#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2661 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 14:19

This business puts the players sales into more perspective. If we had managed to sell Azeez and Smith in January for a combined £4m potentially we could have seen the season out.

As it was, we kept the squad arguably stronger than we needed to survive, and we've lost the training ground and academy instead, more or less gutting the club of its entire status and future viability.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 14 Mar 2024 14:24

£4m :lol: :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2024 14:37

Think it would've been £1.5m at the very, very most for Smith and Azeez.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 14:45

Agreed, who the hell was going to pay anything like £4m for those two? Best you could have hoped for was about £1m with a decent sell on clause.

Still that would have been a £1m shortfall covered this month and us have this same debate about selling Bearwood next month instead.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 14:47

jd82 £4m :lol: :lol:

Missing the point but sure.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 14 Mar 2024 14:50

Greatwesternline

Making up figures to suit your point, but sure.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 14:53

jd82
Greatwesternline

We could have sold more players to pay bills as and when they fell due, rather than rip the only piece of infrastructure owns out of the club was my point.

People on here think we got half a million for a distinctly average CB who failed in the Championship and then had an attitude problem in League 1. I suspect we could have got more for a proven goal scorer and a relatively lively young winger.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 14:59

Greatwesternline
jd82
Greatwesternline

We could have sold more players to pay bills as and when they fell due, rather than rip the only piece of infrastructure owns out of the club was my point.

People on here think we got half a million for a distinctly average CB who failed in the Championship and then had an attitude problem in League 1. I suspect we could have got more for a proven goal scorer and a relatively lively young winger.

No you can't. You can't sell players to pay bills as they fall due as the stupid restraint of trade things now effectively limit clubs to only being able to buy/sell in January, June, July and August so if a club finds itself with a sudden shortfall/unforseen bill in March (yes it should have budgeted better but lots of clubs are financial baskets cases so never going to happen) it can't do anything. This is one reason why you don't get windows applied in the non league world as it would kill those clubs.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 15:01

Sutekh
Greatwesternline
jd82

No you can't. You can't sell players to pay bills as they fall due as the stupid restraint of trade things now effectively limit clubs to only being able to buy/sell in January, June, July and August so if a club finds itself with a sudden shortfall/unforseen bill in March it can't do anything. This is one reason why you don't get windows applied in the non league world as it would kill those clubs.

I'm talking about January, obviously. The club would have known its outgoings and ingoings in January for the rest of the season.

Bizarrely they didnt sell enough players in January to meet those debts.

Perhaps the person in charge hoped the club would be sold before March.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Mar 2024 15:02

For once I agree that an idea of a protest at Adam's Park is a stupid idea.

We should be going to Dayong Pang's house instead and making his life hell. Make him scared.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 15:06

Greatwesternline
Sutekh
Greatwesternline

No you can't. You can't sell players to pay bills as they fall due as the stupid restraint of trade things now effectively limit clubs to only being able to buy/sell in January, June, July and August so if a club finds itself with a sudden shortfall/unforseen bill in March it can't do anything. This is one reason why you don't get windows applied in the non league world as it would kill those clubs.

I'm talking about January, obviously. The club would have known its outgoings and ingoings in January for the rest of the season.

The other issue here of course is supply and demand. The club isn't going to be able to sell anyone if no-one wants them, and they won't just give them away either, presuming the player wanted to go as well. Don't think there were any realistic offers for players in January other than the two that were sold.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 15:08

Sutekh
Greatwesternline
Sutekh

The other issue here of course is supply and demand. The club isn't going to be able to sell anyone if no-one wants them, and they won't just give them away either. Don't think there were any realistic offers for players in January other than the two that were sold.

If there were offers for McIntyre who wasnt in the side, there would be takes for a player like Sam Smith.

My pompey mate says the assumed wisdom in pompey circles is they got McIntyre for £75k.

Selles himself said they got multiple insulting offers for players. The club basically went bust this month, less than two months after a transfer window. That's pretty bad mismanagement.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Mar 2024 15:09

NathStPaul
Hound
NathStPaul Because it encourages anger against Wycombe as a football club which is wrong. We have no business being anywhere near their ground protesting.

Not if WWFC fans are there and endorse

I’m not saying it’ll do any good - the other protests haven’t much as we’d link to think they would - but I can’t criticise people for trying something however pointless it seems

Better that than sitting on here whinging (which is exactly what I’m doing fwiw)

Find it hard to believe any Wycombe supporter would be against a great deal for their club (on paper). Our issues aren't their issues.

Because most genuine fans (myself included) wouldn't like their club having blood their hands. If the roles were reversed, as great as the deal might be it's a morally wrong thing to support.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 15:14

Greatwesternline
Sutekh
Greatwesternline

The other issue here of course is supply and demand. The club isn't going to be able to sell anyone if no-one wants them, and they won't just give them away either. Don't think there were any realistic offers for players in January other than the two that were sold.

If there were offers for McIntyre who wasnt in the side, there would be takes for a player like Sam Smith.

My pompey mate says the assumed wisdom in pompey circles is they got McIntyre for £75k.

Selles himself said they got multiple insulting offers for players. The club basically went bust this month, less than two months after a transfer window. That's pretty bad mismanagement.

May I remind you who the owner and CEO are.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 15:20

Sutekh
Greatwesternline
Sutekh

May I remind you who the owner and CEO are.

Dai knew he'd get his money one way or the next. Someone should have probably thought, hang on, is it better to go out of business in March, or sell a few more players in January.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2024 15:48

We’d be bottom 4, attendances and income down and the pittance received for Smith and Azeez wouldn’t have got us through the month (if the money for Abbey and Vickers is already gone, shows the sort of figures we were accepting)

Also need to remember they’d have to agree to the transfer - Smith clearly didn’t want to leave. Azeez seems happy here

So not a good idea at all.
Last edited by Hound on 14 Mar 2024 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

royal67

by royal67 » 14 Mar 2024 15:48

I think that the sale of the training ground facilities (if it happens) really is the final nail in the coffin of the Club. What really makes this situation feel even worse are the amazing efforts of the staff, Manager and players in the face of all of the sh1t that's been flying about in recent months. They've been outstanding considering the circumstances. Dai doesn't give a monkeys whether the club lives or dies, he shouldn't be able to have any business interests in the UK ever again after this debacle. I'm a relative newbie, I've only been supporting the club for 45 years or so but at no point did I think that it would ever cease to exist (not even when the Thames Valley Royals merger was happening). The clown seems absolutely focused on destroying the club ! The whole situation is so depressing.... Sorry, rant over....

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 14 Mar 2024 15:59

So, getting 25M for the training ground will allow us to cover the 1M until the rest of the club can be sold. Does that mean that the surplus can then be used to pay back some of those interest-free loans Dai made to the club?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Mar 2024 16:19

dontbedaft So, getting 25M for the training ground will allow us to cover the 1M until the rest of the club can be sold. Does that mean that the surplus can then be used to pay back some of those interest-free loans Dai made to the club?

Seems a pretty reasonable assumption.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Mar 2024 16:22

Can someone from SBWD or STAR let us know what is going to happen to funds raised "to save the club" this month or to "pay for a staff party" before Christmas? It is not needed by the club now, so will the donors be reimbursed?

2661 posts