BFTG Peterborough

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Peterborough

by URZZZZ » 06 Aug 2023 23:58

Started well but you have to take your chances whilst on top. Allowed them a foothold in the game from one of our own set pieces and a poor clearance from Savage. Gave them confidence and they stopped making such basic errors

Voiced a concern that this defence simply can’t keep a clean sheet. They all played OK individually (with Yiadom and NGW creating some of our better chances) but they don’t cope with crosses. We don’t close them down enough and we don’t pick up our men. Communication amongst the back four seems to be lacking (Yiadom’s reaction to their goal was telling; didn’t seem to be a call of a player behind him). Opposition managers will be aware of just how poorly organised we are from crosses and adjust accordingly. It needs to be sorted out and quickly although there’s scope for Dean to improve us in that regard

Pleased to see us engage in a higher press but need to be more clever with it. Worked well for the first 30 but they began to pick us off and we didn’t adjust. It won’t work if you only have the front 3/4 players pressing up and everyone else sitting back. Needs to be implemented through the whole team.

Promising signs overall. Fair amount to be worked on (as expected) but it’s all about building a solid base at this stage and incrementally improving

Delboy

by Delboy » 07 Aug 2023 07:46

Anyone know the attendance Saturday not in any papers looked around 12000

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Aug 2023 08:09

Is Vickers a local boy or another one we've picked up off the circuit of London clubs? Would expect him to have a season of cameos at best, but impress in the Pizza trophy and he will get chances. Guess it depends upon recruitment - I would hope that we strengthen in his position

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Aug 2023 08:29

Delboy Anyone know the attendance Saturday not in any papers looked around 12000

just under 14,000 I believe

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Aug 2023 08:38

WestYorksRoyal Is Vickers a local boy or another one we've picked up off the circuit of London clubs? Would expect him to have a season of cameos at best, but impress in the Pizza trophy and he will get chances. Guess it depends upon recruitment - I would hope that we strengthen in his position

I think he has been with the RFC academy for some years- cannot find anything to the contrary .

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Aug 2023 08:40

I know people get very hung up on formations but Saturday was a 4-4-2 in my opinion (not 4-2-2-2 or whatever others have been describing).

Liked the look of Knibbs but he's not used to playing wide - you could see in his positioning, especially defensively, and always wanted to come inside. When Ehib came off I was hoping Knibbs was going to play in behind Carroll, but he got moved to the right instead.

For me, we need another playmaker in midfield, and definitely two players one comfortable playing wide right and one playing wide left. The difference between the two sides was their wide attacking threat compared to our lack. Azeez was uninspiring and thought Hutch was dire. Rushesha looks no more than a squad player and not convinced by Hutch's performance. I think Ejaria could be a decent wide left option should he ever get back fit as he is much more used to the tracking back aspect.

Loved Mbengue's cameo though. What great energy.

I think we'll win more than we lose even if we don't sign many more players.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Aug 2023 08:44

URZZZZ Started well but you have to take your chances whilst on top. Allowed them a foothold in the game from one of our own set pieces and a poor clearance from Savage. Gave them confidence and they stopped making such basic errors

Voiced a concern that this defence simply can’t keep a clean sheet. They all played OK individually (with Yiadom and NGW creating some of our better chances) but they don’t cope with crosses. We don’t close them down enough and we don’t pick up our men. Communication amongst the back four seems to be lacking (Yiadom’s reaction to their goal was telling; didn’t seem to be a call of a player behind him). Opposition managers will be aware of just how poorly organised we are from crosses and adjust accordingly. It needs to be sorted out and quickly although there’s scope for Dean to improve us in that regard

Pleased to see us engage in a higher press but need to be more clever with it. Worked well for the first 30 but they began to pick us off and we didn’t adjust. It won’t work if you only have the front 3/4 players pressing up and everyone else sitting back. Needs to be implemented through the whole team.

Promising signs overall. Fair amount to be worked on (as expected) but it’s all about building a solid base at this stage and incrementally improving

Agree on the defence bit, think they are all individually solid enough, but it doesn't seem to work collectively. We either need to change an individual or two somewhere or we need to see a significant improvement from what we have in certain areas. You'd suspect that would be coming from Holmes, McIntyre or NGW. Our CB's need to be able to read the game better for me.

On the forward line, I think that will come with time. Tailed off towards the end, probably not quite up to speed yet either with a dodgy pre-season for the team in general, most probably weren't 100% sharp, we should get that over the next couple of games.

Will maintain that our season may not properly take off until the start of September. Although we do have a favourable set of fixtures, so a chance to build confidence.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 07 Aug 2023 17:50

My lad is already in league one mode.

Just in the garden now banging them in against Port Vale.

He's Andy Caroll atm....bless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2023 17:51

Dave the rave My lad is already in league one mode.

So he's not banging many in then.... :wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Aug 2023 18:40

Hope he stays injury free.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 08 Aug 2023 13:01

Snowflake Royal

So he's not banging many in then.... :wink:

In his imagination we win 4 nil :lol:

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 08 Aug 2023 13:44

Do you have to stand at one end of the garden and launch aimless hoofs (hooves? hoovi?) in his general direction?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Aug 2023 14:25

JedMaxwell

Do you have to stand at one end of the garden and launch aimless hoofs (hooves? hoovi?) in his general direction?

Hoofs would be correct, but it’s informal anyway.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 08 Aug 2023 15:07

CountryRoyal
JedMaxwell

Hoofs would be correct, but it’s informal anyway.

I do but not too aimless. Not to mention the pens competitions et al.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Aug 2023 11:49

Was a bit disappointed that Peterborough didn't go down to 10 men but at least Andresson and Boyce-Clarke signed new contracts yesterday. On the RFC website.