Selles confimred

305 posts
On Strings

Re: Selles confimred

by On Strings » 27 Jun 2023 10:34

Snowflake Royal Just had commiserations from the Saints fan at work.

Standard oppo fans response to an ex Manager moving on elsewhere. I've seen several posts from Saints fans saying Selles is great with the kids, very encouraging and they respond to him; that he likes to play attacking football and control possession. Not sure he'll be able to do much of that in the Third Division but it we'll see. Apparently favoured a 4-2-2-2 formation.

Let's be fair to him; he took on a tough role when the club already looked doomed. He/they did well against some top clubs, but failed miserably against the teams they needed to beat.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Jun 2023 10:36

Would he have joined us without assurances about the long term future of the club and player recruitment plans? I somehow doubt that.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Jun 2023 11:17

I wish Selles all the best as Reading manager.

A positive appointment which we must all get behind and push on towards targeting promotion back into the championship

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Jun 2023 11:29

andrew1957 Selles looks more like a super agent appointment than a Bowen appointment. Surely Noel Hunt would be a better option as it looks like we will be reliant on the U23s stepping up. To me Selles is just another ridiculous and pointless appointment.

It looks like Bowen has either been silenced or left. Otherwise the silence from him is very odd.

The owner either has no money or has decided not to waste any more on the club.

Hard to be positive.

I would rather have given Noel the job over Selles as well. Noel knows the club, the fans can back him and I don't think he'd be under any pressure to deliver results. Probably be cheaper too and our record of promoting from within is decent.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Jun 2023 11:32

SouthDownsRoyal I wish Selles all the best as Reading manager.

A positive appointment which we must all get behind and push on towards targeting promotion back into the championship

We both know that isn't going to happen anytime soon, at least until we're shot of Dai and Dayong Pang

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jun 2023 11:49

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy Maybe read what Southampton fans have to say about him. They think he isn't cut out to be a manager anywhere.

Ince and now Selles are 2 appointments I've been so underwhelmed by.

I just want Dayong Pang gone and I want the Dai's to bog off.

I would assess our recent managerial appointments as such:

Ince - Made sense at the time.
Pauno - Baffling
Bowen - Sort of made sense but Bowen should have realised he was needed in the boardroom more.
Gomes - Baffling
Clement - Understandable gamble.
Stam - Blinded by the name. Regardless of how it turned out, still think it was a poor choice.

I would say making a player's dad, who hadn't managed for 8 years is hilarious, but not that bad.
Making Ince permanent was a poor poor call.
Bowen was an actively good call, very experienced coach already having a positive impact internally, otherwise agree.

Don't forget with PInce that given the transfer embargo and threat of points deduction that we really might not have had much choice in terms of who we appointed. PInce came in and did enough to avoid a relegation battle, we shouldn't underplay the importance of his relationship with Tom, and did at least have some experience of the league and had shown in the past he could get results in certain situations.

I know that fans on here like to rewrite history, but our sole ambition at the start of last season was avoiding relegation, and PInce was seen by many as a not ideal, but sensible choice. Before the points deduction we were looking like we would easily do that. He handled that whole situation extremely poorly, but I not going to blame those in charge for not predicting it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2023 12:09

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
I would assess our recent managerial appointments as such:

Ince - Made sense at the time.
Pauno - Baffling
Bowen - Sort of made sense but Bowen should have realised he was needed in the boardroom more.
Gomes - Baffling
Clement - Understandable gamble.
Stam - Blinded by the name. Regardless of how it turned out, still think it was a poor choice.

I would say making a player's dad, who hadn't managed for 8 years is hilarious, but not that bad.
Making Ince permanent was a poor poor call.
Bowen was an actively good call, very experienced coach already having a positive impact internally, otherwise agree.

Don't forget with PInce that given the transfer embargo and threat of points deduction that we really might not have had much choice in terms of who we appointed. PInce came in and did enough to avoid a relegation battle, we shouldn't underplay the importance of his relationship with Tom, and did at least have some experience of the league and had shown in the past he could get results in certain situations.

