Record Watch 23/24

269 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Record Watch 23/24

by Silver Fox » 18 Sep 2023 08:43

Brentford, Chelsea ( :lol: ) and Man U ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) all added to the fewer than 106 group over the weekend

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Sep 2023 21:55

Leicester look a real danger even at this early stage.

JR

by JR » 21 Sep 2023 00:07

Are we the first team to set a new record this season by achieving the highest ever win in the history of the EFL Trophy?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Sep 2023 09:16

windermereROYAL Leicester look a real danger even at this early stage.

They’re not even top of the table :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2023 12:31

See Franchise, this what I meant. A big name club get a win in September and suddenly they're apparently going to break the record.

They've not even played 10 games ffs.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 21 Sep 2023 14:44

I always look at the losses. In our 106 season, we lost twice.

No way a team is going to lose 3 or more and still beat the record, however mathematically possible it is.

Leicester have already lost one and haven't yet played the bigger teams in the division. Worry not.

It really is a huge undertaking to achieve.

Also, just a moment to remind ourselves of Colin's words that "Burnley" were the best ever team that have graced the Championship, despite coming in 5 points shy. Burnley are currently sat penultimate in the Premier League with 1 point from 4 games.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Sep 2023 14:58

Last year Burnley had a chance, but they massive dropped off after the title was secured, including the home loss to QPR that really damaged us. :x

It shows what a marathon it is to reach 106. We did very well to keep up the momentum after the title was secured in 2006.

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 21 Sep 2023 16:33

I'm always more concerned about Man City rather than frontrunners in the Championship.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Sep 2023 16:51

dontbedaft I'm always more concerned about Man City rather than frontrunners in the Championship.

Very little chance, they've got quite a few injuries and got a hard of run of games coming up and the champions league has kicked off.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Sep 2023 17:22

Mid Sussex Royal
dontbedaft I'm always more concerned about Man City rather than frontrunners in the Championship.

Very little chance, they've got quite a few injuries and got a hard of run of games coming up and the champions league has kicked off.

It would be carnage if they got 106 - that’s four draws and 34 wins
13 is more at risk, but as MSR says, now is the time when things get real for them, although they’ve got an International break to get a few fit again if necessary :wink:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Sep 2023 17:27

Franchise FC
Mid Sussex Royal

It would be carnage if they got 106 - that’s four draws and 34 wins
13 is more at risk, but as MSR says, now is the time when things get real for them, although they’ve got an International break to get a few fit again if necessary :wink:

Not any more.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 Oct 2023 20:10

Leicester have won 13 out of 14 games which is not only a bigger points total at this stage than Burnley last season who ended up with 101 but also higher than the 05/06 Reading and Sheffield United sides total at this point (they were actually ahead of us that season until our away win at Ipswich in November). Could the 106 be under threat?

As much as I hope we keep the record in the last few years I've thought it might go sooner rather than later. We've seen City break 100 points a couple of times now and we saw both City and Liverpool finish on 98pts vs 97pts a couple seasons ago which is madness especially considering that they do it in 8 less games.

But forgetting that it looks like the average points totals of the top teams in the football league divisions are increasing on average, for example even last season in League One we had the top three finishing on 101, 98 and 96 points respectively. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the highest points total for a non automatically promoted team ever for Sheff Wed in third who went up via the play offs anyway.

I remember the 106 season as a young lad and I was in awe, it could have easily been higher too like 108 or 110, a couple of those draws towards the end really should have been wins but oh well.

The fact we only lost 2 games all season is almost unmatchable and I think any team wanting to beat that record can't really lose more than 4 games all season. We had 13 draws that season though so our main danger is having a team that ends up with very few draws as well as very few losses which we have seen happen recently mainly in the prem but still. Hope we can hang on to the one thing we seem to have left to hang on to atm.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Oct 2023 20:30

RoyallyFcuked Leicester have won 13 out of 14 games which is not only a bigger points total at this stage than Burnley last season who ended up with 101 but also higher than the 05/06 Reading and Sheffield United sides total at this point (they were actually ahead of us that season until our away win at Ipswich in November). Could the 106 be under threat?

As much as I hope we keep the record in the last few years I've thought it might go sooner rather than later. We've seen City break 100 points a couple of times now and we saw both City and Liverpool finish on 98pts vs 97pts a couple seasons ago which is madness especially considering that they do it in 8 less games.

But forgetting that it looks like the average points totals of the top teams in the football league divisions are increasing on average, for example even last season in League One we had the top three finishing on 101, 98 and 96 points respectively. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the highest points total for a non automatically promoted team ever for Sheff Wed in third who went up via the play offs anyway.

I remember the 106 season as a young lad and I was in awe, it could have easily been higher too like easily 108 or 110, a couple of those draws towards the end really should have been wins but oh well.

