MATCHWATCH : QPR

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : QPR

by Hound » 25 Jul 2023 15:14

Difficult to know what to think of that game.

Abbey was by far our best CB. Craig probably our best overall. Carson and Dorsett looked good at times but made mistakes

Don’t want to get on some campaign but Holmes/McIntyre just don’t look very good. Problem is it’s late in preseason now to chop and change.

Knibbs was lively. Azeez missed another good chance. Smith faded. Ehibhatiomhan worked hard but cocked up a number of times

Rushesha was good as was Senga. So where we looked best with the youth players in the positions we are desperately trying to fill

Jokull is better than Bouzanis

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jul 2023 15:18

We looked decent in the bits that I saw.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Jul 2023 15:36

Hound Difficult to know what to think of that game.

Abbey was by far our best CB. Craig probably our best overall. Carson and Dorsett looked good at times but made mistakes

Don’t want to get on some campaign but Holmes/McIntyre just don’t look very good. Problem is it’s late in preseason now to chop and change.

Knibbs was lively. Azeez missed another good chance. Smith faded. Ehibhatiomhan worked hard but cocked up a number of times

Rushesha was good as was Senga. So where we looked best with the youth players in the positions we are desperately trying to fill

Jokull is better than Bouzanis

I think mistakes are to be expected with young players, especially defenders. Hopefully they'll learn from them and become better players as a result.

I don't think Holmes and McIntyre should be playing at centre-back together. I'd have Holmes at CB, with McIntyre being played as a defensive midfielder at this stage. Someone like Dean would be a good central defensive player to bring in; it's possible him and Mbengue could be the two preferred centre-backs this season - with Holmes and McIntyre being the back ups in that position.

Azeez has missed a number of good goalscoring chances recently. Still worth remembering he's only played the equivalent of 14.6 full matches at professional level despite being around the first team squad for a number of seasons now, so it's not surprising he still has some issues to resolve in his game. As long as he keeps getting those opportunities, you'd hope he'll start putting them away.

I think Andresson should be the starting keeper against Peterborough, as you say. I've been more impressed with him than Bouzanis - who I'm happy to remain our cup keeper.

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Jul 2023 15:37

Hound 0-2. Borgnis error at RB, another free cross and Holmes/TMc deciding they couldn’t be arsed to mark so free header in the area.

Actually a bit disappointed by the last 15-20. Couple of half chances but weren’t as good as the previous hour or so

Sums up pre-season really - look half decent without creating an awful lot, individual errors being punished. Still time to bring players in to remedy that and some players have only just arrived and need to bed in.

Selles needs time to sort out the defensive mess, won't happen overnight.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jul 2023 15:45

I think I’ve been very encouraged generally by the younger players. Jokull, Savage, Craig, Abbey, Abrefa, Carson, Vickers, Senga - even Akande and Borgnis have all shown some good stuff

Knibbs looks an excellent signing as does Smith

Azeez and Ehibhatiomhan haven’t had the best of games but physically look up to it

We were a misplaced pass, or a miscontrol away from creating some good opportunities- wasn’t like last year when you had no idea how we’d ever score

Need to sort that defence - agree I’d happily see Dean/Mbengue atm. And prob Carson at LB

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Jul 2023 16:04

encouraged by some of the comments on here, but when did we last win (or draw........or score a goal)?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2023 16:07

LUX encouraged by some of the comments on here, but when did we last win (or draw........or score a goal)?

5 months today since the last win.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Jul 2023 16:29

I was mostly encouraged by it tbh, though there were a couple of areas for concern.

Let's start with the good:

- I liked the way we were setup, which was particularly evident in the 2nd 30 minute segment, where at times we played some excellent stuff, with the two CMs getting plenty of touches and spraying the ball to all corners of the pitch. There seems to be a good mix of playing the ball around the back to keep possession and work an opening, which also not being afraid to go direct if there's an opportunity to counter. It was encouraging to see some distinct patters in our play, given that Selles has not had long to work with them.

- What was essentially the u23 team for the first 60 mins matched an experienced QPR team throughout their time on the pitch, and really it was only experience/physicality which led to the first goal. We looked the much better 'footballing' team, and there were plenty to take out of it if we're looking for people to step up this season. My picks were Abbey (CB, quick, good on the ball), Craig (CM, looks to have strengthened up plenty since last season, very composed in the middle and kept things ticking over), and Vickers (ST, skillful, played some nice passes, for an 18yo looked to have plenty of time on the ball, didn't get pushed around by experienced defenders).

