Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2555 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2024 14:00

Armadillo Roadkill Why not? Maidenhead, Slough, Basingstoke; all get far less than 4K. I'm pretty sure most of their regulars would rather have that than no club at all.

I've been to all of those often and always enjoyed it.

Because we're recently a Championship club with an average attendance of 12k, who in good times average 17/18k.

If we can't get some enthusiasm for a fresh start to bring a big slice of them along we'll never get anywhere.

Maidenhead, Slough etc are all small NL clubs with an, until recently, Championship neighbour.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Uke » 12 Mar 2024 14:21

Are we not at the "Mike Ashley" stage yet? The one where he comes in a buys everything for 30p?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Mar 2024 15:36

Uke Are we not at the "Mike Ashley" stage yet? The one where he comes in a buys everything for 30p?

The seller would have to be willing to sell it for 30p for that to happen. No sign of that at the mo.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 12 Mar 2024 15:38

Doesn't that only work when a club is in hock to the banks for tens of millions, and the new buyer takes on the debt? We're in debt to Dai.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Mar 2024 15:45

Snowflake Royal
Armadillo Roadkill Why not? Maidenhead, Slough, Basingstoke; all get far less than 4K. I'm pretty sure most of their regulars would rather have that than no club at all.

Because we're recently a Championship club with an average attendance of 12k, who in good times average 17/18k.

If we can't get some enthusiasm for a fresh start to bring a big slice of them along we'll never get anywhere.

Maidenhead, Slough etc are all small NL clubs with an, until recently, Championship neighbour.

We've had a decade of unremitting shit and even when we were good under Stam, the football was stultifying. We've been haemorrhaging fans.

Taking 5 or 6 steps down the pyramid isn't going to turn this around, especially when a lot of our fanbase were weaned on much better. Old timers who remember Elm Park may be happy with slumming it but I fear a lot of our fanbase won't.

I make as many trips as I can to the SCL, but I don't even fancy a trip to Marine 3 miles up the road with Conference standard facilities In the North East Counties League. A 450 mile round trip to a phoenix club at a similar step doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Mar 2024 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Mar 2024 15:49

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

We've had a decade of unremitting shit and even when we were good under Stam, the football was stultifying. We've been haemorrhaging fans.

Taking 5 or 6 steps down the pyramid isn't going to turn this around, especially when a lot of our fanbase were weaned on much better. Old timers who remember Elm Park may be happy with slumming it but I fear a lot of our fanbase won't.

It's winning that pulls fans and a rebirthed Reading
would be a very, VERY large fish in the lower leagues

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Mar 2024 15:52

We may be a very large fish but that's in a league we're attendances are counted in the hundreds.

I'd look at the example of someone like FC United. They average about 1500.

Aldershot average about 2,500 in the National league.

The big issue would be finding a "home" which in all likelihood would not be in Reading.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2024 16:19

From Despair To Where? We may be a very large fish but that's in a league we're attendances are counted in the hundreds.

I'd look at the example of someone like FC United. They average about 1500.

Aldershot average about 2,500 in the National league.

The big issue would be finding a "home" which in all likelihood would not be in Reading.

I'd look at Wimbledon and add some.

FC United are a Man Utd splinter club. Nothing like comparable.

For the record AFC Wimbledon started with 3,500. So 4k home seems a reasonable optimistic expectation.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Mar 2024 18:09

Snowflake Royal For the record AFC Wimbledon started with 3,500. So 4k home seems a reasonable optimistic expectation.

It's difficult.

We have a lot more fans than Wimbledon. We had more fans even in the Elm Park days. We should be capable of getting significantly bigger crowds than they did, or any other pheonix club has.

The flipside is that if we end up somewhere terrible like Scours Lane or Rams RFC we'll get a lot less, not just because those places only hold 2000, but because they are awful places to watch football unless you are really used to the grass roots of the game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Mar 2024 13:07

What I don't understand about this £1m shortfall is the following:

Why does it magically stop becoming a problem next month?
We knew Dai's commitment to the club at the start of the season, why didn't we budget better?
How in the world can we be £1m short this month? I was under the impression we had greatly reduced outgoings.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2024 14:38

tidus_mi2 What I don't understand about this £1m shortfall is the following:

We knew Dai's commitment to the club at the start of the season, why didn't we budget better?
How in the world can we be £1m short this month? I was under the impression we had greatly reduced outgoings.

