Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2633 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: I've lost count - Embargos, HMRC Payent defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2023 13:34

Hound Should just take it and move on I think. The bottom of the Prem is so far adrift quality wise they’ll easily get back to safety I expect

Agreed.

The interesting* thing will be if Leeds, Leicester and Burnley follow through on their written threat to sue now that they have been found guilty as they will think they have likely been relegated as a result of Everton breaching the rules. If their cases are successful, the costs could seriously hamper or even destroy the club.

Also Man City and Chelsea may be sitting a little less easily now that a PL club has been punished fairly sternly for a more minor violation that the ones they have been either charged or accused of.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: I've lost count - Embargos, HMRC Payent defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Hound » 17 Nov 2023 14:32

Stranded
Hound Should just take it and move on I think. The bottom of the Prem is so far adrift quality wise they’ll easily get back to safety I expect

Agreed.

The interesting* thing will be if Leeds, Leicester and Burnley follow through on their written threat to sue now that they have been found guilty as they will think they have likely been relegated as a result of Everton breaching the rules. If their cases are successful, the costs could seriously hamper or even destroy the club.

Also Man City and Chelsea may be sitting a little less easily now that a PL club has been punished fairly sternly for a more minor violation that the ones they have been either charged or accused of.

Yeah saw the threats to sue. Assume that will be by far their biggest concern

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2023 14:37

Hound
Stranded

Agreed.

The thing is only one of them potentially could have survived. So not all could win as that would not be a realistic outcome.

But I don't see a way they can provie that Everton's finicial law breaking won them extra points. Football is unpredictable and they ay have actaully gained more points by not breaking the rules. Surely buying Dele Alli was punishment enough.....

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 17 Nov 2023 14:47

Wycombe Royal
Hound
Stranded
Agreed.

The thing is only one of them potentially could have survived. So not all could win as that would not be a realistic outcome.

But I don't see a way they can provie that Everton's finicial law breaking won them extra points. Football is unpredictable and they ay have actaully gained more points by not breaking the rules. Surely buying Dele Alli was punishment enough.....

I wonder if Everton can point to examples of any other clubs to show that spending huge sums of money is no guarantee of success on the pitch...

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Nov 2023 14:53

Yeah. They should survive with how much weaker the bottom three or four teams are in the Premier League. They're incredibly lucky they've got the points deductions this season and not in any of the previous two seasons.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Nov 2023 14:54

Bugger off to general football, this has sod all to do with us.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Nov 2023 14:55

windermereROYAL Bugger off to general football, this has sod all to do with us.

Grow up.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Nov 2023 14:59

NathStPaul

Grow up.

Pots, kettle, black.

This is the team section meaning our team.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Nov 2023 15:05

windermereROYAL
NathStPaul

Grow up.

Pots, kettle, black.

This is the team section meaning our team.

Maybe bugger off and don't read it if you don't like it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Nov 2023 15:24

rabidbee
Wycombe Royal
Hound

I wonder if Everton can point to examples of any other clubs to show that spending huge sums of money is no guarantee of success on the pitch...

Anyone in mind?

Actually us and then have been almost equally inept in cheating tbh.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2023 15:33

Wycombe Royal
Hound
Stranded
Agreed.

Reading could have used that Dele Alli argument with Sone Aluko.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Nov 2023 18:59

He’s been alright for Ipswich, more resembling the player that tore Tyler Blackett a new arsehole before we signed him.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Nov 2023 10:21

windermereROYAL Interesting article, but what jumped out at me was that Maquire fella saying it would be a 12 point deduction if we go in to administration but could be another 15 points when we come out of it.
That would almost certainly mean national league.

It's only 15 if you exit administration without an agreed CVA.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 Nov 2023 20:22

tmesis
windermereROYAL Interesting article, but what jumped out at me was that Maquire fella saying it would be a 12 point deduction if we go in to administration but could be another 15 points when we come out of it.
That would almost certainly mean national league.

It's only 15 if you exit administration without an agreed CVA.

I believe that's what Leeds fell foul of when they got relegated to League One; I believe Luton got a 20 point deduction for failing to exit administration with a CVA (on top of an additional ten for illegal agent payments).

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Nov 2023 10:09

Re: the Everton points deduction.

The Everton accountants drew up a list of pretty spurious mitigations against the losses to try to persuade the Premier League that Everton had not breached PSR rules.

One of those concerned "Player X", who they were unable to play or sell for 2 Years due to an "unforeseeable and extraordinary circumstance". As well as saying that they could have got £20M in any sale of "Player X", they also calculated that they should be credited for another £10M for not suing him!

:shock:

Why they thought this would be accepted in mitigation is beyond me, but there you go.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2023 10:14

Mr Angry Re: the Everton points deduction.

The Everton accountants drew up a list of pretty spurious mitigations against the losses to try to persuade the Premier League that Everton had not breached PSR rules.

One of those concerned "Player X", who they were unable to play or sell for 2 Years due to an "unforeseeable and extraordinary circumstance". As well as saying that they could have got £20M in any sale of "Player X", they also calculated that they should be credited for another £10M for not suing him!

Why they thought this would be accepted in mitigation is beyond me, but there you go.

I did wonder under what circumstances they thought they could sue a person who was only ever under investigation and never actually charged with anything - assuming Player X is who we believe it to be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Nov 2023 10:39

Stranded

I did wonder under what circumstances they thought they could sue a person who was only ever under investigation and never actually charged with anything - assuming Player X is who we believe it to be.

Bringing the club into disrepute?Given I don't think he was ever officially named that would also be a challenge.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2023 10:56

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Bringing the club into disrepute?Given I don't think he was ever officially named that would also be a challenge.

Would be a massive stretch esp for 10m. Not saying it happened in this case but what if the player was the victim of a made-up allegation and then the club sue him for bringing the club into disrepute. The allegations then get dropped as the lies unravelled, would likely leave the club in a tight legal situation.

I would imagine they didn't sue as their legal teams told them it wasn't even an option.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Nov 2023 11:02

With points deductions being the fashion, I note Leicester have been found guilty of breaking FFP to get promoted in 2014. But no points deductions, just a 3.5 mill fine. There is something horribly vague about EFL rules.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Nov 2023 11:05

Ascotexgunner With points deductions being the fashion, I note Leicester have been found guilty of breaking FFP to get promoted in 2014. But no points deductions, just a 3.5 mill fine. There is something horribly vague about EFL rules.

Presumably that way out for a club is another that has since been closed by the FL, like owners just writing off debt that they're owed etc.

2633 posts