Injury watch 2023/24

297 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Injury watch 2023/24

by morganb » 19 Oct 2023 17:30

Mid Sussex Royal
morganb INJURY UPDATE from https://twitter.com/JmlJourno/status/17 ... 3753539654 mentions a couple of others:

⁃ Smith “should be ready to play a part” v #CAFC
⁃ Camara/Hutch training with team, Pereira could be ready for Sat
⁃ CBC out 6-8 weeks
⁃ TMc muscle injury in training, 4-6 weeks
⁃ Mbengue “doing well but not ready”
Holmes in partial training #readingfc

Ovie fit then?

From the comments:

Todd-ED @TED247 · 1h
I love how ejaria is just forgotten now

Ji-Min Lee @JmlJourno · 1h
Not forgotten, just saves writing the same update every week!

He was spotted in a changing room video earlier in the week so is still at the club (or it could have been someone else dressed in an Ovie Ejaria kit a bit like those clips where Bigfoot is just a man in a gorilla suit)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2023 18:02

morganb INJURY UPDATE from https://twitter.com/JmlJourno/status/17 ... 3753539654 mentions a couple of others:

⁃ CBC out 6-8 weeks

What do these clowns do in training!?

Selles has managed to one up previous shit regimes by causing injuries in pre-match warm ups now.

It's ridiculous.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Oct 2023 18:14

Snowflake Royal

⁃ CBC out 6-8 weeks

Selles has managed to one up previous shit regimes by causing injuries in pre-match warm ups now.

It's ridiculous.

You obviously don't watch much football, several players in the premier league have been injured in pre game warm ups.

Smith, Camara, Mbengue and Holmes all injured in games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2023 18:26

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal

It's ridiculous.

You obviously don't watch much football, several players in the premier league have been injured in pre game warm ups.

No I don't watch any Premier League. But I've watched Reading for approaching 30 years and injuries in pre-match warm ups are exceptionally rare.

To have two in a couple of weeks in CBC and Hutchinson plus repeated injuries in training, including a muscle injury for a player returning from concussion, is not a compelling sign that our coaches are managing fitness properly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2023 18:48

What did CBC do in the warm up to get so badly injured? The odd minor muscle injury I can accept happen now and again in a warm up

Is all very frustrating though we’ve plenty of numbers to cover. Smith needs to stay fit

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 19 Oct 2023 20:11

Hound What did CBC do in the warm up to get so badly injured? The odd minor muscle injury I can accept happen now and again in a warm up

Is all very frustrating though we’ve plenty of numbers to cover. Smith needs to stay fit

CBC turned his ankle and had to be helped off by 2 of the staff. If you have ever watched the goalkeeping warm ups they are very vigorous and the keepers are diving all over the place.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 20 Oct 2023 07:46

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal What do these clowns do in training!?

It's ridiculous.

No I don't watch any Premier League. But I've watched Reading for approaching 30 years and injuries in pre-match warm ups are exceptionally rare.

To have two in a couple of weeks in CBC and Hutchinson plus repeated injuries in training, including a muscle injury for a player returning from concussion, is not a compelling sign that our coaches are managing fitness properly.

Maybe it's a sign that we should get a proper sports scientist in to head that department rather than a guy who is only in the job because his father is "Head of Football Operations."

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Oct 2023 08:42

Is our injury situation (this season over the recent ones in the Championship) really that much different to other clubs? Going off the report above, we have 3 players injured plus Ejaria who seems to be nowhere at the moment, with a few others just coming back to fitness. That to me doesn't sound like something that is too out of the ordinary and it certainly isn't close to having half of our squad out like the last couple of seasons.

Players do pick up injuries in training, it happens. Not something to be going over the top about.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2023 08:44

YorkshireRoyal99 Is our injury situation (this season over the recent ones in the Championship) really that much different to other clubs? Going off the report above, we have 3 players injured plus Ejaria who seems to be nowhere at the moment, with a few others just coming back to fitness. That to me doesn't sound like something that is too out of the ordinary and it certainly isn't close to having half of our squad out like the last couple of seasons.

Players do pick up injuries in training, it happens. Not something to be going over the top about.

Yeah going to agree with you on that part

Still immensely annoying that we seem to be miles out on recovery times - but I guess this isn’t unheard of either

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2023 08:44

Royals and Racers
Hound What did CBC do in the warm up to get so badly injured? The odd minor muscle injury I can accept happen now and again in a warm up

CBC turned his ankle and had to be helped off by 2 of the staff. If you have ever watched the goalkeeping warm ups they are very vigorous and the keepers are diving all over the place.

