Readings most underrated and overrated players are....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Readings most underrated and overrated players are....

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2023 09:44

Hendo
Royalcop Not sure Upson was underrated, remember Pardew saying at the end of his loan that he would go on and get England caps, certainly one of the most dominant CBs I’ve ever seen play for us.

Yeah, agree.

He routinely gets voted as one of our best ever loan players, even though he was only here for 3 months.

He comes from the days where half and season long loans for players were rare though so won't be unusual for Reading to have a rack of highly rated loans that were here for just a couple of months or so (e.g. David Lee, Jim Leighton and Steve Morrow).

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Jun 2023 09:48

Sutekh
Hendo
Royalcop Not sure Upson was underrated, remember Pardew saying at the end of his loan that he would go on and get England caps, certainly one of the most dominant CBs I’ve ever seen play for us.

Yeah, agree.

He routinely gets voted as one of our best ever loan players, even though he was only here for 3 months.

He comes from the days where half and season long loans for players were rare though so won't be unusual for Reading to have a rack of highly rated loans that were here for just a couple of months or so (e.g. David Lee, Jim Leighton and Steve Morrow).

Steve blatherwick, who is my all-time favourite reading player

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jun 2023 13:23

Elm Park Kid
'Good enough for the Championship' is quite a wide category though. Do we mean good enough to playing in a promotion chasing side, or good enough for a team that can hang on in the league? There's a big difference between the quality of players at Leeds and Rotherham. Other than Richards, none of the players you listed were good enough for the former.

Karacan literally played 48 games in a team that got to the playoff final and 37 in a team that won promotion, so self-evidently he was good enough for a promotion-chasing team.

McIntyre and especially Holmes were also regulars in a team that finished 7th.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2023 18:45

The Green Programme Overrated - George Puskas
Underrated - Trevor Senior

Who rated Puscas?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Jun 2023 18:50

Who underrated Trev ?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 01 Jul 2023 20:38

Overrated: Michael Meaker
Underrated: Simon Osborn

To think that we got Meaker in a part-ex deal for Osborn. Laughable. The reason Osborn is underrated is that a lot of Reading fans today did not see him play - and those that did only saw him for one season. A wonderfully talented midfielder - and a scorer of great goals. My first choice in an all-time Reading XI.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2023 20:51

….and again…..nobody I know underrated Simon Osborn…..far from it in all honesty

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Jul 2023 22:51

AthleticoSpizz ….and again…..nobody I know underrated Simon Osborn…..far from it in all honesty

Osborn and Bowman are two Reading legends for me. A player I also rated was Paul Holsgrove.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 01 Jul 2023 22:59

RG30 Marek Matejovsky easily the most overrated of all time.

The guy was well infront of anything we had at the time. Serious serious player who saw passes we should be making. The movement and vision of the guy was the best I had seen for a while when he arrived

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2023 23:03

mikey0406
RG30 Marek Matejovsky easily the most overrated of all time.

The guy was well infront of anything we had at the time. Serious serious player who saw passes we should be making. The movement and vision of the guy was the best I had seen for a while when he arrived
problem was….he was next years player, the rest of the team were last years….looked totally clueless, couldn’t adapt and just gave up in the games that I recall…..a much revered let-down

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 Jul 2023 00:14

Overrated - Christ Armstrong
Underrated - Zurab khizanishvili one of the best CB’s the club has ever had

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 02 Jul 2023 00:34

Would say near enough every record signing at the time flattered to deceive - Hurlock, Moran, Nogan (post 94/95), Caskey, Butler (slightly unfair but mediocre at best post 00/01), Lita, Seol, Halford, Fae, Pog, Aluko, Puscas...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jul 2023 07:10

Slightly unfair on a few of those.

Casket did flatter to deceive but for the first couple of seasons after the move, he was pretty much the only player worth paying to see.

Butler has a really nasty knee injury and Seol was brilliant, he just never settled.

Wouldn't say Aluko was over rated either, every one I know thought he was an utter waste of money from the get go.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jul 2023 13:49

9165 Blackett - Overrated, just because he came through at Man Utd does not make you a good footballer. I must say though he was mostly played at LB when he was really a central defender.
Guthrie - Same as above, Liverpool instead of Man U

Underrated - HRK, McCarthy, Pearce, Obita (yes, all academy products but still not appreciated enough IMO)

IIRC most thought Blackett was shit unless he was left sided centre back of a. 3.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 03 Jul 2023 10:15

Caskey was pretty good. His first season was a bit slow, but IIRC he scored loads of goals in the season after that. Probably the best free kick taker the club had until Harte came along.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jul 2023 10:34

CountryRoyal
9165 Blackett - Overrated, just because he came through at Man Utd does not make you a good footballer. I must say though he was mostly played at LB when he was really a central defender.
Guthrie - Same as above, Liverpool instead of Man U

Underrated - HRK, McCarthy, Pearce, Obita (yes, all academy products but still not appreciated enough IMO)

IIRC most thought Blackett was shit unless he was left sided centre back of a. 3.

Very much a confidence player. Very casual and too complacent at times but the little flicks and tricks worked well at his best, whilst sorely backfiring at his worst

Linked up very well with Ejaria for that reason as they were both able to keep the ball in tight situations - an integral link up which gave us the four successive wins over Christmas under Bowen. Lost one game and Bowen never tried them again together (until a 5-0 win over Luton in lockdown). Odd management

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Jul 2023 10:38

Over-rated:-
Blackett
Gunter
Puscas
Morley
Meaker
Leworthy

Under-rated:-
McCarthy
Norwood

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 03 Jul 2023 11:39

Jay Tabb was overrated - lovely bloke and a good engine but severely limited footballing ability, mad that he was a Premier League player

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jul 2023 11:55

South Coast Royal Over-rated:-
Blackett
Gunter
Puscas
Morley
Meaker
Leworthy

Under-rated:-
McCarthy
Norwood

I don't think Gunter was overrated, I think he was just at the club for 12 months longer than he should have been and obviously his wages didn't help matters either.

Blackett I'd say was just poor. In my opinion, he's the worst LB we've had since our relegation from the Premier League. Had a good spell during a purple patch over Christmas time in Bowen's reign, but was largely poor at the most other things.

Norwood underrated is a shout.

Tinpot Royal

by Tinpot Royal » 03 Jul 2023 12:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Blackett I'd say was just poor. In my opinion, he's the worst LB we've had since our relegation from the Premier League. Had a good spell during a purple patch over Christmas time in Bowen's reign, but was largely poor at the most other things.

Worse than Baba last season? No chance