BFTG Peterborough

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Peterborough

by Sutekh » 05 Aug 2023 17:50

Excellent first half. Unlucky to concede an utterly freak goal but is just typical of Reading's luck at the moment. 'Boro weren't all that.

Still sat here in Coppell's Corner waiting for the team to appear for the second half though :wink:

Yiadom was superb, Azeez plenty of work but still naff all end product, E-hib is so damn wasteful though, should have scored twice really!

Savage did well, couple of foul ups but did well to try and recover the situation. Very impressed with Cayden Vickers.

Issues are that the club just do not create enough clear cut chances and when they do the players get sod all breaks going for them.

Lastly I thought the referee was atrocious I do hope he is not the standard of what we're going to have to put up with this season. For older fans he reminded of our once great nemesis Paul Rejer.

Plenty of hope and with another 2 or 3 signings (really need another striker) and more work together we could be challenging.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Peterborough

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 18:29

Enjoyed that. Good first half, weak 2nd, a break and excellent header the difference. If we'd taken a chance would have been different.

Bouzanis - didn’t look like he had a chance on the goal, one great save and some iffy distribution. Ok
Yiadom - typical Andy, energy, crunch and effort. Good.
NGW - weak defensively, some good balls in. What we expect from him on the whole. Decent.
Holmes - rarely looked troubled to be honest. Good.
McIntyre - same. Came forward a few times. Good.
Hutch - didn't notice him a lot first half, but put some crunching challenges in. Decent.
Savage - Tidy. Looks like he'll put the work in, but not sure he'll do much damage. Decent.
Azeez - gets invovled well, but seems to make the wrong decision all the time. Ok
Knibbs - good work rate, tidy in attack, steals it well, but beaten down the flank a bit too much. Not really a winger. Good.
Carroll - with his experience, you rely on him to take his chances. He didn’t. Expected him to dominate the CBs more too. Ok.
Ehibhatiomham - definition of mixed. Some really great interplay, running, work and touches. Some quite poor passes and a senior player probably would have scored, although they may not have got in for some of his nearly moments. Ok.

Mbengue - love him. Not a full back. Please stop it.
Wing - looked a bit off the pace, not sure he should be playing left wing.
Vickers - too far away to judge really. Was it him offside a lot?
Camara - not hugely involved in his cameo.
Rushesha - busy as usual. Something about him.just doesn’t do it for me... we'll see.

Selles - not convinced by the shape. Midfield was rather empty and bypassed at times. But a good performance first half and some decent football. Less CBs passing with the GK please.

Ref - I thought he was ok. Couple of decisions that with RTGs I thought were poor. But thought he probably got quite a lot of what he got stick for right. No big decision errors imo.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Aug 2023 19:02

I'm wondering when we are going to get a break. We didn't deserve that result today.

We had 3 or 4 good chances and their keeper kept them in it. They had one decent shot that was saved and scored from a half chance.

The footballing gods have it in for us - along with the ref - clearly hadn't read the directive of not giving free kicks for players falling over (except our of course).
Last edited by PieEater on 05 Aug 2023 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Aug 2023 19:03

Keeper & defence - decent. Should be fine for this level. Really liked the look of Mbuenge when he came on, mainly as he wanted to go forward. Might be better as a winger.

Midfield - was ok, lacking ideas going forward though. Thought Hutchinson was maybe the best player today. His replacement was way off it. Thought Savage made a number of errors and looked a bit panicked at times. Young player on his debut though, get a few more games in and see how he is when settled down. Reckon he should do just fine.

Attack - pretty non existent. Carroll too slow to do anything other than be a target man for headers now, and he wasn't particularly good at that. #15 was shockingly bad, was like he had never seen a football before. Azeez also pretry woeful. Really liked the cameo from the kid Vickers at the end though! Hope he gets more game time

All in all a decent performance against one of the Divs better teams, loads of positives to take, crowd were decent, and we have more players to come in as well.