- Smith, Knibbs, and Savage all looked like good recruits. Savage definitely has more than a touch of the James Harper's about him. Keeps the ball moving nicely and is another who looks to have lots of time on the ball. Probably needs to strengthen up some more though, and you'd want to have someone next to him who is strong defensively.

And the bad...

- Worryingly we actually looked to drop off when more of the 'senior' players came onto the pitch. Holmes and McIntyre are both too slow to play together, especially in a high-press system. I wouldn't have McIntyre anywhere near midfield either FWIW. I'm also not entirely sold on Azeez yet, just doesn't seem to have the footballing brain to think quick enough to impact the final third.

Overall I don't think we're a million miles off, and we seem in far better shape than we were under Ince as there actually seems to be a plan and structure in place on the pitch. Just need to recruit wisely over the next few weeks (assuming we're able to..) and we'll be okay.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jul 2023 17:10

LUX encouraged by some of the comments on here, but when did we last win (or draw........or score a goal)?

Saturday

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Jul 2023 17:39

winchester_royal I was mostly encouraged by it tbh, though there were a couple of areas for concern.

Let's start with the good:

- I liked the way we were setup, which was particularly evident in the 2nd 30 minute segment, where at times we played some excellent stuff, with the two CMs getting plenty of touches and spraying the ball to all corners of the pitch. There seems to be a good mix of playing the ball around the back to keep possession and work an opening, which also not being afraid to go direct if there's an opportunity to counter. It was encouraging to see some distinct patters in our play, given that Selles has not had long to work with them.

- What was essentially the u23 team for the first 60 mins matched an experienced QPR team throughout their time on the pitch, and really it was only experience/physicality which led to the first goal. We looked the much better 'footballing' team, and there were plenty to take out of it if we're looking for people to step up this season. My picks were Abbey (CB, quick, good on the ball), Craig (CM, looks to have strengthened up plenty since last season, very composed in the middle and kept things ticking over), and Vickers (ST, skillful, played some nice passes, for an 18yo looked to have plenty of time on the ball, didn't get pushed around by experienced defenders).

- Smith, Knibbs, and Savage all looked like good recruits. Savage definitely has more than a touch of the James Harper's about him. Keeps the ball moving nicely and is another who looks to have lots of time on the ball. Probably needs to strengthen up some more though, and you'd want to have someone next to him who is strong defensively.

And the bad...

- Worryingly we actually looked to drop off when more of the 'senior' players came onto the pitch. Holmes and McIntyre are both too slow to play together, especially in a high-press system. I wouldn't have McIntyre anywhere near midfield either FWIW. I'm also not entirely sold on Azeez yet, just doesn't seem to have the footballing brain to think quick enough to impact the final third.

Overall I don't think we're a million miles off, and we seem in far better shape than we were under Ince as there actually seems to be a plan and structure in place on the pitch. Just need to recruit wisely over the next few weeks (assuming we're able to..) and we'll be okay.

Good write-up, thanks. Interested to know what you think we're not a million miles off; a push for the play-offs, top 10, comfortably mid-table, etc?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jul 2023 17:47

Guess we should remember missing some impt players who will hopefully slot in quickly - Carroll, Yiadom, Wing, Hutch possibly. Dean and Mbengue possibly as well

Half a team there to come in if fit and signed up

I’d still expect us to be top 7. Some of the play was excellent. The middle third genuinely wasn’t a lot different from us vs Soton on Saturday but in our favour. Totally controlled it

Concern was we conceded 2 to a team who barely threatened. And could have conceded another had it not been for Jokull

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Jul 2023 18:08

Esteban Good write-up, thanks. Interested to know what you think we're not a million miles off; a push for the play-offs, top 10, comfortably mid-table, etc?

Tough to say as obviously it's difficult for us to have a barometer on exactly how strong League One would be, but I thought we matched a lower-mid table Championship team despite having a number of first team players absent, and we definitely looked better than anything that was being produced in the final 3 months of last season.

Top 10 feels realistic.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Jul 2023 18:14

winchester_royal
Esteban Good write-up, thanks. Interested to know what you think we're not a million miles off; a push for the play-offs, top 10, comfortably mid-table, etc?

Tough to say as obviously it's difficult for us to have a barometer on exactly how strong League One would be, but I thought we matched a lower-mid table Championship team despite having a number of first team players absent, and we definitely looked better than anything that was being produced in the final 3 months of last season.

Top 10 feels realistic.