The fact we only lost 2 games all season is almost unmatchable and I think any team wanting to beat that record can't really lose more than 4 games all season. We had 13 draws that season though so our main danger is having a team that ends up with very few draws as well as very few losses which we have seen happen recently mainly in the prem but still. Hope we can hang on to the one thing we seem to have to hang on to atm.

With the increasing concentration of talent in the Premier League, and recently relegated clubs, it seems inevitable the record will go at some point.

That said, I think the wonder of the 106 season was the journey we went on - rather than the destination of 106 points. We were expected to be mid-table at the start of that season, with the play-offs achievable with a good season. We'd put together a squad of players who mostly hadn't played in the Premier League before; I think only John Oster, Chris Makin and Glen Little had played any minutes in the Premier League - Little had only played about 30 minutes total and the other two weren't regular starters in their respective positions. I don't think a side like that will ever been seen again, or was seen before.

If Leicester break the record this season, which they could well do, it wouldn't be the same sort of achievement - they were expected to get promoted; they have a squad largely comprised of experienced Premier League players; they have a budget much greater than most sides in that division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2023 20:40

I'll start to 'worry' about it if they're still on pace or better in January.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 29 Oct 2023 20:51

Clyde1998
RoyallyFcuked Leicester have won 13 out of 14 games which is not only a bigger points total at this stage than Burnley last season who ended up with 101 but also higher than the 05/06 Reading and Sheffield United sides total at this point (they were actually ahead of us that season until our away win at Ipswich in November). Could the 106 be under threat?

I remember the 106 season as a young lad and I was in awe, it could have easily been higher too like easily 108 or 110, a couple of those draws towards the end really should have been wins but oh well.

The fact we only lost 2 games all season is almost unmatchable and I think any team wanting to beat that record can't really lose more than 4 games all season. We had 13 draws that season though so our main danger is having a team that ends up with very few draws as well as very few losses which we have seen happen recently mainly in the prem but still. Hope we can hang on to the one thing we seem to have to hang on to atm.

With the increasing concentration of talent in the Premier League, and recently relegated clubs, it seems inevitable the record will go at some point.

That said, I think the wonder of the 106 season was the journey we went on - rather than the destination of 106 points. We were expected to be mid-table at the start of that season, with the play-offs achievable with a good season. We'd put together a squad of players who mostly hadn't played in the Premier League before; I think only John Oster, Chris Makin and Glen Little had played any minutes in the Premier League - Little had only played about 30 minutes total and the other two weren't regular starters in their respective positions. I don't think a side like that will ever been seen again, or was seen before.

If Leicester break the record this season, which they could well do, it wouldn't be the same sort of achievement - they were expected to get promoted; they have a squad largely comprised of experienced Premier League players; they have a budget much greater than most sides in that division.

You make an excellent point, and one that I'd basically overlooked with my post there lol. But you're 100% right any team that might beat that record is almost definitely going to be benefiting from some financial gain that our old Reading side certainly didn't have.

Old Prem sides with massive parachute payments give me a break. We had never even been in the top flight before! Like you say most of those players hadn't experienced it but they wanted it and boy did they earn it haha. Amazing to look back on it now just a shame we couldn't build on it. Got a soft spot for Luton they remind me of us when we were there just shows it can still be done haha up the ding

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Oct 2023 20:57

If the record goes then it going to a club that won the Premier League only 8 years ago isn't too shabby really.

They really shouldn't have gone down last year and whilst trying list some big names, may actually be a better side this.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Oct 2023 14:58

Looking at the Premier League, there is another record that is in danger; Derby's infamous 11 points haul from 2007/08.

Both Luton and Sheffield United look incapable of mustering a win between them at the moment.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2023 15:40

Mr Angry Looking at the Premier League, there is another record that is in danger; Derby's infamous 11 points haul from 2007/08.

Both Luton and Sheffield United look incapable of mustering a win between them at the moment.

Luton will likely drop but they will pick up wins here and there - probably get to around the 25-30pt mark - Sheff Utd fans should be really concerned - worst start in PL history I believe including an 8-0 home shellacking and a 5-0 at Arsenal - 11 points will seem a long way off.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 Oct 2023 16:01

Stranded
Mr Angry Looking at the Premier League, there is another record that is in danger; Derby's infamous 11 points haul from 2007/08.

Luton will likely drop but they will pick up wins here and there - probably get to around the 25-30pt mark - Sheff Utd fans should be really concerned - worst start in PL history I believe including an 8-0 home shellacking and a 5-0 at Arsenal - 11 points will seem a long way off.

Not many clubs sell their best two players for around £50 million (as Sheff Utd did) after promotion, hardly spend a penny on any new players and somehow expect to survive at the higher level.

Presumably their longer term plan is to imitate Norwich but this year that isn't working.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 31 Oct 2023 16:18

windermereROYAL Leicester look a real danger even at this early stage.

truth

269 posts