Result 3/10
Performance 7.5/10
Vibe 8/10
Last edited by Winston Biscuit on 05 Aug 2023 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2023 19:05

Started well. We got worse. Second half was poor. We needed someone to gamble in the box.

I have no idea what to make of us.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:08

New season, new league and records broken already. First time we've lost at home to Peterborough at the SCL/Madejski.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Aug 2023 19:12

I quite like rushesha you know.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:14

Winston Biscuit Keeper & defence - decent. Should be fine for this level. Really liked the look of Mbuenge when he came on, mainly as he wanted to go forward. Might be better as a winger.

Midfield - was ok, lacking ideas going forward though. Thought Hutchinson was maybe the best player today. His replacement was way off it. Thought Savage made a number of errors and looked a bit panicked at times. Young player on his debut though, get a few more games in and see how he is when settled down. Reckon he should do just fine.

Attack - pretty non existent. Carroll too slow to do anything other than be a target man for headers now, and he wasn't particularly good at that. #15 was shockingly bad, was like he had never seen a football before. Azeez also pretry woeful. Really liked the cameo from the kid Vickers at the end though! Hope he gets more game time

All in all a decent performance against one of the Divs better teams, loads of positives to take, crowd were decent, and we have more players to come in as well.

Result 3/10
Performance 7.5/10
Vibe 8/10

I want to see Tom Holmes and McIntyre play more first before deciding if league one is their level. I don't rate either player unfortunately despite their local sentiment.

Good effort today, first half we should have been ahead not behind. Second half was very poor. We won't get top 6 unless we recruit very well. Thought a draw was a fair result. Not happy losing to Peterborough at home though, if that happened in the championship there would be a meltdown.

As said in another thread today shows what the club means to a lot of fans and that's very little. Dai Yongge was there today and only 200 fans including me actually stayed in for a bit. Should have been more there.

Next time do the protest before the game and see if that does anything

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:15

CountryRoyal I quite like rushesha you know.

He looked tidy I must say!

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 05 Aug 2023 19:20

Snowflake Royal Enjoyed that. Good first half, weak 2nd, a break and excellent header the difference. If we'd taken a chance would have been different.

Bouzanis - didn’t look like he had a chance on the goal, one great save and some iffy distribution. Ok
NGW - weak defensively, some good balls in. What we expect from him on the whole. Decent.
Hutch - didn't notice him a lot first half, but put some crunching challenges in. Decent.
Savage - Tidy. Looks like he'll put the work in, but not sure he'll do much damage. Decent.
Azeez - gets invovled well, but seems to make the wrong decision all the time. Ok
Knibbs - good work rate, tidy in attack, steals it well, but beaten down the flank a bit too much. Not really a winger. Good.
Carroll - with his experience, you rely on him to take his chances. He didn’t. Expected him to dominate the CBs more too. Ok.
Ehibhatiomham - definition of mixed. Some really great interplay, running, work and touches. Some quite poor passes and a senior player probably would have scored, although they may not have got in for some of his nearly moments. Ok.

Rushesha - busy as usual. Something about him.just doesn’t do it for me... we'll see.

Selles - not convinced by the shape. Midfield was rather empty and bypassed at times. But a good performance first half and some decent football. Less CBs passing with the GK please.

Ref - I thought he was ok. Couple of decisions that with RTGs I thought were poor. But thought he probably got quite a lot of what he got stick for right. No big decision errors imo.

Hi Snowflake,
I think Selles prefers 4-2-3-1 as a formation, however, with Smith being out injured i don't think we have the forwards to play that position. I would like to see Mbengue given a go in the DM position as he is a good defensive player and has bags of speed and energy and could be a menace breaking forward!

I would be inclined to try 4-2-3-1 against Port Vale next weekend.

