272 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (a)

by Sutekh » 08 Aug 2023 13:46

When : Saturday August 12 2023, 3pm
Where : Vale Park, Hamil Road, Burslem, Stoke on Trent, ST6 1AW
Capacity : 15,036

Relegation might of happened but it doesn't mean you get out of a day trip to Stoke! Though now the opponents play in black and white, rather than red and white, and have a much more traditional football ground than the plastic meccano set owned by their more illustrious neighbours.

Doesn't mean either that the game will be any easier to win or even entertaining esp. given Reading's dreadful state off the pitch that has led to an appalling preseason. Add to that a Port Vale side that were destroyed 7-0 at Barnsley last week, meaning their players are going to be on the back of a rollicking and desperate to show that they are a decent team. Hopefully some of that will have been lessened by their LC tie with Fleetwood in midweek.

Port Vale have been really busy over the summer, first manager Darren Clarke was replaced by Andy Crosby then 10 new signings were made, among them the highly regarded Ethan Chislett and Mitch Clark and also loanees Oliver Arsblaster and Kofi Balmer from PL clubs.

The Valiants have just 1 win in their last 7 league games but that is form Reading can only dream of given their 0 wins in 14 league attempts but at least there is some vague hope in the Reading camp, after a thoroughly decent first half v Peterborough, and if the club have managed a few more new faces and some decent time together on the training field then maybe the club can turn a corner. And that would be a real achievement with not only zero wins in 14 league games but also zero wins away from home since 12 November last year.

Reading will be without Sam Smith and Ovie Ejaria though injury and hopefully no-one will go down with anything after the Millwall game which would make for an amazing turn around in the treatment room after the last few seasons.

Lastly, if Reading fail to win this game then the club will have a new club record for succesive league games without a win.

Referee

Peter Wright

Previously

No previous fixtures

Historically

Record at Vale Park is not too bad with 8 wins to date from 30 games, however the Vale have won 16 so is a tricky place to go if you're not quite on the ball. However Reading have won 2 and drawn 1 of their last 3 visits and haven't conceded a goal in that time so there is quite something to live up to for the club and if they manage to improve that recent run further then it can only show the club are on the right track on the pitch at last.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (a)

by Hound » 08 Aug 2023 13:52

Oliver Arsblaster? Really?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Aug 2023 13:55

Hound Oliver Arsblaster? Really?

Thought I was reading Viz for a moment there!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Aug 2023 13:59

I believe it is Arblaster.

Still a ridiculous name though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Aug 2023 14:00

morganb

Getting an insight into Sutekh’s autocorrect I think

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2023 14:11

Barnsley smashed them down the flanks with pace and great crosses.

We won't do that.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 08 Aug 2023 15:11

morganb

Had to check Google myself.
Arsblaster is better.

Nice write up as always, Sutekh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Aug 2023 07:47

Well Selles has given himself a massive headache for this one hasn’t he?

Keep the same back 4 that kept its first clean sheet for god knows how long? Hutch and Carroll or young quick players? Too early for Dean and Wing?

No idea what he’ll do

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 08:17

Agree. I still don't think the performance against Posh was bad and whilst I've always wanted the Academy lads to be given chances, I'm still keen to see them phased in gently.

If I was coach, I'd be talking to my first XI and saying the rest of the squad just put you all under pressure. You need to go out and perform and get results, because if you don’t they've shown they're ready to do it. None of you have a guaranteed place now. You won't be dropped for making a mistake, but you will be if you don’t perform.

Then I'd give the team vs Posh another go. But ready for quick changes for the likes of Vickers for Carroll, Camara for Azeez, Rushesha or Wing for Hutch and Abbey for Holmes/McIntyre if things don’t look good.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Aug 2023 08:25

Suspect we will put a different team out to last night, but certainly some members of the squad worthy of a squad place, at minimum. I'd probably keep Kelvin E in the team in all honesty, maybe one of the CB's as well.

Anticipate that someone like Dean will probably come in for this game, along with whoever the goalkeeper will be come Saturday.

