MATCHWATCH : Southampton (h)

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Southampton (h)

by paddy20 » 22 Jul 2023 18:33

Sutekh Really need to work on the defence and get some organisation and consistency. Can't do it until they sort the goalkeeper out, Button should be a step up on what we currently have so hope that deal works out asap.

Bournemouth mate said he was terrible there

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jul 2023 18:40

paddy20
Sutekh Really need to work on the defence and get some organisation and consistency. Can't do it until they sort the goalkeeper out, Button should be a step up on what we currently have so hope that deal works out asap.

Bournemouth mate said he was terrible there

You mean the 4 appearances he made 14 years ago?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Jul 2023 18:42

RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL
RoyalBlue It's going to be an expensive shirt personalisation if we sign the trialist! Full name: Olamide Oluwatimilehin Babatunde Oluwaka Shodipo

That has to be a cut and paste.

:lol: :lol:

Give us a ‘o’ chant would be fun

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2023 18:48

blythspartan
LightwaterRoyal Really enjoying Matty Carson's tenacity. Hope we see more of him this season

+1 He looks a real good player to me, dare I say possibly better than NGW.
That was a decent 2-4 loss considering we were playing a very strong Southampton team.

Was that the left back? If so, quality. Paultheroyal approval. Never shirked a challenge, strong, fight, lots of energy.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2023 18:52

Hound Would think bringing Wing, Savage, Mbengue, Dean and a GK (if not Jokull) would go a long way to helping matters

Add AC as well and it’s a different story

Then just add one more in CM and a winger (couldn’t really judge Shodipo) and we’ll be good.

Carson, Senga, Craig, Ehib, Abbey, Dorsett, Abrefa, Camara all look fine for back up.

Hutchinson, Yuadom and a rejuvenated ejaria (because he won’t be going anywhere) plus more new signings… that team starting today will be very different

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2023 18:57

Ejaria out til sept with the knee injury, so yes won’t be going anywhere

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2023 19:56

CountryRoyal My stream cut out; what was the second goal like?

Hilarious.

Shadipo (?) broke in behind, held off his defender and then passed a fairly tame shot across their goalie, who proceeded to dive and palm it in his own net back behind him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2023 20:00

Hound Would think bringing Wing, Savage, Mbengue, Dean and a GK (if not Jokull) would go a long way to helping matters

Then just add one more in CM and a winger (couldn’t really judge Shodipo) and we’ll be good.

Carson, Senga, Craig, Ehib, Abbey, Dorsett, Abrefa, Camara all look fine for back up.

Yeah, we defended not very well, but I didn't see much protection from midfield. Saints played through them, and not enough tracking. Given our midfield was a 19 year old with promise and a trialist I don't expect us to sign, I think we will look better when we have a senior midfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2023 20:01

Snowflake Royal

Hilarious.

Shadipo (?) broke in behind, held off his defender and then passed a fairly tame shot across their goalie, who proceeded to dive and palm it in his own net back behind him.

Defending for that goal was horrific

Shodipo showed some good pace though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2023 20:03

Snowflake Royal

Yeah, we defended not very well, but I didn't see much protection from midfield. Saints played through them, and not enough tracking. Given our midfield was a 19 year old with promise and a trialist I don't expect us to sign, I think we will look better when we have a senior midfield.

Yep tbf the trialist lad might be ok to go into our u23s. Same with Binden, but wouldn’t want them first team at this stage

You’d expect Wing, Savage and sounds potentially like Amos still to make a big difference

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2023 20:03

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Hilarious.

Defending for that goal was horrific

Shodipo showed some good pace though

On the back of that performance, it would be a no for me. Some good pace, but broke forward twice that I saw. First time heavy touch and shit ball across into a crowd, second time scored, but with a poor shot the keeper should be embarrassed to have conceded to.

Maybe one for the future, but not the immediate first team plans.

Only one game, and there's something there though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jul 2023 20:42

Shodipo has an excellent record in L1.

80 apps, 13 goals, 4 assists. Goal every 337 mins. Definitely worth a go I think, if he fits the system.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Jul 2023 21:24

Stranded Shodipo has an excellent record in L1.

80 apps, 13 goals, 4 assists. Goal every 337 mins. Definitely worth a go I think, if he fits the system.

This

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2023 21:40

Royal_jimmy
Stranded Shodipo has an excellent record in L1.

This

He’s probably worth a go. Obvs free, has some good experience and a bit of pace

Difficult to really judge on today as Martin’s side stifle the life out of any game and he barely got a touch, but on paper a solid signing

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Jul 2023 00:52

I’ve never seen a meaningful preseason friendly. For a start we are playing catch up we have a new manager new players coming all the time, so I really would not be too bothered about this game. I remember in the early 80s we played West Bromwich Albion at Elm Park it was when Ron Atkinson was manager of Albion they had Bryan Robson, Laurie Cunningham, Cyril Regis and Brendan Batson. Who won the game 4-2 and played superbly West Brom went on to finish in the top five of the first division and we were relegated to division four.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 Jul 2023 03:45

paultheroyal

Hutchinson, Yuadom and a rejuvenated ejaria (because he won’t be going anywhere) plus more new signings… that team starting today will be very different

Yeah. The central midfield is probably the most important area of the pitch and the three players I expect to be our main three central midfielders this season weren't in the squad today (of our current squad). No Mbengue either, no doubt a few more signings before the season starts and hopefully injured players returning means we should be stronger by the time we reach the Peterborough match. We may have a stronger squad against QPR on Tuesday.

If that was our full squad for the season, I'd think we'd struggle to finish higher than 15th at best this season. Whereas with all our players available (Yiadom, Mbengue, Hutch, Wing, Savage, Ejaria and Carroll all spring to mind as missing players - almost all would be straight into the starting XI), we're probably top six in terms of strongest squads in the division. That's without considering additional signings.

It seems a lot of the younger players did quite well, while Smith and Knibbs appear to have played well. Seems like a good experience for the players and no-one should read too much into anything.

under the tin

by under the tin » 23 Jul 2023 09:15

We've been conceding too easily for years now.
Bowen could do a lot worse than bring in someone like Wally Downes for a few months purely to work on the defence.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Jul 2023 09:57

You have to wonder what preseason games are all about if we're not going to play our first team. They need to get match fitness, work out how to play together, and try out the new manager tactics.

People say the results don't matter and it's all about fitness. Well it seems it's not even about that if they don't play.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Jul 2023 10:19

Hound wrote:-
Soton full of quality players but playing Martins awful boreball (pass, pass,pass, lose it, dive, foul) which we worked out fairly well after the first 15. Actually a bit embarrassing to concede the goals they did, and Azeez should have made it 3. Rubbish at the back but obvs sone quality further forward.

"Rubbish at the back"-That's why they are now a Championship side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2023 10:23

South Coast Royal Hound wrote:-
Soton full of quality players but playing Martins awful boreball (pass, pass,pass, lose it, dive, foul) which we worked out fairly well after the first 15. Actually a bit embarrassing to concede the goals they did, and Azeez should have made it 3. Rubbish at the back but obvs sone quality further forward.

"Rubbish at the back"-That's why they are now a Championship side.

Yep and will stay that way unless they sort it

The chap who lost the ball on the first goal is the one they are asking £50m for isn’t it? Nuts