Sam Smith confimred

by Brogue » 17 Jul 2023 12:27

Welcome back Sam.

looking forward to the local media struggling with the pronouns

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sam Smith confimred

by NathStPaul » 17 Jul 2023 12:30

Very much against players returning in principle but this is a move that makes total sense. I liked the look of him in League 1 and I think he will do a decent job for us next season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jul 2023 12:31

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2023 12:32

NathStPaul Very much against players returning in principle but this is a move that makes total sense. I liked the look of him in League 1 and I think he will do a decent job for us next season.

Would tend to agree on players coming back, but yeah this seems a bit of a no-brainer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2023 12:37

On paper an excellent signing. Perfect age, should have the hunger etc to do well

Good sign that we are able to persuade in demand players to join as well

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jul 2023 12:37

Hendo
NathStPaul Very much against players returning in principle but this is a move that makes total sense. I liked the look of him in League 1 and I think he will do a decent job for us next season.

Would tend to agree on players coming back, but yeah this seems a bit of a no-brainer.

This isn't a nostalgia trip bringing in a former legend in their mid 30s. It's bringing back a young player who has developed away from the club and should be coming into his prime.

In terms of returning players, how old was Adie Williams pt. 2? That was a big success. Struggling to think of others...

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jul 2023 12:42

Hound On paper an excellent signing. Perfect age, should have the hunger etc to do well

It is certainly a very positive sign, could see a real influx of new signings this week I reckon.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Jul 2023 12:44

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

This isn't a nostalgia trip bringing in a former legend in their mid 30s. It's bringing back a young player who has developed away from the club and should be coming into his prime.

In terms of returning players, how old was Adie Williams pt. 2? That was a big success. Struggling to think of others...

Glen Little? First spell was on loan though

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 Jul 2023 12:45

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

Super Trev!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jul 2023 12:48

NathStPaul
Hound On paper an excellent signing. Perfect age, should have the hunger etc to do well

It is certainly a very positive sign, could see a real influx of new signings this week I reckon.

Despite the chaos, we're a big fish in L1. I bet a tour of the training ground blows the players away - only really Derby can compete with our facilities and infrastructure. Compare that to the Championship, where there are a lot of ex-PL clubs and we're a middling size. Fishing at the bottom of the pool last year, but not at this level.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Jul 2023 12:51

Some quotes from Cambridge forum.

Yep would've loved to have kept Smith, he's aggressive, high energy style of play won't be easily replaced.
Add to that he's rarely injured, and the fact hes a v capable goalscorer, great shame we couldnt keep him.

mith is an arse but he was an excellent centre forward for us and scored some great goals. That goal v Forest Green was phenomenal but he scored two other brilliant volleys too (Cheltenham and Burton I think). I’d have kept him. Natural goal scorer who just needed some service.

On Smith, I would have thought that he would have had plenty of offers this summer so it's a bit odd that he's maybe going to end up at the club that released him 2 years ago. I am aware that Reading were a Championship side then and a different manager but its not where I expected him to turn up potentially.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Jul 2023 12:53

Do we have to call him "they" in deference to his namesake? I wouldn't want to offend anybody.

Good signing IMO.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jul 2023 12:53

:roll:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Jul 2023 13:18

personally didn't feel he embarrassed himself when he played a few games for us in the Champ.

need Omar Richards to take a season long loan deal now!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2023 13:30

Can't see he's particularly impressed me to stand out.

But he does have a knack of scoring a few goals. Not big numbers, but decent. And he'll come with an understanding of Knibbs. Which is a pretty big positive.

Yeah. Ok signing. Pretty obvious call to make. Before the latest round of catastrophe I'd have hoped to be looking a bit higher, but this is probably about the top we can do.

He should also combine fairly well with Carroll.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Jul 2023 13:31

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul

Despite the chaos, we're a big fish in L1. I bet a tour of the training ground blows the players away - only really Derby can compete with our facilities and infrastructure. Compare that to the Championship, where there are a lot of ex-PL clubs and we're a middling size. Fishing at the bottom of the pool last year, but not at this level.

We were only really fishing at the bottom of the pool last season due to our situation as well. Ordinarily, we'd be well in with most clubs outside of those with parachute payments you'd imagine.

We should be one of the better sells in this league, we've certainly been one of the more successful clubs at higher levels than most in this league.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2023 13:36

Plays with energy so should fit the supposed pressing game that Selles prefers

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Jul 2023 13:39

andrew1957 Do we have to call him "they" in deference to his namesake? I wouldn't want to offend anybody.

Good signing IMO.

Typical comments from a covid conspiracy theorist

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jul 2023 13:42

Snowflake Royal Can't see he's particularly impressed me to stand out.

But he does have a knack of scoring a few goals. Not big numbers, but decent. And he'll come with an understanding of Knibbs. Which is a pretty big positive.

Yeah. Ok signing. Pretty obvious call to make. Before the latest round of catastrophe I'd have hoped to be looking a bit higher, but this is probably about the top we can do.

He should also combine fairly well with Carroll.

Who better would you have been looking at, out of interest? I saw some fans hilariously suggesting Johnson Clarke-Harris from Peterborough, as if his eventual team who be another L1 side. Alfie May could have possibly been available had we been in a better position.

This is a relatively young player with 35 goals in 2 seasons (in a struggling team) available on a free. A good bit of business however you look at it. Also seems like he and Knibbs both come from a high pressing, good footballing team. So a good fit for our manager.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Jul 2023 13:47

Even if he does shit he will have resale value. We should be looking to sign 100 free transfers this season and offload 80 in January/next summer all for profit. Do this every year. Next year we can buy them instead of the freebies buy 15 players for 100k each, and sell them for 200k each. 1.5 mill in the coffers each year. Then start buying 200k players and sell them for 400k and 500k players sell them for a mill. so on and so on.

This is how I’d run a football club anyway
Last edited by Brogue on 17 Jul 2023 13:49, edited 2 times in total.