Thanks, yes I suspect the warm ups are far more taxing than the game for keepers tbh

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Oct 2023 08:55

YorkshireRoyal99

You must be new here.

Delboy

by Delboy » 20 Oct 2023 09:42

What about the forgotten ,an Ejaria, my son spoke to him at the open day and he was a few days away from returning ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2023 09:44

Who knows? Appears to be training with the first team but no more than that

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Oct 2023 09:44

An Ejaria

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2023 09:47

Delboy What about the forgotten ,an Ejaria, my son spoke to him at the open day and he was a few days away from returning ?

He lied

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Oct 2023 10:06

Hound Who knows? Appears to be training with the first team but no more than that

One of the press guys was asked on Twitter and he replied no one bothered asking about his fitness any more.

The fact that loads of fans have been asking what's going on, and he's likely to be our highest paid player by a distance now, and he hasn't played for a year, suggests they should be asking.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Oct 2023 10:08

In a number of posts you have talked up Smith as being important for us when, eventually , he gets to play.
I do hope you are right because if he does ok it could mean the difference between staying up and relegation.

Unfortunately I can't get out of my head how unimpressive he was when here before and my Oxford United supporting nephew feels the same about his time there.
Obviously he is now a bit older, more experienced and scored a few at Cambridge so there is a chance that he could do the same for us at this same mediocre level.

Assuming Selles sticks with the 2 up and that Kelvin is first choice I guess Smith will play ahead of Ballard although usually if you take a loan player from a higher division club it is expected that he will play.
It does however give us another option in a side that neither creates nor scores many goals in league football and right now we could do with as many options as possible.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Oct 2023 11:55

South Coast Royal Assuming Selles sticks with the 2 up and that Kelvin is first choice I guess Smith will play ahead of Ballard although usually if you take a loan player from a higher division club it is expected that he will play.
It does however give us another option in a side that neither creates nor scores many goals in league football and right now we could do with as many options as possible.

I do think that, whilst we don't always create masses amount of chances per game, having a striker with that instinct in the box might give us that edge and that little bit we are missing in some games. Take the Cambridge game away from home for example, had a couple of really good chances in the area where you'd think an instinctive number 9 would bury those chances and Smith has a pretty decent record at doing that at this level.

I am hoping that he does give us a more ruthless edge up front and that we can build the confidence back into the side. We do not score enough goals (in the league anyway) and it is a massive issue, especially when I think all of our defeats this season have been by the odd goal? It's usually tight in games and we get pipped late on in a few as well, so a CF who can actually bury a couple of chances, or even half chances, would be useful.

I think another big problem going forward is we don't seem to have a player who can either take the game by the scruff of the neck or create something from nothing. The players, for me, that seem like they could do this are Kelvin E and maybe Vickers. My only reservation with Smith is that I feel like he will score goals but he needs the service to do so, he won't be able to manufacture something himself, which sometimes you need in games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2023 12:35

Mid Sussex Royal
Hound Who knows? Appears to be training with the first team but no more than that

One of the press guys was asked on Twitter and he replied no one bothered asking about his fitness any more.

The fact that loads of fans have been asking what's going on, and he's likely to be our highest paid player by a distance now, and he hasn't played for a year, suggests they should be asking.

Why do you think anyone is going to say anything that hasn't been said for the last year.

You only have to read between the lines. He's not wanted. His decision not to get vaccinated has oxf*rd his chance of getting and maintaining fitness.

He'll disappear into obscurity as soon as his contract is up.

The club would rather that than go through the legal battle and toxicity of trying to cancel his contract.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2023 12:42

South Coast Royal

In a number of posts you have talked up Smith as being important for us when, eventually , he gets to play.
I do hope you are right because if he does ok it could mean the difference between staying up and relegation.

Unfortunately I can't get out of my head how unimpressive he was when here before and my Oxford United supporting nephew feels the same about his time there.
Obviously he is now a bit older, more experienced and scored a few at Cambridge so there is a chance that he could do the same for us at this same mediocre level.

Assuming Selles sticks with the 2 up and that Kelvin is first choice I guess Smith will play ahead of Ballard although usually if you take a loan player from a higher division club it is expected that he will play.

Smith is obviously first choice if fit.

He's played off a big strong lump in the past, but doesn't need one anymore. So he may combine well with Kelvin's size and strength (and skill).

Also, whilst we're towards the bottom of the league for total shots and goals, we're top half for shots on target and number of key passes. So a good finisher is likely to up our shots and goals to bring them more in line.

297 posts