SCL rent payment due?

Somebody other than Dai calling in a debt?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Mar 2024 14:59

Would be classic if we got deducted points for failing to pay rent to Dai.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Mar 2024 15:41

WestYorksRoyal Would be classic if we got deducted points for failing to pay rent to Dai.

Probably not as he's not a football creditor

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2024 19:29

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

I make as many trips as I can to the SCL, but I don't even fancy a trip to Marine 3 miles up the road with Conference standard facilities In the North East Counties League. A 450 mile round trip to a phoenix club at a similar step doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Plastic :wink:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 10:33

tmesis

SCL rent payment due?

If Reading's monthly outgoings are £1m and there is no cash coming in this month at all then you can be £1m short.

If TV money is paid quarterly, and sponsorship money is paid quarterly, and we have a small away attendance for one month, you can have some months where we wouldnt get much cash in at all.

One of the frustrations for me about the limp exit to Eastleigh was it denied us a chance of making some money.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 10:55

Greatwesternline
tmesis

SCL rent payment due?

If Reading's monthly outgoings are £1m and there is no cash coming in this month at all then you can be £1m short.

If TV money is paid quarterly, and sponsorship money is paid quarterly, and we have a small away attendance for one month, you can have some months where we wouldnt get much cash in at all.

One of the frustrations for me about the limp exit to Eastleigh was it denied us a chance of making some money.

Yes, in this case, what would have been the club's "bi-annual" cup game against ManUre.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Mar 2024 11:17

Greatwesternline
tmesis

SCL rent payment due?

Eastleigh and Brighton U21s are the two biggest frustrations of the season - both games we should have won and if we had we would have likely had at least one big game in the FAC to fill coffers and in the latter, more than a slight chance we would be looking forward to taking a lot of fans to Wembley and making a decent wedge. Both *may* have seen us in a different position than the one we are discussing today.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Mar 2024 17:15

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere; namely an interesting detail in the Wycombe statement from earlier today where they say they have put their purchase of the training ground "on hold" due to the planning issue.

"A Wycombe statement said: "Many of the details were still to be worked out, including potential sharing with Reading and how to ensure a smooth transition.

"Importantly, it was agreed that while the details were being finalised and due diligence carried out, Feliciana [Wycombe's majority investors] would provide sufficient financing to Reading to allow it to pay its tax obligations and operating expenses, including payroll for the staff and players."

That seems to suggest to me that our potential financial issues at the end of March have been sorted out; unless I have mis-read the meaning of the statement??

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2024 17:20

Mr Angry I haven't seen this posted elsewhere; namely an interesting detail in the Wycombe statement from earlier today where they say they have put their purchase of the training ground "on hold" due to the planning issue.

"A Wycombe statement said: "Many of the details were still to be worked out, including potential sharing with Reading and how to ensure a smooth transition.

"Importantly, it was agreed that while the details were being finalised and due diligence carried out, Feliciana [Wycombe's majority investors] would provide sufficient financing to Reading to allow it to pay its tax obligations and operating expenses, including payroll for the staff and players."

That seems to suggest to me that our potential financial issues at the end of March have been sorted out; unless I have mis-read the meaning of the statement??

Hang on, Wycombe's owners are funding a League competitor for the privilege of negotiating the purchase of something they may not even be able to buy and use?

Someone is being played for a fool here.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Mar 2024 17:21

I think it's fair that Bearwood falling through has thrown off Pang's funding plans. Presumably the plan now is exclusivity this week and loans provided by the buyer. I believe HMRC is due this week, but that will be lower than the wage bill. Perhaps ticket sales and efforts from the commercial team will get us over that hurdle, with exclusivity and loans arriving in time for next week.

Or everything is just fcuked. Or a middle ground. I'd rather have Bearwood than 2 points.

2555 posts