Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Selles out

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2023 17:41

Bit early but the way things a running with the club at the moment high comedy is expected.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles out

by Hendo » 21 Jun 2023 17:49

:roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2023 18:16

Well done, now SDR will post in this weekly.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 19:19

I'll never be Selles in unless we're near the top of league one

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2023 20:50

Selles Before We Dai

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jun 2023 08:39

Selles will be gone by October.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2023 08:45

Elm Park Kid Selles will be gone by October.

Hark at Wyclef Jean over here.

On Strings

by On Strings » 22 Jun 2023 09:20

I'm happy with him. Who realistically would you be expecting considering the mess we're in?

Saints fans were saying yesterday that he likes to keep possession and play on the front foot, favouring a 4-2-2-2. He was well liked in the dressing-room and great with the young players. He's clearly eager to prove himself as a Manager, so lets just give him a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jun 2023 09:30

Royal_jimmy I'll never be Selles in unless we're near the top of league one

What's the top for you? I think I'll be pretty happy if we're in and around the play-offs with the playing stuff currently the way it is.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Jun 2023 11:44

Ian it is for me. I doubt Ian could do much worse a job than most of the clowns this club appoints as so called managers and we could at least have fun winding him up on here.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Jun 2023 14:47

Middle ground, no expectations, open to good things but alert to bad ones.

People thought Stam would be a disaster and he had us penalties away from promotion.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jun 2023 15:07

SCIAG Middle ground, no expectations, open to good things but alert to bad ones.

People thought Stam would be a disaster and he had us penalties away from promotion.

a) LIke Parj and Brian, Stam had a clean slate in terms of first team management so he could go either way unlike Selles who has given it a bash and has proven himself to be beyond awful b) Stam was actually ultimately shite.

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 22 Jun 2023 15:18

Reuban UsellesS

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2023 18:25

Hendo

What's the top for you? I think I'll be pretty happy if we're in and around the play-offs with the playing stuff currently the way it is.

At this point top half is looking positive.

Same deal as anyone else for me. Below mid-table is disappointing but tolerable under the circumstances. Below 16th and not. And just generally being oxf*rd useless and things falling apart no matter whether there was a good run 10 games ago isn’t good enough.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Jun 2023 18:39

Millsy
SCIAG Middle ground, no expectations, open to good things but alert to bad ones.

a) LIke Parj and Brian, Stam had a clean slate in terms of first team management so he could go either way unlike Selles who has given it a bash and has proven himself to be beyond awful b) Stam was actually ultimately shite.

Do you think Pardew or McDermott would have kept Southampton up? What about, say, Simon Grayson, who is probably the best League One manager of recent years?
It's just a bit of a shit way of judging someone, isn't it? Hassenhuttl and Jones both couldn't get anything out of that side, they were out of their depth after years of poor recruitment, they were basically bottom all season. It doesn't seem especially relevant to whether someone will be a success in another job, unless that job is also managing the worst team in the Premier League.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Jun 2023 20:51

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

At this point top half is looking positive.

Same deal as anyone else for me. Below mid-table is disappointing but tolerable under the circumstances. Below 16th and not. And just generally being oxf*rd useless and things falling apart no matter whether there was a good run 10 games ago isn’t good enough.

With the squad that we have currently we'd do very well to finish above the bottom 8

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jun 2023 10:30

SCIAG
Millsy

Do you think Pardew or McDermott would have kept Southampton up? What about, say, Simon Grayson, who is probably the best League One manager of recent years?
It's just a bit of a shit way of judging someone, isn't it? Hassenhuttl and Jones both couldn't get anything out of that side, they were out of their depth after years of poor recruitment, they were basically bottom all season. It doesn't seem especially relevant to whether someone will be a success in another job, unless that job is also managing the worst team in the Premier League.

It’s not about keeping them up it’s about the stats. I think any manager could have gotten at least a new manager honeymoon (like Ince at least did when he kept us up) bounce out of them and thus better stats but he was just awful throughout. But even if not, what… the best you’ve got is “Well perhaps he isn’t *that* shit”.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Jun 2023 11:36

How bad would things have to go for him to be the worst appointment in our history?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Jun 2023 12:51

Millsy
SCIAG
Millsy

It’s not about keeping them up it’s about the stats. I think any manager could have gotten at least a new manager honeymoon (like Ince at least did when he kept us up) bounce out of them and thus better stats but he was just awful throughout. But even if not, what… the best you’ve got is “Well perhaps he isn’t *that* shit”.

Any manager could have done, but it's hardly guaranteed. Many tipped Leeds to stay up when Allardyce took over, but he was a disaster.

Nigel Adkins didn't when he replaced McDermott. McDermott didn't when he replaced Clarke. Burns didn't when he replaced Bullivant. Pardew didn't when he replaced Burns - it took quite an injection of cash to turn things around.

I think all you can really say about Selles is that there's nothing to indicate he'll be a good manager. 17 games at a club that looked doomed by the time he took over says little other than that he couldn't stop the rot.

Personally, he's not someone I want as manager, but I'm not sure what alternatives are out there. Unless in the next week we somehow sort all the financial issues, who'd want to come here?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2023 13:27

Selles presumably.

There's always someone interested.

859 posts