I know that fans on here like to rewrite history, but our sole ambition at the start of last season was avoiding relegation, and PInce was seen by many as a not ideal, but sensible choice. Before the points deduction we were looking like we would easily do that. He handled that whole situation extremely poorly, but I not going to blame those in charge for not predicting it.

Hence why I said initially hilarious but not that bad. He finished the season badly and showed nothing to be given the gig perm though.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 27 Jun 2023 12:18

Hound Hunt to me seems to be a perfect u23 coach. Passionate, knows the club, really wants the academy to work. Keep him doing what he’s good at

Really do want some proper comms about the appointment. As said, if he’s Bowen’s choice then I’m fine with it

For those who just see him through the lens of the failed job at Soton, this is worth at least a skim read

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Made me feel a lot more optimistic. Could turn out to be an amazing appointment.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jun 2023 20:51

katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

I know he has a bereavement but that was several weeks ago I believe.

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

I wonder if other League one clubs have a DoF?
I still don't get what Bowen does apart from leave the women's team to fester and be a yes man for playing sh*t football.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Jun 2023 08:51

SouthDownsRoyal I wish Selles all the best as Reading manager.

100% agreed

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 28 Jun 2023 14:02

Ascotexgunner
katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

I still don't get what Bowen does apart from leave the women's team to fester and be a yes man for playing sh*t football.

he isnt DOF, he is head of football operations

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jun 2023 14:17

Brogue
Ascotexgunner

he isnt DOF, he is head of football operations

If Bowen departed. The club would be truly directionless from a football perspective. Remember how Sir John built a management team around him that he could trust.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 28 Jun 2023 22:43

Good luck to the fella. He’s probably a nice bloke with plenty of ambition. Shame he’s been handed just about the most poisoned chalice of a job any Reading manager has had in recent memory.

At least he has experience in a relegation battle?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Jun 2023 23:02

Dissatisfied and disappointing

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 28 Jun 2023 23:46

Loafer Dissatisfied and disappointing

But enough of your sex life!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jun 2023 00:47

Royal Ginger Good luck to the fella. He’s probably a nice bloke with plenty of ambition. Shame he’s been handed just about the most poisoned chalice of a job any Reading manager has had in recent memory.

From Southampton who were basically one foot in the Championship already when he joined and now our basket case of a club.

Probably couldn't have had two worse clubs to start his management career.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jun 2023 18:34

tidus_mi2
Royal Ginger Good luck to the fella. He’s probably a nice bloke with plenty of ambition. Shame he’s been handed just about the most poisoned chalice of a job any Reading manager has had in recent memory.

From Southampton who were basically one foot in the Championship already when he joined and now our basket case of a club.

Probably couldn't have had two worse clubs to start his management career.

Much as I am against this ridiculous signing I take the points above.

Carbon copy of what I felt about Ince. Against his signing but once he was in eventually got fully behing the fella and appreciated the situation he was in. I'd suggest that that was even more of a poisoned chalice - trying to keep a struggling club in the championship having lost key players and a transfer embargo and an upcoming 6 point deduction. But yes this is definitely also a horrid situation and I hope people like me remain fair in our judgement of the chap.

My initial shock has worn off and I'm getting behind him. No other choice really.

Dai can **** off though.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 02 Jul 2023 11:58

Does anyone know if Selles has brought any coaching staff with him ?
I have read nothing. Presumably we still have James Oliver-Pearce and Tony Warner ?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Jul 2023 15:58

Royals and Racers Does anyone know if Selles has brought any coaching staff with him ?
I have read nothing. Presumably we still have James Oliver-Pearce and Tony Warner ?

I don’t know.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 02 Jul 2023 17:22

Let's all give the man a chance! Taking on a job with a club facing a points deduction after just being relegated in a league 2 below your last club with a transfer embargo......He's either pretty confident he can do a job or an absolute lunatic! If he can secure Walcott as his first signing, I'm in!

305 posts