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

Dean will give much needed experience to the back four. Hutch and Mbengue is a pretty intimidating DM partnership at this level, and Wing, Savage and Knibbs give us a young, mobile and talented AM three who all should be able to chip in with some much needed goals to assist the striker.
Smith would be the ideal forward, but he's now out for 6 weeks!! So unless we get that chap "Stansfield" in i would go with Azeez as he has the pace and running ability to scare defense's and next up is Port Vale who conceded 7 today!! Kelvin.E and Carroll would be great to bring on later on in the game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 19:30

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal Enjoyed that. Good first half, weak 2nd, a break and excellent header the difference. If we'd taken a chance would have been different.

Hi Snowflake,
I think Selles prefers 4-2-3-1 as a formation, however, with Smith being out injured i don't think we have the forwards to play that position. I would like to see Mbengue given a go in the DM position as he is a good defensive player and has bags of speed and energy and could be a menace breaking forward!

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

Dean will give much needed experience to the back four. Hutch and Mbengue is a pretty intimidating DM partnership at this level, and Wing, Savage and Knibbs give us a young, mobile and talented AM three who all should be able to chip in with some much needed goals to assist the striker.
Smith would be the ideal forward, but he's now out for 6 weeks!! So unless we get that chap "Stansfield" in i would go with Azeez as he has the pace and running ability to scare defense's and next up is Port Vale who conceded 7 today!! Kelvin.E and Carroll would be great to bring on later on in the game.

First priority for me is some continuity. I want to see that XI start the next two games at least, bringing on the subs regularly.

Selles may like a different formation, but I don’t think we have the players fit to play it.

I want to see Mbengue at CB, where he's looked best and provides our slow central defence some pace. But the Toms have the shirts. Dean should wait his chance now.

I want to see midfielders in midfield, playing like midfielders.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:42

Not Selles' fault but it again smells like we're signing players without consideration to how it fits Selles' style. He deserves better than that

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:44

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Hi Snowflake,

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

First priority for me is some continuity. I want to see that XI start the next two games at least, bringing on the subs regularly.

Selles may like a different formation, but I don’t think we have the players fit to play it.

I want to see Mbengue at CB, where he's looked best and provides our slow central defence some pace. But the Toms have the shirts. Dean should wait his chance now.

Then why is he manager unless he can adapt which most managers won't

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:46

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Hi Snowflake,

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

Then why is he manager unless he can adapt which most managers won't

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2023 19:51

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Hi Snowflake,

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

Are you happy your local Cambridgeshire side beat us today Ian? First win at the SCL and all. League one hasn't been better for us at all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 19:58

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753
Hi Snowflake,

New Keeper

Yiadom Holmes Dean NGW

Hutchinson Mbengue

Wing Savage Knibbs

Azeez

Are you happy your local Cambridgeshire side beat us today Ian? First win at the SCL and all. League one hasn't been better for us at all.

Grow up you infant.

Peterborough isn't my local Cambridgeshire team. :roll:

I've prefered it so far.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2023 19:59

Seems fairly encouraging in places. Have to remember Carroll, Yiadom, Wing, Mbengueand Hutch have barely had a pre-season. They’ll all get better

Do feel getting in striker (Stansfield for example) is vital in the next few days with Smith out

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Aug 2023 20:14

Yeah it’s deffo been preferable imo. Like we still lost and didn’t score but at least we looked like we were trying to win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2023 20:16

CountryRoyal Yeah it’s deffo been preferable imo. Like we still lost and didn’t score but at least we looked like we were trying to win.

Arguably deserved a draw against one of the top teams, despite a shambolic preseason.

Just think were we could be with an owner that paid the bills so we had Wilder in charge and a pre-season with timely signings.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Aug 2023 20:18

Hound Do feel getting in striker (Stansfield for example) is vital in the next few days with Smith out

+1 but who knows, Carroll, Ehibatiomhan, Azeez and Knibbs could turn into league one goal scoring sensations… I won’t hold my breath though.