#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2661 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by blythspartan » 19 Jan 2024 07:46

I see that the crowd funding for this has now reached almost £10.5k in just a few days. Not that we’d want to give money to Dai but I do wonder what sort of amount the fans could raise to buy the club, especially if the local businesses were on board.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jan 2024 07:47

Pepe the Horseman
maffff Today has seen the launch of a new Twitter account: @Propaganda1871

Please see below comment on the account:

This account is set-up with the goal of getting Chinese govt, state media, Chinese overseas communities, and a very engaged China Watcher community on Twitter aware of Reading FC’s problems with Dai Yongge.

The account will engage with #SellBeforeWeDai messaging on Twitter. It will also be tagging relevant accounts to increase visibility (EFL, EFL Comms, The FA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, UK MPs, PRC govt twitter accounts as well as state media and other relevant accounts). Please do feel free to take content from this account and share it widely across socials - the wider it goes, the more likely it will be seen.

Content will be drafted, aimed at embarrassing Dai, alluding to CCP/PRC policies. We’re also doctoring propaganda posters to feature Dai.

The ultimate goal here is to get people talking about Reading FC, and to see the issue on Chinese social media (Weibo, Weixin) and to be discussed in prominent media channels in the UK.

The aim is for this to be done in a way that gives Reading FC fans something to smile about, and have a bit of fun with! We also really need everyone’s help.

Follow the account, turn on notifications for all posts, and like RT, comment, Quote Tweet. Any way you can get this out and about.

All we ask is that we keep in mind that our target here is Dai – not China or Chinese people, so please try to avoid any comments that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive to people form China/of Chinese heritage. If in doubt, try to post in a different way.

Finally, its important to point out that once there is critical mass of people and a spotlight on this aspect, then the intention is to up the ante (denials of more scandal and controversy involving Dai that we’re monitoring in Chinese media/Chinese sources).

The team behind this account will remain anonymous, at least until Reading FC get the news we are all so desperately after, that Dai has sold the club.

We hope you enjoy this account as much we’re going to enjoy running it.

Is that account not offensive in itself? It comes across as a Chinese pisstake, but maybe I just don't get it.

Yeah, I don’t get it either, but that’s probably down to my age.

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 19 Jan 2024 09:18

maffff Today has seen the launch of a new Twitter account: @Propaganda1871

The team behind this account will remain anonymous, at least until Reading FC get the news we are all so desperately after, that Dai has sold the club.

I've read through some of the posts. It's this guy isn't it...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 09:41

Press continues to look at us - Guardian recounting the story of the failed Oxford/Reading merger attempt: https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... super-club

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Jan 2024 10:04

Stranded Press continues to look at us - Guardian recounting the story of the failed Oxford/Reading merger attempt: https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... super-club

excellent read, thank you.

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 10:10

tmesis Derby fans seem to be very vocal in their dislike of Reading, which could make next week interesting.

Portsmouth too, where somehow singing "pay up, Pompey" means we wanted them to go bust, rather than a comment on them avoiding debts by going into administration.

In truth, if Derby sing songs about us going bust, it's not going to make it onto the top 10 of things I'm bothered about that day.

Thats not just what was sung about Pompey though was it. It was constant "Party and cakes when Pompey die", "Let em die" and many other chants, my personal favourite "We're embracing fiscal prudence" (oh, the irony) and together with that thread it was pretty clear there was a huge section of Reading fans that rejoiced in Pompey's downfall. Theres no point in pretending otherwise. I lives in Reading at the time and I dodnt speak to a single Reading fan that didnt want Pompey to die.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 10:24

kieran
tmesis Derby fans seem to be very vocal in their dislike of Reading, which could make next week interesting.

Portsmouth too, where somehow singing "pay up, Pompey" means we wanted them to go bust, rather than a comment on them avoiding debts by going into administration.

In truth, if Derby sing songs about us going bust, it's not going to make it onto the top 10 of things I'm bothered about that day.

Thats not just what was sung about Pompey though was it. It was constant "Party and cakes when Pompey die", "Let em die" and many other chants, my personal favourite "We're embracing fiscal prudence" (oh, the irony) and together with that thread it was pretty clear there was a huge section of Reading fans that rejoiced in Pompey's downfall. Theres no point in pretending otherwise. I lives in Reading at the time and I dodnt speak to a single Reading fan that didnt want Pompey to die.

That may well have more to do with the people you spoke to then anything else.

No-one is denying that some fans of our club enjoyed other clubs going through the shit but I seriously doubt, there is one who is annoyed they weren't saved. It however, shows a serious level of internal anger, to really be of the mindset of - they sang some nasty songs about us so I hope they get fcuked. Sing nasty songs back by all means but you would think fans of a club who have been through this shit would be the most supportive but its football I guess, and people enjoy being an arsehole.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2024 10:24

blythspartan I see that the crowd funding for this has now reached almost £10.5k in just a few days. Not that we’d want to give money to Dai but I do wonder what sort of amount the fans could raise to buy the club, especially if the local businesses were on board.

Maybe quarter mil?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2024 10:27

I also clearly recall going to Palace away years ago and joining in with the "you're in ad min i stration" to the yine of Seven nation army. Thought it was very amusing at the time!

We're no saints by any means

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jan 2024 10:29

They seem to be of the mindset of punish the entire fan base for the actions of a couple of hundred hot head kids back then, we can`t control what other fans think so we just have to take it on the chin.
But one thing is absolutely clear, most genuine fans are right behind us.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 19 Jan 2024 10:30

kieran

I think there's a difference between wanting a club to go into administration and wanting it to cease to exist. I honestly doubt the majority of Reading fans wanted Portsmouth to be liquidated. I also think the animosity towards Portsmouth was exacerbated by their overspending getting them to an FA Cup final.

