high of a late equaliser just undid all that.

Woo, USelles got two of the most obvious subs ever right. Of course, his other three were shit. As was half his original team selection.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Dec 2023 00:01

St Pauli
AthleticoSpizz The “next round” lol…it could’ve been Walsall, Port Vale or anyone….as it would’ve been, Barnet or Newport….

Nice

Would have loved Newport tbf.

Main reason I’m so po we didn’t progress.

Obvious +1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2023 09:10

Think Eastleigh was the final straw for me with Selles. Haven’t been able to go or watch recent games and was interested to see if talk of the new formation etc was making us any better

We just look exactly the same. No real plan, the high pressing looks good when it comes off a couple of times a match, otherwise leaves us out of shape. Knibbs is the best at it, but some of the others can’t do it very well at all

Don’t have obvious ideas of how to create with possession. Some vague tactics towards getting it to the FBs for crossing, but then Yiadom and Dorsett (first choice FBs) aren’t good at crossing

Midfield is still a big hole half the time, though Craig helps that a bit

Wing and Smith are excellent. Azeez is a very decent player at this level who is just starting to get that final ball right. Individual moments from these three along with Knibbs just being busy seem our only route to goal. Look crap form set pieces and the left.

Defence shaky and still exposed. Still beaten physically too often. Holmes, Dean and Mola did nothing to suggest they should be in front of Abbey and Binden. Holmes passing was poor - often backwards and horrible floaty balls towards a pressing forward. Dean actually brought it out of defence quite well

And team selection was poor. Eastleigh manager clearly delighted with it. He knew full well who are dangermen were and they were on the bench

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 09:19

Not sure if this is the thread to post it, but reports that Wilder is returning to Sheffield United. Who knows how close we were, but clearly a sinking ship in the PL is better than a sinking ship in L1.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2023 10:00

WestYorksRoyal Not sure if this is the thread to post it, but reports that Wilder is returning to Sheffield United. Who knows how close we were, but clearly a sinking ship in the PL is better than a sinking ship in L1.

Probably would been able to get Wilder if it hadn't been for the useless gimp of an owner. Surprised he's not already got a club but not surprised if he returns to SheffU.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Dec 2023 10:17

Last 2 league wins has put me more on the fence, yes the Eastleigh result was frustrating and embarrassing when we really had a favourable path to round 4, especially with the financial rewards that would have brought in our situation. I feel like I'm more willing to give Selles the benefit of the doubt because he does seem like a nice guy who is trying to implement an entertaining and effective style of play (when it works).

So hopefully we can continue to have a bit of a league run.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Dec 2023 10:23

Hound Think Eastleigh was the final straw for me with Selles. Haven’t been able to go or watch recent games and was interested to see if talk of the new formation etc was making us any better

We just look exactly the same. No real plan, the high pressing looks good when it comes off a couple of times a match, otherwise leaves us out of shape. Knibbs is the best at it, but some of the others can’t do it very well at all

Don’t have obvious ideas of how to create with possession. Some vague tactics towards getting it to the FBs for crossing, but then Yiadom and Dorsett (first choice FBs) aren’t good at crossing

Midfield is still a big hole half the time, though Craig helps that a bit

Wing and Smith are excellent. Azeez is a very decent player at this level who is just starting to get that final ball right. Individual moments from these three along with Knibbs just being busy seem our only route to goal. Look crap form set pieces and the left.

Defence shaky and still exposed. Still beaten physically too often. Holmes, Dean and Mola did nothing to suggest they should be in front of Abbey and Binden. Holmes passing was poor - often backwards and horrible floaty balls towards a pressing forward. Dean actually brought it out of defence quite well

And team selection was poor. Eastleigh manager clearly delighted with it. He knew full well who are dangermen were and they were on the bench

Yes not reading too much into it due to team selection - think Wing and Craig have added a lot of strength in the middle and Azeez is starting to find form. Also missing Abbey at the back as he's been one of our most consistent performers and Smith up front from the start. Terrible though how disorganised we are from corners ...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2023 11:14

Snowflake Royal

Nice

Yeah, so that's £67k, plus gate receipts, plus good chance of £100k prize money and then more gate receipts.

The team was just starting to rebuild some confidence after a dreadful period. Well guess what, a poor performance against non-league opposition and a last minute defeat, on TV, after the high of a late equaliser just undid all that.

Woo, USelles got two of the most obvious subs ever right. Of course, his other three were shit. As was half his original team selection.

Think there’s too much talk of the team selection going on. Ones I’d question is Mola at CB (although he was one of the better players IMO - we do love a scapegoat here) and Elliott out left (that one made little sense)

I don’t think he’s a very good manager but the performance yesterday reflects more on the players’ than the manager. The first goal was so poor, Elliott cheaply giving the ball away and the two fullbacks marking space rather than their respective players. You can’t always legislate for that. Likewise our two CB’s going awol in the 90th minute

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2023 11:38

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Nice

Think there’s too much talk of the team selection going on. Ones I’d question is Mola at CB (although he was one of the better players IMO - we do love a scapegoat here) and Elliott out left (that one made little sense)

I don’t think he’s a very good manager but the performance yesterday reflects more on the players’ than the manager. The first goal was so poor, Elliott cheaply giving the ball away and the two fullbacks marking space rather than their respective players. You can’t always legislate for that. Likewise our two CB’s going awol in the 90th minute

Of course easy to look back in hindsight but having Savage and Eliot in the team together was the wrong choice. Both lightweight and bullied. If we want to win the game Wing and Smith have to start, they are our 2 best all round players

Very risky playing Mola CB with Carson LB. Lack of pace at CB and even less pace after HT when Dean comes on. Prob should have had either Mbengue or Abbey alongside Dean/Holmes and Dorsett (no chance of him being bullied) at LB. Not like they’ve had tons of games recently and it’d help Dorsett learn the position to keep playing there. NGW otherwise as a more physical option

I’d have prob played Hutch as well tbh.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 11:45

Hound
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Yeah, so that's £67k, plus gate receipts, plus good chance of £100k prize money and then more gate receipts.

