277 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (h)

by Sutekh » 01 Aug 2023 08:07

When : Saturday August 5 2023, 3pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And here we go back into the unknown with an ill prepared squad, unknown manager, hopeless owner and FL charges regularly being thrown at what is rapidly coming the biggest joke club of the whole 92 (and there is some really stern opposition there for that title).

After an utterly useless and pathetic pre-season Reading managed to extend their dreadful run of form to 18 games without victory (P18, W0, D6, L12 F12 A33) so there's absolutely nothing that can happen in this game that would surprise or upset the expected course of events other than Reading claiming 3 points.

Add to that the threat of a fan's sit in happening after the game you realise just how wonderful it really is to be following Reading at the moment.

Reports that Peterborough might be threatened with administration have been vehemently denied by the club from London Road and meanwhile they've not done too badly in their preseason overall and finished it off by beating Birmingham 3-2 (after being 3-0 up in 15 minutes) last weekend.

Johnson Clarke-Harris remains the biggest problem to deal with, though there are rumours floating about that he is subject of a transfer bid from Rangers so maybe there's a small chance he won't get to be able to partake of this particular turkey shoot. Equally centre back Ronnie Edwards is said to be on ManU's radar so who knows where Peterborough will be by the time this game kicks off. But overall Peterborough have had a decent preseason and apparently been looking like a well organised team more than capable of holding their own in the division (and quite probably being one of the better teams to play this season).

Meanwhile Reading are in god knows what state. However with the tax bill rumoured to have been paid and the rumoured new investors being shown around the place who knows what cock-eyed shenanigans will be happening over the remaining 3/4 days of the close season.

On top of it all there's the already blossoming injury list (as per usual) which has claimed Sam Smith, Ovie Ejaria, Sam Hutchinson and made Lewis Wing doubtful.

Referee

Simon Mather

Previously

No previous games

Historically

Reading have won 10 of the previous 17 league games played at home against Peterborough and have been beaten just once (by 1-0 on 26 October 1962) in that run so there is some form behind this one to live up to, trouble is that I think Reading would have trouble beating an egg at the moment let alone 11 fit half decent footballers.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (h)

by PieEater » 01 Aug 2023 08:25

Given the complete shambles we are I'm expecting a 0-3 loss - Welcome to league 1

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 01 Aug 2023 08:27

1,377 away tickets sold which is a good number.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2023 08:30

What I really love about the start of each new season is how you can go into it full of hope and excitement, with the baggage of previous season failure forgotten and behind you.

Before a ball is kicked, it's firmly about looking upwards at what could be with a good season and the endless possibilities that entails.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Aug 2023 09:02

Snowflake Royal What I really love about the start of each new season is how you can go into it full of hope and excitement, with the baggage of previous season failure forgotten and behind you.

Before a ball is kicked, it's firmly about looking upwards at what could be with a good season and the endless possibilities that entails.

Never had you down as a comedian but that is close to genius my friend.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 01 Aug 2023 09:14

The club is doing a great job of sapping any new season hope and optimisum out of the fans before we even kick our first ball.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 Aug 2023 09:22

Snowflake Royal What I really love about the start of each new season is how you can go into it full of hope and excitement, with the baggage of previous season failure forgotten and behind you.

Looking upwards at the 23 teams who'll finish above us this season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Aug 2023 09:40

Expecting defeat to be honest. Not that I think Peterborough are anything special, just probably better than us. Selles hasn't exactly filled me with confidence saying that we need 10 new players and we've only actually brought in 4 thus far.

Obviously a lot of off the field shit to sort first, but I'd anticipate our season may truly start once the window has closed, then we know exactly what we are/aren't working with.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Aug 2023 09:45

genuinely quite excited about the new season.

This will be our hardest fixture in the first few weeks of the season and if we get a draw I think that will be a decent result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2023 09:47

Stranded

Never had you down as a comedian but that is close to genius my friend.

:D

My genuinely held default position (sadly broken these days), which i thought would follow Sutekh nicely.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Aug 2023 10:19

In my heart I have a lot of enthusiasm and am looking forward to the start of the new season as always. In my head I think this one could get really embarrassing. It’s got the feeling of Norwich at home to Colchester for me.

I remember the days when defeat’s would ruin my weekend, but it’s the norm nowadays and for the last few years I go to games expecting to see us lose. I was hoping it would be different this year, but the reality is another season of sh*te.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2023 10:28

For me a lot does depend on this week. If we inexplicably have to hand back Savage, can’t sign Rushesha, and can’t play Wing then morale will be rock bottom

If that gets sorted; We’ve the players to be pretty competitive. It’s not really any worse than the side that would have stayed up bar a deduction last year.

If the bill gets fixed then there’s no reason to fear peterboro at all. I’ll be extremely concerned for the whole season if the tax bill stuff rumbles on though

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Aug 2023 12:16

The easiest money you'll make all season is taking the 13/10 away win.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 01 Aug 2023 14:21

Zammo The easiest money you'll make all season is taking the 13/10 away win.

Already done!!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Aug 2023 17:59

Lol at those happy to be drawing against teams like Peterborough at home. Although realistically I expect we'll get smashed despite only ever only knowing 1 of their players.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Aug 2023 17:59

RG30 1,377 away tickets sold which is a good number.

And those 1,377 fans will go home happy Saturday evening

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2023 18:13

Royal_jimmy Lol at those happy to be drawing against teams like Peterborough at home. Although realistically I expect we'll get smashed despite only ever only knowing 1 of their players.

:|

Yeah, lol @ people being happy with a draw against the sixth best team in the division last season and Play Off runners up after a very difficult pre-season with few signings and a team likely to be relying on many youth players.

Cretin.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 01 Aug 2023 18:27

Was surprised to see Peterborough 7/5 earlier. Probably worth backing whoever we're up against for the first 3/4 weeks at least.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 01 Aug 2023 18:40

Royal_jimmy
RG30 1,377 away tickets sold which is a good number.

And those 1,377 fans will go home happy Saturday evening

Presumably they are in the south stand next to 1871 ?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 Aug 2023 18:55

Royal_jimmy Lol at those happy to be drawing against teams like Peterborough at home. Although realistically I expect we'll get smashed despite only ever only knowing 1 of their players.

+1

i have gone peterbrough handicap -3 goals, they will destroy us and we will be proven right DD!

277 posts