MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (a)

272 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (a)

by NathStPaul » 09 Aug 2023 09:07

I don't think anyone sensible is writing them off as such but I think it is important for them to know they are replaceable and need to perform on a regular basis to be picked. Having to win their places back will help them long term imo.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 09:22

Snowflake Royal I think people are writing off Holmes and McIntyre way too soon. It's not like either were at fault for the one Posh goal.

That was Knibbs/NGW and Yiadom.

I'm not writing off, but I don't think the past 18 months or so has been good for their development. Consistently losing, part of a disorganised backline. Perhaps picking Dean and Abbey and challenging them to compete for their position is good for them. Takes pressure off too. All players have peaks and troughs - these two are in a trough right now. I still think they should ultimately be good enough for careers in the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 09:25

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal I think people are writing off Holmes and McIntyre way too soon. It's not like either were at fault for the one Posh goal.

I'm not writing off, but I don't think the past 18 months or so has been good for their development. Consistently losing, part of a disorganised backline. Perhaps picking Dean and Abbey and challenging them to compete for their position is good for them. Takes pressure off too. All players have peaks and troughs - these two are in a trough right now. I still think they should ultimately be good enough for careers in the Championship.

There was a lot of chat after Posh about them being poor. Not singling you out or saying it was you.

I don't think they were the main problem in previous seasons anyway. Don’t rate them as a pairing, but thought they looked fairly comfortable vs Posh and deserve more games at this level before dropping.

Do want to see sub and cup games for Abbey and Dean though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Aug 2023 09:27

I think they have to be broken up as a pair. I didn’t see Peterboro but they were hopeless in the friendlies.

Would go Holmes/Abbey for this. Would also go Carson > NGW

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 09:29

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal

There was a lot of chat after Posh about them being poor. Not singling you out or saying it was you.

I don't think they were the main problem in previous seasons anyway. Don’t rate them as a pairing, but thought they looked fairly comfortable vs Posh and deserve more games at this level before dropping.

Thing is, you don't get many sub opportunities as a CB. If you want to give a young player the chance to come on and change the game, they will be an attacking player. CBs only come on for injury or high pressure situations trying to hang on to a lead or point. And we only have 4 or 5 cup games a season.

Abbey could not have done any more to get selected on Saturday. He would fully deserve it in my view.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2023 09:34

Have to agree that the time to split Holmes/McIntyre is pretty much here but also that they didn't exactly play badly on Saturday - defence needs a refresh and with a new GK almost certain to come in shortly, switching one of them out makes sense. I doubt Dean was brought in to sit on the bench and Abbey's performance has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons as well.

It's actually nice to be talking about options, when over the past 2 years (if not more) the XI picked itself and no matter what the results, never really changed throughout a campaign.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 09 Aug 2023 09:44

Part of Tmac and Holmes problem is how slowly they release the ball. Probably is down to confidence.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Aug 2023 09:54

The guy who scored twice with a wi-fi password as a name must start. Carroll to be benched please.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Aug 2023 09:57

Royal_jimmy The guy who scored twice with a wi-fi password as a name must start. Carroll to be benched please.

He has a non-English name that needs to be mocked according to you? Wow.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Aug 2023 10:08

Royal_jimmy The guy who scored twice with a wi-fi password as a name must start. Carroll to be benched please.

Eh1bati0Mh4n

Got to get that printed on a shirt, though I suspect he actually has Kelvin on his.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Aug 2023 10:09

NathStPaul

He has a non-English name that needs to be mocked according to you? Wow.

See the opposition fans thread, it's a comment by a Millwall fan:

Can’t believe a Wi-Fi password scored two against us

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Aug 2023 10:11

Ah that makes more sense, expect that from them. Apologies Jimmy.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Aug 2023 10:18

On the striker front, wasn't Knibbs a striker at Cambridge? Could we push him up next to Ehibhatiomhan and put someone else in midfield/on the wing? Personally, given Vickers has been involved in so much that is good, I'd give him the nod, with a plan to bring him off after 60 mins so as not to overstretch him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 10:38

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I'm not writing off, but I don't think the past 18 months or so has been good for their development. Consistently losing, part of a disorganised backline. Perhaps picking Dean and Abbey and challenging them to compete for their position is good for them. Takes pressure off too. All players have peaks and troughs - these two are in a trough right now. I still think they should ultimately be good enough for careers in the Championship.

Thing is, you don't get many sub opportunities as a CB. If you want to give a young player the chance to come on and change the game, they will be an attacking player. CBs only come on for injury or high pressure situations trying to hang on to a lead or point. And we only have 4 or 5 cup games a season.

Abbey could not have done any more to get selected on Saturday. He would fully deserve it in my view.

Assuming(!) We have a semi decent season there will be games where we're comfortably winning and you can make a CB sub. There will also be games where we're hanging on and you bring one in.

Abbey can get some time at fullback too.

And there are bound to be injuries/loss of form across the season. Too early to throw him in starting in the league. But that opportunity could come in a couple more games quite easily if the Toms struggle.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 10:39

He's started both games this season and several preseason :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 10:40

rabidbee On the striker front, wasn't Knibbs a striker at Cambridge? Could we push him up next to Ehibhatiomhan and put someone else in midfield/on the wing? Personally, given Vickers has been involved in so much that is good, I'd give him the nod, with a plan to bring him off after 60 mins so as not to overstretch him.

This comes up a lot. He wasn't.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2023 10:44

Snowflake Royal
rabidbee On the striker front, wasn't Knibbs a striker at Cambridge? Could we push him up next to Ehibhatiomhan and put someone else in midfield/on the wing? Personally, given Vickers has been involved in so much that is good, I'd give him the nod, with a plan to bring him off after 60 mins so as not to overstretch him.

He was more of a wide forward wasn't he? who played the odd game up front if needed.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Aug 2023 10:45

Oh, fair enough. I may have made the mistake of relying upon Dellor as a source.

As you were, then.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Aug 2023 10:49

Snowflake Royal

Reading have 3 strikers; Andy Carroll, Kelvin WiFi and Sam Smith. Smith is injured until late September so as Selles generally plays two strikers then it'll be WiFi and Carroll (unless Walcott and/or Stansfield sign at some point).

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Aug 2023 11:00

Snowflake Royal

He's started both games this season and several preseason :|

I meant up top on his own

272 posts