#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2661 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Feb 2024 09:53

With previous accusations at DBWD that they have only taken an interest in other clubs financial predicaments because of the situation we are in, what is the future plan for SBWD when our mess is resolved and our future is looking more rosy?

There are, and will be, many more clubs in financial trouble. Would be interesting to know if they have thought about a post Dai world and how they could potentially team up with other clubs to offer ideas/exposure/support when there may be trouble elsewhere

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2024 13:13

Winston Biscuit With previous accusations at DBWD that they have only taken an interest in other clubs financial predicaments because of the situation we are in, what is the future plan for SBWD when our mess is resolved and our future is looking more rosy?

There are, and will be, many more clubs in financial trouble. Would be interesting to know if they have thought about a post Dai world and how they could potentially team up with other clubs to offer ideas/exposure/support when there may be trouble elsewhere

As always, a tiny majority will continue to show interest in financial governance support and will support other clubs, but 95% of supporters will just be happy to someone else come in and hand over free money to support their hobby - and even better if that mystery person expends absolutely nothing back in return.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Feb 2024 13:20

I like to think we'll collectively be more aware and supportive. But it's exhausting and a lot of effort, so it'll be a rare fan that gets very active for another club.

I think we'll probably be better about it than Derby or Pompey fans have been for us though.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2024 13:27

Brighton are the paragons of this. As well as supporting us now, over the years they've taken coachloads of supporters to "Fans United" days to support the like of York, Cambridge, Macclesfield and probably a couple of others I can't remember.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Feb 2024 13:55

Dirk Gently Brighton are the paragons of this. As well as supporting us now, over the years they've taken coachloads of supporters to "Fans United" days to support the like of York, Cambridge, Macclesfield and probably a couple of others I can't remember.

Haven't seen any coachloads of Brighton fans at Reading games this season, not even the Trophy game :?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2024 15:40

Sutekh
Dirk Gently Brighton are the paragons of this. As well as supporting us now, over the years they've taken coachloads of supporters to "Fans United" days to support the like of York, Cambridge, Macclesfield and probably a couple of others I can't remember.

Haven't seen any coachloads of Brighton fans at Reading games this season, not even the Trophy game :?

Because what's gone on so far haven't been sort of games where fans from other clubs can particularly contribute anything.

They've not been idle, though...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Feb 2024 18:03

Maybe the next Kieran Maguire will be from Reading.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Feb 2024 19:08

Will Brighton help Reading get a Coppell/Madejski statue built though?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Feb 2024 04:46

Winston Biscuit With previous accusations at DBWD that they have only taken an interest in other clubs financial predicaments because of the situation we are in, what is the future plan for SBWD when our mess is resolved and our future is looking more rosy?

I'd like us take the Portsmouth approach and wish death on anyone that's ever wronged us.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Feb 2024 09:38

Pepe the Horseman I'd like us take the Portsmouth approach and wish death on anyone that's ever wronged us.

But I don't have a stepfather.

kieran

by kieran » 26 Feb 2024 09:56

Pepe the Horseman I'd like us take the Portsmouth approach and wish death on anyone that's ever wronged us.

I think the problem was the majority of fans appeared to chose to stick to the belief that Pompey deserved it and Reading dont. Polarised views attract polarised views from both sides and hence the animosity.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Feb 2024 10:37

Winston Biscuit With previous accusations at DBWD

Dance Before We Dai?

Would certainly get some coverage on the TV, Maybe Robbie Savage can do a strictly number again in the centre circle?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Feb 2024 22:16

kieran

I think the problem was the majority of fans appeared to chose to stick to the belief that Pompey deserved it and Reading dont. Polarised views attract polarised views from both sides and hence the animosity.

Both clubs completely deserved the problems they've had.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Feb 2024 23:06

Snowflake Royal
kieran

What does a club do to deserve the problems? What even is a club? Because Dai and his cronies sure as hell aren't Reading FC. Dai deserves everything he's getting, does that mean the club does? And similarly, you can say Pompey cheated to win the FA Cup, but it wasn't the fans who did that. And how do you expect them to react when they win? Winning the FA Cup is the stuff of dreams for clubs of our size, and I think you have to accept it as a once in a lifetime moment worth celebrating. They deserved everything that happened because they enjoyed winning it?

I don't think any club "deserves" this. I'd view it as a cycle. Owners will come and go, good and bad. Enjoy it when you have a good owner you can be proud of, and fight when you get a shit one. Pompey finally seem to be in a good cycle, hopefully we can see the good times return here too. The water gets muddied when you celebrate a bad owner - see Chelsea fans. Perhaps they deserve a bad time.

kieran

by kieran » 27 Feb 2024 12:49

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
kieran

What does a club do to deserve the problems? What even is a club? Because Dai and his cronies sure as hell aren't Reading FC. Dai deserves everything he's getting, does that mean the club does? And similarly, you can say Pompey cheated to win the FA Cup, but it wasn't the fans who did that. And how do you expect them to react when they win? Winning the FA Cup is the stuff of dreams for clubs of our size, and I think you have to accept it as a once in a lifetime moment worth celebrating. They deserved everything that happened because they enjoyed winning it?

I don't think any club "deserves" this. I'd view it as a cycle. Owners will come and go, good and bad. Enjoy it when you have a good owner you can be proud of, and fight when you get a shit one. Pompey finally seem to be in a good cycle, hopefully we can see the good times return here too. The water gets muddied when you celebrate a bad owner - see Chelsea fans. Perhaps they deserve a bad time.

This 100%

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2024 12:56

Break the rules, get punished.

Fans are all complicit in it with their ridiculous expectations and constant demands for spending and instant success. Welcoming anyone with cash with no concern for how vile they are.

We have at least had some push back from fans over Dai's tenure but not enough until very recently. Some Pompey fans were still claiming they were well run before their last administration.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2024 13:14

Fans have always wanted success, it's not their fault the game is so broken that it needs to involve massive external investment (which is also true for good examples like Brighton and Brentford). And there are often competing emotions. When we signed Joao, Puscas, Ejaria and Rafael in a few days, I was concerned what it meant for FFP but there is also a rush from watching your clubs go big in the transfer market, so that's conflicting opinions within 1 fan, let alone an entire fan base. Some Newcastle fans don't care about the source of their owners wealth, some hold their nose, while Darlington got a rush of new season tickets from those who couldn't accept it.

Each fan base has a plurality of fans and opinions. Some probably do deserve it. I still believe one solution would be founding "Bellend FC" and sending the worst of every fanbase there. Bassini or Dai can own them. But plenty of fans just want an honest team who care for the club who have a chance of punching above their weight. To say all fans deserve what they get is nonsense.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Feb 2024 14:00

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
kieran

Absolutely nailed it with that!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 27 Feb 2024 14:30

SBWD have issued new statement.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Feb 2024 15:04

Royals and Racers SBWD have issued new statement.

I sometimes think SBWD need to consider the bigger picture and why these punishments are levied.

2661 posts