Hob Nob Super-Addict

Selles confimred

by Brogue » 26 Jun 2023 19:13

On the official site subject to visa

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles confimred

by Hound » 26 Jun 2023 19:27

God that has to be the most underwhelming couple of paragraphs appointing a manager

Obvs a not very well kept secret but glad it seems to be coming to a conclusion

Welcome on board Ruben

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 26 Jun 2023 19:29

Hound God that has to be the most underwhelming couple of paragraphs appointing a manager

Welcome on board Ruben

Just posted the same on the selles in thread. Not even a quote from Bowen ping or dai saying we are pleased we got our man. Nothing about the guys history or the recruitment process. Nothing, just matter of fact

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 19:39

Ridiculous appointment again. No experience, the clubs a mess, his system doesn't suit players like Carroll who we should be building the side around.

What's the bloody point. Another nobody managing the team and Dai taking yet another big risk.

Just hope this time I'm proven wrong for the good of the club and the mental health of every Reading fan and he gets us top 6 or more. I just don't see it though.

Just got to get behind him and hope for the best but I expect he'll be under pressure before Christmas and our scummy owner will sack him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jun 2023 20:24

Calm down to a suicide Jimmy (everybody) ffs

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2023 20:27

Brogue
Hound God that has to be the most underwhelming couple of paragraphs appointing a manager

Welcome on board Ruben

Just posted the same on the selles in thread. Not even a quote from Bowen ping or dai saying we are pleased we got our man. Nothing about the guys history or the recruitment process. Nothing, just matter of fact

Given this bunch can't even communicate when a winding up order is threatened, a new staff hire - particularly as it's seen as underwhelming by most - is hardly going to get much in the way of front page news.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 20:30

Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

I know he has a bereavement but that was several weeks ago I believe.

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2023 20:36

katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Yet he's not said anything (and I don't believe those ridiculous LinkedIn messages)

How has the club just not addressed or even commented officially to fans? It's utterly dreadful

I'd be interested to hear what the recruitment strategy is for players. Is there a budget? Selles must have been given some assurances.

Strategy will be for a load of Southampton reject youngsters I expect.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jun 2023 20:40

Sutekh
katweslowski Can anyone tell me where the actual flip Bowen is? Wasn't this the guy who was giving it large at the fan meet about how dedicated he was?

Strategy will be for a load of Southampton reject youngsters I expect.
and probably adequate for the level that we are at.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2023 20:41

Yeah fair questions. God knows what’s going on. The announcement itself was bizarre

clauski

by clauski » 26 Jun 2023 20:45

Less than 20 games first team managerial experience? TICK
Win rate below 12%? TICK
No experience of lower League English football? TICK
Negative fan reviews about team selection? TICK
Out by Christmas? TICK
I can see why this was an easy choice for the board. Hope I’m wrong though. Good luck fella.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jun 2023 20:47

Give the guy an even break…..Ian (demanding more than just a 12 month job) wasn’t available to commit again.
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 26 Jun 2023 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Jun 2023 20:49

It's hard to know what to say that's constructive really. The club is a complete shit-show at the moment so we've been forced into making a managerial appointment on the basis of who we could get rather than would we actually want. It's like going out to buy a car with £1k in your pocket and zero credit - it's not a surprise when you come back with something that been in a crash recently and has no service history. But it is what it is, maybe it gets you through a year or two without too much hassle. Maybe it turns out great and you're happy with it for age. More likely it blows up in the first 6 months. Beggars can't be choosers, let's just not kid ourselves about the situation though.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 20:50

clauski Less than 20 games first team managerial experience? TICK
Win rate below 12%? TICK
No experience of lower League English football? TICK
Negative fan reviews about team selection? TICK
Out by Christmas? TICK
I can see why this was an easy choice for the board. Hope I’m wrong though. Good luck fella.

I don't like negativity for the sake of negativity. But I think your concerns and observations are spot on

This was exactly the type of appointment I feared and it's confirmed that I won't renew my ST

I know we probably didn't have many other options but it doesn't make it any better as a manager choice

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2023 20:55

Hound

Yeah fair questions. God knows what’s going on. The announcement itself was bizarre

Agreed but expect a lot of it was down to the fact that if "Monica" doesn't get a visa then going into too much now might be a bit embarrassing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 20:56

As bad as the mess we're in is I'm sure we could have got someone better in. The club just took the sexy name and assumed as he was at Southampton he's a gem.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Jun 2023 21:05

Royal_jimmy As bad as the mess we're in is I'm sure we could have got someone better in. The club just took the sexy name and assumed as he was at Southampton he's a gem.

I don't know if it's the 'sexy name' as it is their unending faith in the recommendations they get from certain parties . . . . .

You don't appoint Gomes and Pauno if you care about how it looks.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jun 2023 21:07

Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy As bad as the mess we're in is I'm sure we could have got someone better in. The club just took the sexy name and assumed as he was at Southampton he's a gem.

I don't know if it's the 'sexy name' as it is their unending faith in the recommendations they get from certain parties . . . . .

You don't appoint Gomes and Pauno if you care about how it looks.
Jimmy does the DD thing (yet) again

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2023 21:08

Tbf he hasn’t been hired because of the manager job he did at Soton. He has been hired because he is a highly rated coach looking to step into management

Far from my first choice but we’d prob be reasonably enthusiastic if it wasn’t for his manager spell there. Reckon he’ll be ok tbh. Could be the right sort of person for where we are - wanting to play the youth and improve what we have. Can’t imagine Wilder would have been happy with anything other than significant funds

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 21:11

Maybe read what Southampton fans have to say about him. They think he isn't cut out to be a manager anywhere.

Ince and now Selles are 2 appointments I've been so underwhelmed by.

I just want Dayong Pang gone and I want the Dai's to bog off.

305 posts