Where does Carroll rank in worst ever signings?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Where does Carroll rank in worst ever signings?

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 17:23

I get it, this is a ridiculous question. He was 2nd top scorer last year. Aluko, Puscas, Fae and others all cost a lot of money and provided little. But our team has been so shit with him in it. A head on a stick to punt it to. Whenever things get rocky, the team defaults to a useless long ball tactic.

For all the chat of reset and recruitment, we're never going to move forward while he starts. He has to drop to 4th or 5th choice.

I'm not suggesting at all we'd have stayed up last season without him. We were in dire straits. But his presence allows the team a way out of being brave on the ball. A clear anti football option to default to.

For this reason, he is definitely in the conversation for our worst signing in my view. It's scapegoating, but I'm not criticising his individual performances. I'm criticising the effect his presence has on the team
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 12 Aug 2023 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where does Carroll rank in worst ever signings?

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2023 17:24

He shouldn't be anywhere near such a conversation.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2023 17:30

Agree with Ian. The issue is largely with the idiots we've had employed as managers.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Aug 2023 17:31

Yeah, not even close.

I can understand your concern to an extent, but you’ve got to ask yourself what the alternative is - it’s probably “hoof it to Ehibhationham”.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 12 Aug 2023 17:45

:|

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Aug 2023 18:21

Absolutely nowhere.

It's like the original poster hasn't watched a single a Reading game prior to May 2023.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Aug 2023 18:29

I blame the systems and tactics rather than Carroll.

Yan kermogant was a similar player to Carroll and we played to his strengths. If we set ourselves up like we did with kermogant, Carroll would be a different player.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 18:46

I just don't think the system suits Andy Carroll at all.

He should be a bench option really if we need a goal. He shouldn't be starting games. We need Sam Smith back ASAP as I reckon him and Ehibatiomhan could work well together.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Aug 2023 20:08

He doesn't rank anywhere near one of the worst signings ever. The only thing I'd take on board from the OP is that he probably doesn't have a great effect on the team because of the type of forward he is. But that's not his fault if we don't play a way that suits him.

I always believe you should play to the strengths of your CF and attacking players, as those are the players who win you games. We don't do that with Carroll and I suspect he won't be starting if we bring someone else in and/or we get Sam Smith fit again. He should be used as an option, rather then the focal point in our team, because at the moment it isn't working.

retro royal

by retro royal » 12 Aug 2023 22:11

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Aug 2023 23:47

Kick him out the door now

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 23:48

We're his retirement pay cheque

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Aug 2023 00:29

retro royal Seems like he's off the rails again

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23465381 ... ancing-dj/

Not reading that tosh but also worth remembering his son was recently diagnosed with diabetes type 1 I think. Footballers are people too. Think he and we could benefit from him starting on the bench tbh.

I really don’t think he’s suited to this style but even the stuff he should be good at, he’s naff at the moment. Even though the penalty should have clearly been retaken, it was awful… such a comfortable height. Never really looked like having a shot on target from open play.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Aug 2023 05:53

Royal_jimmy We're his retirement pay cheque

:lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Aug 2023 07:38

Orion1871
Royal_jimmy We're his retirement pay cheque

:lol:

I’m hoping that wasn’t a serious comment

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 13 Aug 2023 08:28

Ridiculous post

Don’t have to be a brain surgeon to see what his attributes are, and in League 1 if utilised properly he would be a serious asset.

Yesterday he was poor, missed pen, being pulled all over the place but even with 5 mins to go did we send one diagonal ball into him. He’s never going to press.

The equivalent is starting Vickers up top Tuesday night and just pumping it long to him all night to win balls in the air and hold it up - where it obviously isn’t his game.

Carroll isn’t the scape goat for me.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Aug 2023 09:46

hughsies no.1 Ridiculous post

Don’t have to be a brain surgeon to see what his attributes are, and in League 1 if utilised properly he would be a serious asset.

Yesterday he was poor, missed pen, being pulled all over the place but even with 5 mins to go did we send one diagonal ball into him. He’s never going to press.

The equivalent is starting Vickers up top Tuesday night and just pumping it long to him all night to win balls in the air and hold it up - where it obviously isn’t his game.

Carroll isn’t the escapegoat for me.

Corrected for you.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Aug 2023 10:30

As other posters have said there have been hundreds if not thousands worse than him and plenty of those cost significant amounts of money.
To the OP just remember where we are.
A club looking for loans and freebies last season and this so who better could we have got.?

Sam Smith is already becoming a better player the longer he is out and much is expected of little and large (Vickers and Ehib) who are very much novices.

If we are going to play Carroll as a regular starter we desperately need speedy wide men to provide crosses-Azeez doesn't strike me as one of the answers, Knibbs might be.

If we are going to play differently without him as the focal point we could do worse than use him as a centre-back where I feel he could be outstanding-exceptional in the air, a better touch than most centre-backs and a strong tackler .
Maybe lacking in pace but the other options there are hardly speedsters.

Let's hope that the anticipated signings that Selles has gone on about provide some better options all over the pitch as, at the moment, we really are not very good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2023 10:42

South Coast Royal As other posters have said there have been hundreds if not thousands worse than him and plenty of those cost significant amounts of money.
To the OP just remember where we are.
A club looking for loans and freebies last season and this so who better could we have got.?

Sam Smith is already becoming a better player the longer he is out and much is expected of little and large (Vickers and Ehib) who are very much novices.

If we are going to play Carroll as a regular starter we desperately need speedy wide men to provide crosses-Azeez doesn't strike me as one of the answers, Knibbs might be.

If we are going to play differently without him as the focal point we could do worse than use him as a centre-back where I feel he could be outstanding-exceptional in the air, a better touch than most centre-backs and a strong tackler .
Maybe lacking in pace but the other options there are hardly speedsters.

Let's hope that the anticipated signings that Selles has gone on about provide some better options all over the pitch as, at the moment, we really are not very good.

If we want to play Carroll, we should be playing NGW and Camara at the wings imo. NGW in particular is always looking to go past his man and cross or pull back.

I think Carroll just doesn’t have the legs for it anymore. And CBs are more agricultural bruisers at this level. Carroll has a reputation of being very physical and aggressive so refs are just not going to give him much. Strikers already come off worse in those battles generally because its less game changing to give a defensive freekick than an offensive one in shooting/crossing range or a penalty.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 13 Aug 2023 11:31

Not the worst signing but get rid of him