Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2555 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: I've lost count - Embargos, HMRC Payent defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Lower West » 03 Nov 2023 14:00

CountryRoyal I know I’m being naive but I still can’t believe there isn’t a better way, than punishing tens of thousands of people, over the actions or inactions of 1/2 bellends.

How many of those thousands of people are impatient for success? Constantly demanding that the owner spends money on new players, changing the management team because the results aren't good enough.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: I've lost count - Embargos, HMRC Payent defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by leon » 03 Nov 2023 14:08

Lower West
CountryRoyal I know I’m being naive but I still can’t believe there isn’t a better way, than punishing tens of thousands of people, over the actions or inactions of 1/2 bellends.

How many of those thousands of people are impatient for success? Constantly demanding that the owner spends money on new players, changing the management team because the results aren't good enough.

Of all the clubs in the UK you could level this at RFC would be low on the list. Our fan base are very passive.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Nov 2023 14:21

leon
Lower West

Of all the clubs in the UK you could level this at RFC would be low on the list. Our fan base are very passive.

Disquiet in the late SJM years was definitely a minority. I think most of us knew how good we had it for a club of our size.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Nov 2023 15:10

There were couple on here who very very vocal to about SJM not splashing the cash. Finally enough they are now the more vocal ones most criticising the EFL now.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Nov 2023 15:53

Lower West

I’m also referring to the club staff who risk losing their jobs because of said 1/2 bellends.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Nov 2023 16:01

Sutekh Thanks STAR, great decision to engage with the FL over this debacle. Out of interest is there anyone within STAR who has a legal background who could advise if there is anything that business/club shareholders could do to try and compel the owner to put the club into administration rather than just have it carry on limping from one farce to another while the owner seemingly doesn't give a Castlemaine 4X?

I suspect there isn't but just want to know all the obvious options to get things sorted have been/are being explored.

We do have access to expertise thankfully, we are very lucky in that regard.

A decision to go into administration is not one to be taken lightly and is really an option of last resort.

You're likely looking at £3-4m of costs if an administrator would take us on. Debts are predominantly to the owner and HMRC, minority non-footballing creditors would be hugely impacted which has knock on effects into the community.

Subsidiary companies, RFC Bearwood Limited, Reading Women's Football Club and the Reading FC Community Trust would likely default into admin, also.

The only likely route for an administrator to take us on would be through keeping the club afloat via the sale of land at Bearwood (we use approx 10% of the 120 acres).

The owner remains the owner until the administration process is over and it's unlikely to be quick, straightforward and painless, not even considering the points deduction.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Nov 2023 16:08

maffff
Sutekh Thanks STAR, great decision to engage with the FL over this debacle. Out of interest is there anyone within STAR who has a legal background who could advise if there is anything that business/club shareholders could do to try and compel the owner to put the club into administration rather than just have it carry on limping from one farce to another while the owner seemingly doesn't give a Castlemaine 4X?

I suspect there isn't but just want to know all the obvious options to get things sorted have been/are being explored.

A decision to go into administration is not one to be taken lightly and is really an option of last resort.

You're likely looking at £3-4m of costs if an administrator would take us on. Debts are predominantly to the owner and HMRC, minority non-footballing creditors would be hugely impacted which has knock on effects into the community.

Subsidiary companies, RFC Bearwood Limited, Reading Women's Football Club and the Reading FC Community Trust would likely default into admin, also.

The only likely route for an administrator to take us on would be through keeping the club afloat via the sale of land at Bearwood (we use approx 10% of the 120 acres).

The owner remains the owner until the administration process is over and it's unlikely to be quick, straightforward and painless, not even considering the points deduction.

Helpful context. Do administrators have the authority to accept offers to buy the club? From what I can see, the biggest barrier to resolving this situation is Dai's asking price. Could administration take the ultimate decision out of his hands?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Nov 2023 17:23

I believe that the EFL will relegate us, and sadly possible rightly so.

This team are just too poor, what did the owners spend all that money on?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2023 17:35

Harpers So Solid Crew I believe that the EFL will relegate us, and sadly possible rightly so.

This team are just too poor, what did the owners spend all that money on?

God knows, it definitely was not on the manager's position.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Nov 2023 23:08

WestYorksRoyal
maffff

Helpful context. Do administrators have the authority to accept offers to buy the club? From what I can see, the biggest barrier to resolving this situation is Dai's asking price. Could administration take the ultimate decision out of his hands?