In the case of Derby, I genuinely felt sorry for them and admired the efforts of their team and their excellent support in an impossible
situation. Again, I'm sure many did, but there's always going to be a moronic few who think mocking the potential death of a club is 'bantz'

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2024 10:30

windermereROYAL They seem to be of the mindset of punish the entire fan base for the actions of a couple of hundred hot head kids back then, we can`t control what other fans think so we just have to take it on the chin.
But one thing is absolutely clear, most genuine fans are right behind us.

What is a "genuine" fan?

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 10:53

Schards#2
kieran

I think there's a difference between wanting a club to go into administration and wanting it to cease to exist. I honestly doubt the majority of Reading fans wanted Portsmouth to be liquidated. I also think the animosity towards Portsmouth was exacerbated by their overspending getting them to an FA Cup final.

In the case of Derby, I genuinely felt sorry for them and admired the efforts of their team and their excellent support in an impossible
situation. Again, I'm sure many did, but there's always going to be a moronic few who think mocking the potential death of a club is 'bantz'

Go back and have a look at the thread on here. There were many hoping Pompey would die. And I also spoke to many.

Its exactly the same situation, there will be many Pompey fans with sympathy but there will also be a sizeable number with none. Compare that to a club that hasnt been abused in the past where it will be 100% sympathy. Reading also got to a semi final by overspending? Of course Pompey were actually succesfull but does that make it more wrong as your post seems to suggest that there is a little justification that perhaps doesnt apply to Reading?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jan 2024 11:57

kieran
Schards#2
kieran

Go back and have a look at the thread on here. There were many hoping Pompey would die. And I also spoke to many.

Its exactly the same situation, there will be many Pompey fans with sympathy but there will also be a sizeable number with none. Compare that to a club that hasnt been abused in the past where it will be 100% sympathy. Reading also got to a semi final by overspending? Of course Pompey were actually succesfull but does that make it more wrong as your post seems to suggest that there is a little justification that perhaps doesnt apply to Reading?

Apart from Pogs wages I'm not sure we had overspent that much.

Certainly not to the extent that we'd signed a player who was earning more at our Club than they earned when they were playing at one of the top clubs in the world like Pompey were with Lassana Diarra.

I think Reading fans problem and lack of sympathy with Portsmouth was more down to the lack of effort from Pompey against Fulham the week before the cup final. There would still have been the usual "witty" banter you get during matches because that's what football fans do, but probably less actual ill will from Reading fans towards Portsmouth if it wasn't for that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 11:59

Orion1871
kieran
Schards#2

Apart from Pogs wages I'm not sure we had overspent that much.

Certainly not to the extent that we'd signed a player who was earning more at our Club than they earned when they were playing at one of the top clubs in the world like Pompey were with Lassana Diarra.

I think Reading fans problem and lack of sympathy with Portsmouth was more down to the lack of effort from Pompey against Fulham the week before the cup final. There would still have been the usual "witty" banter you get during matches because that's what football fans do, but probably less actual ill will from Reading fans towards Portsmouth if it wasn't for that.

And pinching Tommy Smith with money they didn't have. But this is all a long time ago now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2024 12:04

Stranded
kieran

No-one is denying that some fans of our club enjoyed other clubs going through the shit but I seriously doubt, there is one who is annoyed they weren't saved. It however, shows a serious level of internal anger, to really be of the mindset of - they sang some nasty songs about us so I hope they get fcuked. Sing nasty songs back by all means but you would think fans of a club who have been through this shit would be the most supportive but its football I guess, and people enjoy being an arsehole.

Think the general disdain at the time for Pompey was rife across a lot of supporters of other clubs because of how they'd got themselves into such a mess, but probably what really wound the Reading support up the most was the seeming failure to take their last game of the 2007/8 season v Fulham seriously because they had a cup final the following week.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 19 Jan 2024 12:06

kieran
Schards#2
kieran

Reading didn't get to a semi-final from overspending though, they were actually barely losing money when they made the semi final, no different to 90% of the football league.

I'm personally not arsed if Portsmouth, Derby fans etc feel sympathetic or not. Sure it's nice, but it doesn't do a great deal at the end of the day

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jan 2024 12:09

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan I see that the crowd funding for this has now reached almost £10.5k in just a few days. Not that we’d want to give money to Dai but I do wonder what sort of amount the fans could raise to buy the club, especially if the local businesses were on board.

Maybe quarter mil?

Yeah, that’s probably realistic.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2024 12:10

FSA backing the idea for all fans to show soldarity by applauding the 16th minute of games...

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/16-is-the-ma ... t-reading/

Would love that to happen, hope the message gets out...

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 12:37

Sutekh
Stranded
kieran

Think the general disdain at the time for Pompey was rife across a lot of supporters of other clubs because of how they'd got themselves into such a mess, but probably what really wound the Reading support up the most was the seeming failure to take their last game of the 2007/8 season v Fulham seriously because they had a cup final the following week.

I think you are proving my point. Apparently theres a good reason for ill feeling towards Pompey but Reading deserve no ill feeeling even thought it has been dispensed. Reading are special..sheeesh.

Be honest, Reading would have rested players ahead of an FA cup final also, and you would have supported it.
Be honest, Reading have overspent just as Pompey did (maybe not as much but the principle is the same). Neither set of fans have any say in it.
Be honest, you would have celebrated if you won the FA cup

Maybe if it were just accepted that Reading is no different and we all got screwed then there may be a little more sympathy?

But, I am guessing theres going to be a reply justifying why Reading is different.................

2661 posts