MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (h)

277 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (h)

by CountryRoyal » 05 Aug 2023 17:42

Esteban
blythspartan I actually thought we played quite well overall. The team needs to be given time to gel and we need a few more players in. Considering what an utter mess we’ve been in preseason I can’t have any complaints.

Savage will be quality this season and Knibbs did well. The young lad Vickers looks special. I’m afraid Azeez continues to disappoint and he needs a lot more coaching in my opinion.

Azeez is so frustrating. Looks to have every attribute he needs to be a good player, except for the end product, which is the important bit.

But then, like Ejaria and co. If he had an end product he wouldn’t be playing for us.

But yes agreed his end product, or lack thereof is super frustrating

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 17:44

Oh look tonnes of moaners about today but didn't stay behind.

I cba even moaning. Other than our support is a oxf*rd disgrace. It was worse than today's performance
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 05 Aug 2023 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2023 17:44

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
CountryRoyal
Well that didn’t take long…. :shock:

Played six. Lost six.

But thanks for the reminder you're right. Must. Try. Harder. To. Get. Behind. Him. *strained fake grin*

Anyone talking about anything but his record in competative games with us needs to put away their agenda and grow up.

You've had an absolute mare on this thread Millsy.

Like anyone my agenda is for him to succeed as I've stated countless times. Accusing people of having agendas is typical immature bullshit and you know it Ian.

For us: played six. Lost six.

Want to move goalposts? Ok. Competitive record time: for Southamption. Lost 11 out of 17. Win ratio 11.8%. Competitive record thus far for us: played one lost one.

A mare to point it out though, obviously. Sorry to trigger people but I do enjoy mental gymnastics. This popcorn is tasty. :lol:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Aug 2023 17:46

CountryRoyal
Norfolk Royal
CountryRoyal
Not doomongering at all but it’s decided on small margins, and it doesn’t take a lot before the whole thing falls down.

Overall I’m encouraged by what I see, but still maintain that the defence is rubbish and goals could be a problem.

Encouraged by the expectation that we are going to let in lots of goals and not score any. I admire your optimism.

Well not that long ago we were worried we’d even see out the season.

And we won’t play Peterborough every week. What I’ve said can still hold true, a lot of our play was encouraging. Just a bit tepid in both boxes.

Fairs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 17:47

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Played six. Lost six.

But thanks for the reminder you're right. Must. Try. Harder. To. Get. Behind. Him. *strained fake grin*

Anyone talking about anything but his record in competative games with us needs to put away their agenda and grow up.

Want to move goalposts? Ok. Competitive record time: for Southamption. Lost 11 out of 17. Win ratio 11.8%. Competitive record thus far for us: played one lost one.

A mare to point it out though, obviously. Sorry to trigger people but I do enjoy mental gymnastics. This popcorn is tasty. :lol:

ROFL at including preseason friendlies. Urterly clueless and pathetic.

He's managed 1 real game. Fin.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Aug 2023 17:47

CountryRoyal
Esteban
blythspartan I actually thought we played quite well overall. The team needs to be given time to gel and we need a few more players in. Considering what an utter mess we’ve been in preseason I can’t have any complaints.

Savage will be quality this season and Knibbs did well. The young lad Vickers looks special. I’m afraid Azeez continues to disappoint and he needs a lot more coaching in my opinion.

Azeez is so frustrating. Looks to have every attribute he needs to be a good player, except for the end product, which is the important bit.

But then, like Ejaria and co. If he had an end product he wouldn’t be playing for us.

But yes agreed his end product, or lack thereof is super frustrating

I wouldn't be bothered if they got sold off for big money in the end, if we could have a season, even half a season's worth of end product about them, it would be crucial for us.

He's still young and has that side of the game to work on though, still have a little bit of time for him. Strange because he was on fire during the start of Pauno's second season I believe before his injury, never really looked the same since.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2023 17:49

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Anyone talking about anything but his record in competative games with us needs to put away their agenda and grow up.

Just stating facts buddy. As you say it's only one competitive game for us so why you getting worked up? :lol:

Played six. Lost six.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Aug 2023 17:51

Elm Park Kid Much, much less of a shambles then I feared - helped by the fact that we had our familiar back four out and Hutchinson. Our attack lacked any kind of confidence in front of goal, but that was hardly surprising. You have to think that if we'd faced them a few games in and a couple of wins under our belt we would have gotten a couple of goals at least. Nice to see a bit of link up play on the wings as well.

On the negative side - I'm concerned that Carroll might be done. His job is to get into position and take chances and there was precious little of that today. I'm looking at that squad and really wondering where the goals are going to come from, you have to have a quality striker if you want to get out of this league, and we're going to be pushed to bring someone in if Carroll isn't going to do the job.

