Record Watch 23/24

269 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Record Watch 23/24

by stealthpapes » 23 Jan 2024 11:32

dontbedaft Seeing Sheffield United winning yesterday got me to wondering - is there a similar "record watch" thread on the Derby County message board where every year they track whether anyone will nick their less prestigious lowest ever points tally record?

Back in the day,mate of mine's lower league team were coached by an old boy who'd played for Stoke in the mid-80s.

Once Derby had beaten their record (1985, 17 points in 42 games), the 1984-85 squad all got together and had a party for no longer being the historically worst team ever.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Jan 2024 11:38

windermereROYAL Leicester can only drop 13 points in 18 games to beat it now.

Around Christmas, they basically needed 2 pts a game to break the record, it's now edged up to about 2.3 pts a game.

They weren't great last night, but it boiled down to one keeper makes five or six great saves, the other makes a couple of clangers on the one he had to make.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Feb 2024 09:55

Three wins on the bounce for Leicester, and the record is very much back on. They need 32 points from 15 games - still a big ask, but they are very capable of (say) 10 wins and 2 draws to the end of the season. Should win their next two at home to Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday, and then it is Elland Road. Leeds unbeaten at home this season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Feb 2024 10:02

Am I the only one who doesn't feel too strongly about the record? If we finish the season well and get taken over, I'll be ecstatic and I really won't care if Leicester take our record.

Similarly in a dire 2023, it didn't keep me warm thinking "well at least Burnley didn't beat out record".

Records are there to be broken, dominant teams relegated from the PL seems normal now. It's a question of when, not if.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2024 10:26

WestYorksRoyal Am I the only one who doesn't feel too strongly about the record? If we finish the season well and get taken over, I'll be ecstatic and I really won't care if Leicester take our record.

Similarly in a dire 2023, it didn't keep me warm thinking "well at least Burnley didn't beat out record".

Records are there to be broken, dominant teams relegated from the PL seems normal now. It's a question of when, not if.

It's a great record to have but outside of us most people are blissfully unaware of it - hence why we hardly ever come up in conversations about the greatest Championship side.

We've had it for nearly 20 years and if it gets broken by a squad, that is essentially a mid-table PL side (they should not have got relegated last year) playing for a club that were PL Champions what 8 years ago?, then I'm comfortable with that - life moves on and we have bigger fish to fry.

This is the first season where the gap caused by the PL money has really shone through - the relegated sides all in the top 3 and between 14 and 26 points clear of 5th - Ipswich having an incredible season just to keep them honest - if this continues then if Leicester don't take the record, it will only be a matter of time before someone else does. Key will be what happens once they are up and/or confirmed as Champions.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Feb 2024 10:29

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Am I the only one who doesn't feel too strongly about the record? If we finish the season well and get taken over, I'll be ecstatic and I really won't care if Leicester take our record.

It's a great record to have but outside of us most people are blissfully unaware of it - hence why we hardly ever come up in conversations about the greatest Championship side.

We've had it for nearly 20 years and if it gets broken by a squad, that is essentially a mid-table PL side (they should not have got relegated last year) playing for a club that were PL Champions what 8 years ago?, then I'm comfortable with that - life moves on and we have bigger fish to fry.

This is the first season where the gap caused by the PL money has really shone through - the relegated sides all in the top 3 and between 14 and 26 points clear of 5th - Ipswich having an incredible season just to keep them honest - if this continues then if Leicester don't take the record, it will only be a matter of time before someone else does. Key will be what happens once they are up and/or confirmed as Champions.

I want the relegated 3 to pull away from Ipswich and get the 3 promotion spots so we can end this nonsense argument that the size of parachute payments are fair and necessary.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2024 10:33

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

I want the relegated 3 to pull away from Ipswich and get the 3 promotion spots so we can end this nonsense argument that the size of parachute payments are fair and necessary.

