Selles confimred

305 posts
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles confimred

by 72 bus » 26 Jun 2023 21:13

Royal_jimmy Ridiculous appointment again. No experience, the clubs a mess, his system doesn't suit players like Carroll who we should be building the side around.

What's the bloody point. Another nobody managing the team and Dai taking yet another big risk.

Just hope this time I'm proven wrong for the good of the club and the mental health of every Reading fan and he gets us top 6 or more. I just don't see it though.

Just got to get behind him and hope for the best but I expect he'll be under pressure before Christmas and our scummy owner will sack him.

We should be building the side around 34 year old Andy Carroll ?
Please explain.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Jun 2023 21:31

Royal_jimmy Maybe read what Southampton fans have to say about him. They think he isn't cut out to be a manager anywhere.

Ince and now Selles are 2 appointments I've been so underwhelmed by.

I just want Dayong Pang gone and I want the Dai's to bog off.

I would assess our recent managerial appointments as such:

Ince - Made sense at the time.
Pauno - Baffling
Bowen - Sort of made sense but Bowen should have realised he was needed in the boardroom more.
Gomes - Baffling
Clement - Understandable gamble.
Stam - Blinded by the name. Regardless of how it turned out, still think it was a poor choice.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jun 2023 21:44

Royal_jimmy Maybe read what Southampton fans have to say about him. They think he isn't cut out to be a manager anywhere.

But a lot wish him well, thought he had the right ideas but not the players to implement it. Has a style of football we should embrace.

Welcome aboard.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 21:57

72 bus
Royal_jimmy Ridiculous appointment again. No experience, the clubs a mess, his system doesn't suit players like Carroll who we should be building the side around.

What's the bloody point. Another nobody managing the team and Dai taking yet another big risk.

Just hope this time I'm proven wrong for the good of the club and the mental health of every Reading fan and he gets us top 6 or more. I just don't see it though.

Just got to get behind him and hope for the best but I expect he'll be under pressure before Christmas and our scummy owner will sack him.

We should be building the side around 34 year old Andy Carroll ?
Please explain.

He's our best striker and probably will be next season?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 21:58

Elm Park Kid

Pauno - Baffling
Bowen - Sort of made sense but Bowen should have realised he was needed in the boardroom more.
Gomes - Baffling
Stam - Blinded by the name. Regardless of how it turned out, still think it was a poor choice.

Other than Tom Ince at the club how did Paul Ince make sense being appointed when he'd been out of management for 8 years?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Jun 2023 22:07

Seems a lot of Southampton fans think he's a good coach, but bad manager. He seems to be willing to play younger players, which is probably a major factor in why we've gone with him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2023 22:23

Elm Park Kid

Pauno - Baffling
Gomes - Baffling

I would say making a player's dad, who hadn't managed for 8 years is hilarious, but not that bad.
Making Ince permanent was a poor poor call.
Bowen was an actively good call, very experienced coach already having a positive impact internally, otherwise agree.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2023 22:27

At least it puts to bed Stranded's ridiculous semantic argument that we're hiring him as head coach not manager.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Jun 2023 22:28

Elm Park Kid

Pauno - Baffling
Gomes - Baffling

The timing of Paunovic's appointment was even more baffling than the appointment itself - about one week before the season starts when Bowen had managed the team throughout pre-season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2023 22:28

Clyde1998
Elm Park Kid

Pauno - Baffling
Gomes - Baffling

The timing of Paunovic's appointment was even more baffling than the appointment itself - about one week before the season starts when Bowen had managed the team throughout pre-season.

And not been sacked.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jun 2023 22:33

I like many wanted Wilder as our manager but I was basing that on his record at Sheffield United. I know a few Boro fans and the general consensus from them was he’s a one trick pony who has been found out.

I am hoping that Selles is a success because he needs to be. I remember being really happy when Burns was made manager and pretty disappointed with Pardew’s appointment. We all know how they both turned out, so I won’t be writing off Selles just yet.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 22:53

I feel a bit sorry for Ruben Selles. I've voiced my scepticism and I'll support him while I can but I can't help but think the club has announced him to sweeten the blow of the Winding Up Order. He has almost been set up to fail with us sadly because of our incompetent board.

Someone I know at the club told me that he will face disciplinary action if he joins any protests against Dai Yongge. Absolutely shocking what's going on at the club, Selles may not be well regarded as a manager from his Southampton days but he's brave taking up our poisoned chalice of a job.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 22:56

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998
Elm Park Kid

Pauno - Baffling
Gomes - Baffling

And not been sacked.

Yes Bowen was awfully treated. Made me more surprised he came back to the club tbh. I have a lot of respect for the guy.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 26 Jun 2023 23:19

katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

I know he has a bereavement but that was several weeks ago I believe.

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

Because Pang has blocked communications from the club, hence people like Bowen are not allowed to talk

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jun 2023 23:38

At least there's somebody on board. The first team can at least function. No one of any stature is going to join the club given the predicament it's in. Could be just a rolling short term contract, that works for both parties. Given the state of the squad. I doubt even Jesus could perform a miracle and avoid relegation next season. Fulfilling fixtures is the top priority.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jun 2023 23:58

Royal_jimmy I feel a bit sorry for Ruben Selles. I've voiced my scepticism and I'll support him while I can but I can't help but think the club has announced him to sweeten the blow of the Winding Up Order. He has almost been set up to fail with us sadly because of our incompetent board.

Someone I know at the club told me that he will face disciplinary action if he joins any protests against Dai Yongge. Absolutely shocking what's going on at the club, Selles may not be well regarded as a manager from his Southampton days but he's brave taking up our poisoned chalice of a job.

You could argue it’s a win win situation for him. There’s something to be gained for him in terms of his reputation if he does OK here. Very little to be lost given the shambolic nature of how the club is operating

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2023 08:00

Snowflake Royal At least it puts to bed Stranded's ridiculous semantic argument that we're hiring him as head coach not manager.

Its not semantics but you know that but happy to say I was wrong on the role he's about to be hired for.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Jun 2023 08:07

Notts Royal
katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

I know he has a bereavement but that was several weeks ago I believe.

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

Because Pang has blocked communications from the club, hence people like Bowen are not allowed to talk

Under Dai and Pang the clubs been run as a dictatorship.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 27 Jun 2023 08:27

Royal_jimmy I can but I can't help but think the club has announced him to sweeten the blow of the Winding Up Order.

It does feel that way. I'd bet they wanted to wait until the visa paperwork was finalised, but felt that they had to put some kind of announcement out quickly. The oddly short wording of the announcement makes it look like something which wasn't planned much in advance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2023 08:31

blythspartan I like many wanted Wilder as our manager but I was basing that on his record at Sheffield United. I know a few Boro fans and the general consensus from them was he’s a one trick pony who has been found out.

I am hoping that Selles is a success because he needs to be. I remember being really happy when Burns was made manager and pretty disappointed with Pardew’s appointment. We all know how they both turned out, so I won’t be writing off Selles just yet.

I know a tedious boro fan who wanted to tell me he'd be the worst manager we could possibly hire. :roll:

305 posts