So we're definitely going up? Got it!!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Jul 2023 18:14

I managed to watch most of the game on my phone. I thought we looked bright for the first 60 minutes and we controlled the second 30 minute period. As mentioned above we looked worse when our more experienced players came on.

Overall there was a fair bit to be positive about and I really like Craig. I am not convinced about Azeez at the moment as his decision making is poor.

My expectations go up and down but I’ll reserve judgement until we have played at least 10 games in League One. I just hope that we don’t have another embargo incoming as that could oxf*rd us up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2023 19:03

blythspartan I managed to watch most of the game on my phone. I thought we looked bright for the first 60 minutes and we controlled the second 30 minute period. As mentioned above we looked worse when our more experienced players came on.

Overall there was a fair bit to be positive about and I really like Craig. I am not convinced about Azeez at the moment as his decision making is poor.

My expectations go up and down but I’ll reserve judgement until we have played at least 10 games in League One. I just hope that we don’t have another embargo incoming as that could oxf*rd us up.

Would agree. Think Azeez is not quite good enough to be as selfish as he is but his pace and power causes problems which would be useful to the rest of the team esp. as we sadly don't have anyone else as quick. Craig and Carson have looked really useful and if they can devlop as quickly as they seem to have already there could be a lot of money there if nothing else. I really like Ehib too but he doesn't seem to get involved enough and needs to work on that to really make a mark. Lastly I really like what I've seen of Camara and if he'd got more game time last season it may have helped Reading's outlook immensely but Ince seemed to have a downer on anyone under about 25.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Jul 2023 19:15

I watched on my second screen at work, I thought we did alright for the first half. I have little worry about a good 5-6 of them stepping in to do a job if required this season, hopefully some will show that ability to play above league one level.

But it is another defeat and I expect another vs Swansea. Just hope it doesn't impact how we start the league campaign.

I echo what I said about our defence though. We are in need of experience there. We also need a new goalie. I can see us conceding 3+ goals quite a bit, especially on the road without adding a decent centre back and keeper.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 Jul 2023 21:12

Royal_jimmy I watched on my second screen at work, I thought we did alright for the first half. I have little worry about a good 5-6 of them stepping in to do a job if required this season, hopefully some will show that ability to play above league one level.

But it is another defeat and I expect another vs Swansea. Just hope it doesn't impact how we start the league campaign.

I echo what I said about our defence though. We are in need of experience there. We also need a new goalie. I can see us conceding 3+ goals quite a bit, especially on the road without adding a decent centre back and keeper.

Hi Jimmy, agree regarding the defeat, however Saints, QPR and Swansea are all above us in the league and in our current predicament (Although rapidly improving) we seem to be taking significant steps in the right direction!! However, you do sometimes think who is picking these friendly games? we've not won a game in 5 months and you go and arrange your friendly games against superior quality teams!! I would prefer to go into the season with a winning mentality!!

Agree regarding the Center backs, i would be inclined to let both Holmes and McIntyre go!! they have been with a team on the downward spiral for a while and maybe that losing mentality has got stuck in their heads.
I actually think Andresson could do a good job given a run of games in the first team and as experience goes he's not far behind the guy who left for Cheltenham.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 25 Jul 2023 21:25

The full game is here on YouTube as well as our other pre-season ones

https://youtu.be/hf-1_-7gMqQ

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Jul 2023 22:28

Crowbar6753
Royal_jimmy I watched on my second screen at work, I thought we did alright for the first half. I have little worry about a good 5-6 of them stepping in to do a job if required this season, hopefully some will show that ability to play above league one level.

Hi Jimmy, agree regarding the defeat, however Saints, QPR and Swansea are all above us in the league and in our current predicament (Although rapidly improving) we seem to be taking significant steps in the right direction!! However, you do sometimes think who is picking these friendly games? we've not won a game in 5 months and you go and arrange your friendly games against superior quality teams!! I would prefer to go into the season with a winning mentality!!

Agree regarding the Center backs, i would be inclined to let both Holmes and McIntyre go!! they have been with a team on the downward spiral for a while and maybe that losing mentality has got stuck in their heads.
I actually think Andresson could do a good job given a run of games in the first team and as experience goes he's not far behind the guy who left for Cheltenham.

Higher quality yes but we also lost to Wimbledon and Sutton who are league two.

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Jul 2023 22:38

Agree we should look to move one of them on if an agreeable offer comes in, maybe not both - would prefer to keep Holmes. For whatever reason, they don't work as a CB partnership and we have Dorsett, Abbey and others waiting in the wings. Still would like an experienced CB to come in as well.