I want all 3 PL sides to get to over 90 points, then whoever finishes 3rd to lose the semi final of the play-offs to Coventry (for example), just for a laugh. If the gap between 3rd and 6th is 25 points or more that would make it even funnier. Especially if it happens to Leeds.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Feb 2024 10:40

Three wins on the bounce for Leicester, and the record is very much back on. They need 32 points from 15 games - still a big ask, but they are very capable of (say) 10 wins and 2 draws to the end of the season. Should win their next two at home to Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday, and then it is Elland Road. Leeds unbeaten at home this season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Feb 2024 10:41

Feel like I read that about an hour ago. :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Feb 2024 15:29

Hendo Feel like I read that about an hour ago. :lol:

It did feel quite a familiar story :)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Feb 2024 16:25

just reading an article on BBC Sport, I didn't realize Derby's 11 points in our first season in the prem was a record still held to this day... across all of the top 5 European leagues :!: :lol: I thought it was just a prem record. So they really are the 'worst team in history' as we like to chant to them. Well unfortunately Almeria in Spain look like they might be taking that unwanted record from them - sitting on just 6 points so far. I like singing that to derby let's hope they have a rally over their remaining games.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Feb 2024 16:46

Derby really were there for the taking in that last game of the season; iirc we needed to score 7 to stay up on GD and only managed 4......

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Feb 2024 16:47

Brogue just reading an article on BBC Sport, I didn't realize Derby's 11 points in our first season in the prem was a record still held to this day... across all of the top 5 European leagues :!: :lol: I thought it was just a prem record. So they really are the 'worst team in history' as we like to chant to them. Well unfortunately Almeria in Spain look like they might be taking that unwanted record from them - sitting on just 6 points so far. I like singing that to derby let's hope they have a rally over their remaining games.

It was our 2nd Premier League season.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Feb 2024 17:28

I like having that record.
I like having the 13 wins record.
I really liked the old Steve Death goals conceded one, still miss it, truth be told.

Old Reading has some gems

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Feb 2024 19:24

Sanguine Three wins on the bounce for Leicester, and the record is very much back on. They need 32 points from 15 games - still a big ask, but they are very capable of (say) 10 wins and 2 draws to the end of the season. Should win their next two at home to Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday, and then it is Elland Road. Leeds unbeaten at home this season.

The real achievement is staying focussed and winning after clinching promotion and/or the championship. We made a concerted effort to do that and did OK with 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 6 games... It was slightly before we clinched it that we had a small wobble - the game at Leicester was our third draw in a row.

The record I'm most interested in is "The only club ever to gain promotion to the Premier League in GMT" so it's more about when Leicester do it rather than by how many points. The fact Southampton aren't a million miles behind make me think this record will stay intact.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Feb 2024 19:44

tidus_mi2
Brogue just reading an article on BBC Sport, I didn't realize Derby's 11 points in our first season in the prem was a record still held to this day... across all of the top 5 European leagues :!: :lol: I thought it was just a prem record. So they really are the 'worst team in history' as we like to chant to them. Well unfortunately Almeria in Spain look like they might be taking that unwanted record from them - sitting on just 6 points so far. I like singing that to derby let's hope they have a rally over their remaining games.

It was our 2nd Premier League season.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 12 Feb 2024 21:51

After 31 games Leicester are one point below what we had at that time

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Feb 2024 07:02

They got a 0-0 draw against Bilbao last night - they just need four points from fourteen matches to level Derby! :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Feb 2024 07:17

Clyde1998

They got a 0-0 draw against Bilbao last night - they just need four points from fourteen matches to level Derby! :lol:

Looking forward to the "you're just a **** Almeria" chant....

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Feb 2024 09:00

Clyde1998

Fwiw, equals the longest run in La Liga without a victory, now stretching to 27 games, after they also went winless in their final four games last season.

Seven draws and nine defeats by a single goal - one of those odd runs where they could easily have twice as many points, or even more. Three teams have scored fewer goals.

269 posts