Sort of. Administrators have the authority to accept offers to buy the club, as they are in charge of the day-to-day running of the club and have the responsibility to find a suitable buyer or reach a settlement with the creditors.

However, the administrators would need to engage with Dai, other creditors, and the Football League before finalising a sale.

The asking price of Dai (particularly given how much of the debt is to him), may be one of the factors that affects the sale process.

Therefore, administration does not necessarily take the ultimate decision out of Dai's hands, but it may put some pressure on him to lower his expectations and cooperate with the administrators.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Nov 2023 16:01

Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion
WestYorksRoyal I'd say it's very hard to administer based upon member card holders and sale history. It would need to be STAR and each club's equivalent. These would need to be strengthened and have their base broadened; advertise their power in safeguarding the club widely so fans know to join.

New legislation would need to be passed through Parliament. Currently, the proposal is almost certainly illegal. And the penalties for administration should remain. It should hurt for fans to place their own club into administration. The message for owners would be that if you fcuk things up so badly that they're willing to do it, you can have no complaints with the consequences. I think we’re at the point where we could get a yes vote if we had the power.
If the new owners want to implement this change to the clubs constitution then they can, However that's not going to happen unless someone wants to give the club away or if the supporters trust buy and run the club then sell the franchise on licence to someone who wants to be caretaker, invest and make money from running it.

If an owner would be willing to do it, they wouldn’t need to do it, they'd just make the decision themselves.

I sincerely doubt a club consitution would be legally binding in that way. You'd be putting the administration of the vote in the hands of the people the fans want to oust, and what recourse do you have if they just ignore the request, or the vote?

What triggers when its called?
Anything can be overturned.
The original owners or Rolls Royce - Henry Royce, I presume, put in the company constitution that it should always be British owned. That was then overturned by the courts/government/whoever when BMW flashed the cash.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Nov 2023 18:38

HMRC debt has not yet been paid.
Last edited by Royalwaster on 04 Nov 2023 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Nov 2023 18:42

Royalwaster HMRC debt has been paid.

Earnshaw thinks different from what I saw

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Nov 2023 20:57

Dave Kitson said on BBCRB post match that the Tax bill has been paid, Didn't say how he knows though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Nov 2023 21:19

The Royal Forester Dave Kitson said on BBCRB post match that the Tax bill has been paid, Didn't say how he knows though.

I think it was some sort of joke/stray comment from tbe sound of it. Lots of other sources saying it hasn’t

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Nov 2023 07:58

The Royal Forester Dave Kitson said on BBCRB post match that the Tax bill has been paid, Didn't say how he knows though.

Confusion reigns, might have meant the wage bill rather than HMRC.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Nov 2023 08:30

WestYorksRoyal
maffff

Once an administrator is appointed the club is theirs to fulfil their obligations.
Their principal regard is to maximise the return to the secured creditors and everyone else is secondary.
They would only sell off a piece of any business if that fits within that requirement and wouldn’t do so ‘simply to keep a business afloat’
Sadly, I know this from particularly bitter experience

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Nov 2023 08:53

So come on Mr Dai please sell up for a reasonable amount.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Nov 2023 09:14

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal
maffff

Once an administrator is appointed the club is theirs to fulfil their obligations.
Their principal regard is to maximise the return to the secured creditors and everyone else is secondary.
They would only sell off a piece of any business if that fits within that requirement and wouldn’t do so ‘simply to keep a business afloat’

But presumably if the only way to get the creditors their money was to accept a relatively low offer on the proviso that the new owners pay off secured creditors in full, they would be able to do this? I think a lot of football financial sagas have ended this way?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Nov 2023 11:47

WestYorksRoyal
Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal Helpful context. Do administrators have the authority to accept offers to buy the club? From what I can see, the biggest barrier to resolving this situation is Dai's asking price. Could administration take the ultimate decision out of his hands?

But presumably if the only way to get the creditors their money was to accept a relatively low offer on the proviso that the new owners pay off secured creditors in full, they would be able to do this? I think a lot of football financial sagas have ended this way?

My point being that, once in administration, Dai would have no control and wouldn’t be consulted
The deal arranged will then be communicated to him as fait accomplis, not ‘do you like it’

2555 posts