I wouldn't quite say Carroll is done, he's obviously still got some ability and is a useful player to have, we just shouldn't be relying on him that's all. Hopefully once Smith gets fit though, that should be less of an issue, maybe bring in a couple of other attacking outlets as well that can provide some goals.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 17:52

Knibbs, Wing and Smith all have some goal pedigree.

Ehib and Aeez need to contribute.

I think the goals will come

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Aug 2023 17:58

Ehibatiomhan is an odd one, one minute he looks quality next minute looks Sunday league, guess that’s expected from a young player with little experience. I’d back him to make an impact if persisted with.

Carroll on the other hand is not and won’t be prolific and doesn’t appear to suit Sellesball. Maybe a better option from the bench when Smith is back. Whether that will happen or not….

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2023 18:11

CountryRoyal Ehibatiomhan is an odd one, one minute he looks quality next minute looks Sunday league, guess that’s expected from a young player with little experience. I’d back him to make an impact if persisted with.

Carroll on the other hand is not and won’t be prolific and doesn’t appear to suit Sellesball. Maybe a better option from the bench when Smith is back. Whether that will happen or not….

Always liked Ehib I think he'll come good.

Don't agree about Carroll and Selles though. As I've said above the one bit of respect I have for P6L6 (Selles) is for getting more out of Carroll than Pauno or Ince have ever managed. Today was the first game I saw with Carroll starting for us where the ball wasn't hoofed up at him every single time. We actually seemed to be going down the channels and putting crosses in which is exactly what is required. I think I probably saw more crosses at Carrolls head in the box in open play in this one game (whether they reached him or not) than in the entirety of Ince's time put together. Respect to P6L6 for that if nothing else.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Aug 2023 18:14

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Just stating facts buddy. As you say it's only one competitive game for us so why you getting worked up? :lol:

Played six. Lost six.

The point I would add is that Ferguson is experienced at this level. Posh were utter bollox and all over the place for the first 20 but he settled them and changed it a bit and they got a lucky goal and then we never really hurt them because he set them up perfectly and they could have won by more.. It's experience I don't see in Selles at the minute, but he may get it as the season goes on and the players gel.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Aug 2023 18:18

Snowflake Royal Knibbs, Wing and Smith all have some goal pedigree.

Personally, I would give Caylan Vickers a start. I know he’s only 18 but I have been really impressed by him whenever I’ve seen him play.

Also, a different position but I’d like Carson to be given a chance at LB.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 18:34

blythspartan

Personally, I would give Caylan Vickers a start. I know he’s only 18 but I have been really impressed by him whenever I’ve seen him play.

Can't say I've seen much in him. I think Ehib is getting the chance he deserves at the moment. If Vickers creates chances or scores some goals off the bench then he forces a decision. Until then I'd be drip feeding him in, not putting starting pressure on him.

Similarly, I think NGW rightly has the slot. But if he has a run of form or injury then Carson gets his chance. Would like to see some sub time in games we're comfortable and winning.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 Aug 2023 18:51

Anybody know what the attendance was today ?

JR

by JR » 05 Aug 2023 18:53

Millsy Selles - lost 11 out of 17 games with Southampton.

Then lost every preseason game for us. All (bar one) by 2 goals.

And now lost his only league game, at home against a vastly weaker opposition.

Is Bullivant free?

What’s your personal issue with Selles? Massively out of perspective here. He’s been brought in for a long term project and you are judging him on one chaotic pre-season and a single league game?

Vastly weaker opposition shows you are not being rationale - this is a side who narrowly lost to the play-off winners, which puts them right up there in terms of League 1 strength this year.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Aug 2023 19:09

blythspartan

Really likes what we saw of Vickers. Very lively, clearly trying to get on the ball as much as possible, trying to create as well as get into the box. Could be the seasons surprise package.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2023 19:17

I think (and looks like the management think) that Vickers certainly has something about him - do think he looks very lightweight atm though - no surprise at all considering his age. Wouldn’t be starting him or giving him that much time just yet

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 05 Aug 2023 22:11

Bit disappointed by today, really. We created some decent chances and with a little bit more luck (ball landing on a player's good foot, instead of weight-bearing foot etc), could have scored. I just can't help but think that for all the good build-up play, I never actually believed we would score, it just had that feel about it.

I think Ehib and Azeez have great positioning and fantastic acceleration. With a bit more experience, I'm confident both will be quality players.

Glad to see knibbs' energy levels didn't drop, he feels a lot like Tom Ince in that respect. He was exciting to watch.

Can't believe how many yellows the ref dished out and yet nobody got sent off. Seemed pretty comical at times.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 06 Aug 2023 00:34

karbota
Loafer What an abysmal lineup :lol:

FO Racist.

Wayne Kerr

277 posts