Of course easy to look back in hindsight but having Savage and Eliot in the team together was the wrong choice. Both lightweight and bullied. If we want to win the game Wing and Smith have to start, they are our 2 best all round players

Very risky playing Mola CB with Carson LB. Lack of pace at CB and even less pace after HT when Dean comes on. Prob should have had either Mbengue or Abbey alongside Dean/Holmes and Dorsett (no chance of him being bullied) at LB. Not like they’ve had tons of games recently and it’d help Dorsett learn the position to keep playing there. NGW otherwise as a more physical option

I’d have prob played Hutch as well tbh.

I think we've learned which of our young players are ready now tbh.

Abbey and Bindon are, Craig is, Dorsett has started well and Vickers can make an impact.

Carson, Savage, Elliott, Ehibhatiomhan and Mola are not. Perhaps bench appearances, but I would not trust them in any starting XI currently.

If you can't do the basics like track runners and win the 1st ball in your box, you lose at any level. Eastleigh are 2 divisions below us, but are still a professional outfit and were always going to punish us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2023 11:51

Still thing it is better for all, including him, that Selles is moved on but ain't going to happen until/unless we replace the owner. Joked a week ago that as League form had improved with 2 straight wins, we would likely lose at Eastleigh and v Charlton - and honestly, I would take that if it means we beat Barnsley and Oxford (or take 4 points).

And yes, I know it is not an either/or situation.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Dec 2023 12:21

Stranded Still thing it is better for all, including him, that Selles is moved on but ain't going to happen until/unless we replace the owner. Joked a week ago that as League form had improved with 2 straight wins, we would likely lose at Eastleigh and v Charlton - and honestly, I would take that if it means we beat Barnsley and Oxford (or take 4 points).

I made the fundamental naive mistake of saying to jnr leon II tuesday night that if we beat Eastleigh Sunday we would be set up nicely to drag ourselves out of the relegation zone on the back of some confidence, but Selles put paid to that.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Dec 2023 12:38

Six wins in a row and I'll still want him out. Nice guy, but the not right guy for a League 1 or 2 scrap.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 13:03

Wycombe Royal Six wins in a row and I'll still want him out. Nice guy, but the not right guy for a League 1 or 2 scrap.

Reckon he could do a job in an academy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2023 13:32

leon
Stranded Still thing it is better for all, including him, that Selles is moved on but ain't going to happen until/unless we replace the owner. Joked a week ago that as League form had improved with 2 straight wins, we would likely lose at Eastleigh and v Charlton - and honestly, I would take that if it means we beat Barnsley and Oxford (or take 4 points).

I made the fundamental naive mistake of saying to jnr leon II tuesday night that if we beat Eastleigh Sunday we would be set up nicely to drag ourselves out of the relegation zone on the back of some confidence, but Selles put paid to that.

Naive follow up - how would you feel if he goes back to being close to full strength on Weds and beats Charlton in a competition we could actually win?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Dec 2023 13:42

Stranded
leon

Naive follow up - how would you feel if he goes back to being close to full strength on Weds and beats Charlton in a competition we could actually win?

hmmm depends on the manner of the win, but I really have zero confidence in him. The sooner we get a proper manager in the better.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Dec 2023 13:53

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Six wins in a row and I'll still want him out. Nice guy, but the not right guy for a League 1 or 2 scrap.

Reckon he could do a job in an academy.

Possibly. He's defintely a coach and not a manager.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 04 Dec 2023 14:16

Not backing him but if we recorded six wins in a row I would suggest something had clicked in a positive way and getting rid at that point would be bonkers. :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 15:14

I'm still Selles Out, but yesterday's showing made me question how good this squad really is and whether another manager could do loads better. I think survival would be the ambition for anyone.

We have 3 players who would genuinely feature in most L1 teams: Smith, Wing and Abbey.

We then Knibbs, Azeez and Mukairu who are decent but inconsistent. Yiadom and Button are experienced but hardly spectacular. Some young players like Bindon, Craig and Dorsett are making a good effort at stepping up.

They you have underperforming experienced players like Dean and Hutchinson who look like they're already mentally retired, damaged goods like Holmes and NGW and talented youngsters who are not ready like Savage, Carson and Elliott.

We seem to have built a bloated squad of players who are not quite good enough.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2023 16:36

WestYorksRoyal I'm still Selles Out, but yesterday's showing made me question how good this squad really is and whether another manager could do loads better. I think survival would be the ambition for anyone.

We have 3 players who would genuinely feature in most L1 teams: Smith, Wing and Abbey.

We then Knibbs, Azeez and Mukairu who are decent but inconsistent. Yiadom and Button are experienced but hardly spectacular. Some young players like Bindon, Craig and Dorsett are making a good effort at stepping up.

They you have underperforming experienced players like Dean and Hutchinson who look like they're already mentally retired, damaged goods like Holmes and NGW and talented youngsters who are not ready like Savage, Carson and Elliott.

We seem to have built a bloated squad of players who are not quite good enough.

Unsurprising given that that target seems to have been Reading's transfer policy for the last 6 years.

859 posts