If we can avoid it, I don't really want Carroll starting, I think the whole team looks better without him and obviously he's not suited to chasing after defenders either.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 08:26

Looking forward to all the different line up predictions here. Performances last night are hard to overlook. We may get 1 or 2 more players in ahead of the game, but based on what we have now:

Bouzanis
Yiadom Holmes Abbey Carson
Savage Wing
Azeez Knibbs
Ehib Vickers

But you could have so many different line ups. I don't think Carroll is suited to what Selles is trying to achieve if I'm honest - have him on the bench as plan B.

And calls will need to be made on the readiness of Dean and Wing from training, so hard to call those positions too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2023 08:37

Looking at the highlights of Vale's win v Fleetwood last night, both the goals they conceded came from corners and we saw on Saturday that they can't deal with crosses - so set pieces will be key at the weekend and we should be looking to get balls into the box early from wide positions. This may lend itself to Carroll starting but think we'd be better off with him coming off the bench for the last 30 if needed. Would be tempted to stick with last nights front 2 and see how that goes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Aug 2023 08:44

Ehib is a certainty

I think he’ll go back to Carroll. Vickers looks quality but still fear he looks like a 15 year old kid - think he may need to be handled carefully

Agree Carroll probably isn’t first choice in his plans longer term but until we get another body in or Smith fit I think he’ll likely start. Jahmari could be another option (not for this game though)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Aug 2023 08:46

Hound Ehib is a certainty

I think he’ll go back to Carroll. Vickers looks quality but still fear he looks like a 15 year old kid - think he may need to be handled carefully

Agree Carroll probably isn’t first choice in his plans longer term but until we get another body in or Smith fit I think he’ll likely start. Jahmari could be another option (not for this game though)

Agree on Vickers and I would agree that it is too soon to start him, 30 minute 2nd half appearances in the league will be fine for a couple of months.

I'd 100% be playing Kelvin E, Bindon and Abbey though.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 09 Aug 2023 08:47, edited 2 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2023 08:46

Forgot about Clarke, can see him going on loan again if and when fully fit - esp if we do get another striker in, looks like Vickers has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order - if all fit, he's probably 5th choice now, even without another signing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Aug 2023 08:49

Stranded

Forgot about Clarke, can see him going on loan again if and when fully fit - esp if we do get another striker in, looks like Vickers has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order - if all fit, he's probably 5th choice now, even without another signing.

Difficult to say - depends what level in training. Maybe a lazy comment but he looks a direct replacement for Ehibhatiomhan if/when he gets injured. I’d keep him around til Jan at least

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 08:53

Abbey is a must for me, especially if Dean isn't yet ready. We've been so poor defensively for about 2 years. To be made captain of a young side, keep a clean sheet against Championship opposition and put in an excellent individual performance has to be rewarded. Would be an outrage if those who have spent 2 years gifting goals get picked ahead of him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2023 08:55

WestYorksRoyal Abbey is a must for me, especially if Dean isn't yet ready. We've been so poor defensively for about 2 years. To be made captain of a young side, keep a clean sheet against Championship opposition and put in an excellent individual performance has to be rewarded. Would be an outrage if those who have spent 2 years gifting goals get picked ahead of him.

Abbey is the one who will be putting most pressure on Selles thought process for Saturday - defence needs a refresh - would be tempted to pair Abbey with Holmes with Dean any TMc on the bench - the latter can offer cover as a DM as well if needed.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Aug 2023 09:00

WestYorksRoyal Abbey is a must for me, especially if Dean isn't yet ready. We've been so poor defensively for about 2 years. To be made captain of a young side, keep a clean sheet against Championship opposition and put in an excellent individual performance has to be rewarded. Would be an outrage if those who have spent 2 years gifting goals get picked ahead of him.

Going forward I'd like a CB partnership of Dean and Abbey with Dean taking the captain's armband.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2023 09:04

I think people are writing off Holmes and McIntyre way too soon. It's not like either were at fault for the one Posh goal.

That was Knibbs/NGW and Yiadom.

272 posts