BFTG Port Vale

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Port Vale

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 21:21

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal You had hoped that this sorry lot would still be good enough at this level but that looks so far from reality.

I’m done with the whole defence, how was Yiadom one of the higher rated RBs in the championship once - utterly woeful. Tmac and Holmes both toilet, NGW ok going forward but atrociously delivery.

Hutch is crap and a liability. Carroll should be dropped, getting bullied by shit league one defenders. Should have had loads of free kicks but he doesn’t do enough.

Why did Selles take Ehib off? He looked our most likely option of getting in behind.

Button looked shaky and it’s obviously a bad goal to concede but shout out to the 4 “fans” that went down to the goal to berate him, really well done. 2 40-50 year olds and 2 children wearing those horrifical hoodies with the mask glasses sowed in. That’s one “fashion” thing which needs to die a death. But yeah I was gobsmacked, the abuse (one of the older blokes in particular - shit hat and shit tats) given to your own player on his debut was truly pathetic. Though I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised when his life’s achievement was probably fathering a walking asbo.

Even when we signed Yiadom he'd just been relegated with Barnsley, so not exactly ever had a winning mentality.

And to your other points, our fans really are a special bunch. Chants of "you're not fit to wear the shirt", even if it wasn't aimed at them specifically, half the team that finished were youngsters. Then you've got people on twitter telling lifelong Reading fans McIntyre and Holmes to GET OUT OF MY CLUB.

Extreme but I see the frustration and share it. I don't care if they're academy products, they've both got away with too many poor performances the last couple of years and I don't really get what attributes they bring to the team. Neither can defend. They've not been good enough and some criticism is due. They're both supposed to be improving as they're still quite young but they've regressed like Yiadom has. They are losing mentality players. Maybe bad coaching hasn't helped them but the mistakes they made today were school boy and unacceptable.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 12 Aug 2023 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Aug 2023 21:25

Royal_jimmy
Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal You had hoped that this sorry lot would still be good enough at this level but that looks so far from reality.

I’m done with the whole defence, how was Yiadom one of the higher rated RBs in the championship once - utterly woeful. Tmac and Holmes both toilet, NGW ok going forward but atrociously delivery.

Hutch is crap and a liability. Carroll should be dropped, getting bullied by shit league one defenders. Should have had loads of free kicks but he doesn’t do enough.

Why did Selles take Ehib off? He looked our most likely option of getting in behind.

Button looked shaky and it’s obviously a bad goal to concede but shout out to the 4 “fans” that went down to the goal to berate him, really well done. 2 40-50 year olds and 2 children wearing those horrifical hoodies with the mask glasses sowed in. That’s one “fashion” thing which needs to die a death. But yeah I was gobsmacked, the abuse (one of the older blokes in particular - shit hat and shit tats) given to your own player on his debut was truly pathetic. Though I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised when his life’s achievement was probably fathering a walking asbo.

Even when we signed Yiadom he'd just been relegated with Barnsley, so not exactly ever had a winning mentality.

And to your other points, our fans really are a special bunch. Chants of "you're not fit to wear the shirt", even if it wasn't aimed at them specifically, half the team that finished were youngsters. Then you've got people on twitter telling lifelong Reading fans McIntyre and Holmes to GET OUT OF MY CLUB.

Extreme but I see the frustration and share it. I don't care if they're academy products and they've both got away with too many poor performances the last couple of years. They've not been good enough and some criticism is due. They're both supposed to be improving but they've regressed like Yiadom has. They are losing mentality players.

Don't get me wrong, they're playing shite and I've never particularly rated Holmes, but giving them that sort of abuse is uncalled for. They're not playing shit on purpose, they're just not good enough.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 21:29

Pepe the Horseman
Royal_jimmy
Pepe the Horseman Even when we signed Yiadom he'd just been relegated with Barnsley, so not exactly ever had a winning mentality.

Extreme but I see the frustration and share it. I don't care if they're academy products and they've both got away with too many poor performances the last couple of years. They've not been good enough and some criticism is due. They're both supposed to be improving but they've regressed like Yiadom has. They are losing mentality players.

Don't get me wrong, they're playing shite and I've never particularly rated Holmes, but giving them that sort of abuse is uncalled for. They're not playing shit on purpose, they're just not good enough.

Definitely out of order to give the abuse but when we're being outplayed and losing to teams like Port Vale people do knee jerk things out of anger.

We've also had 5 years of constant crap losing most weeks. Probably a bit of that as well and taking it out on the players. Fans just want to see us winning and on paper most of us fancied us to win today.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Aug 2023 21:38

Can something be knee jerk if we’ve gone 15 games without a win?

Surely it’s only knee jerk if we’ve won a few games recently?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 21:57

Pepe the Horseman

Haven’t seen that but major :roll: as well.

Also it’s hardly like they chose to play, it’s the managers decision. Of course they want to play, they’re also fans but if they aren’t that good it’s not their fault, can never ever fault their work rate and desire.

Easy to forget they’re both still very young by centre back standards, but equally they’ve been pretty much at the heart of a terrible defence for years. It needs freshening up.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 12 Aug 2023 22:46

That was so frustrating. Last weekend we could all see there were problems. On Tuesday it looked like we had solutions. Then today we ignored them.

I don't know if he's injured or something, but it looks like at the moment, Carroll doesn't have the stamina to play the high pressing game for 50-60 minutes. I'd rather be was used as an impact sub until he's back and fully fit.

I think as well Azeez doesn't suit playing out wide, he gets too isolated. I'd rather he played a central attacking position with savage and Ehib up top.

I really like Knibbs, bags of energy and stamina, I'd love to see him on the right with NGW playing left wing, for pace.

I'm optimistic about our options, I just hope we can use them.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Aug 2023 22:59

Decent prematch in the Queens Head, the Titanic Steerage was lovely. I'm quite bemused by the other pubs being home fans only and largely empty, whereas that Queens Head was packed and they were racking it in.

The game was entirely forgettable, we looked the better team and Vale looked poor, but we didn't create anything of note the first half except NGW winning the pen. If that goes in I think we win comfortably, after that it was inevitable we'd lose, and to be fair to Vale they had a couple more chances while we offered absolutely nothing.

We need a bit of luck and a win on Tuesday.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 23:02

St Pauli Can something be knee jerk if we’ve gone 15 games without a win?

Well quite. We've been abysmal for years so all anger is justified. Of course we can't expect Selles to simply flip a switch and start winning, but it's fair enough to criticise the players who have been so fundamental to our continued failure.

Same as the virtuous twats who urged patience when we hadn't appointed a manager after 6 weeks. No I will fcuking not be; it is a basic expectation that a club will appoint a manager ahead of pre season, and don't let 6 years of failure let you forget what the minimum standards should be.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 12 Aug 2023 23:24

But did either team take the knee?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 12 Aug 2023 23:28

PieEater Decent prematch in the Queens Head, the Titanic Steerage was lovely. I'm quite bemused by the other pubs being home fans only and largely empty, whereas that Queens Head was packed and they were racking it in.

The game was entirely forgettable, we looked the better team and Vale looked poor, but we didn't create anything of note the first half except NGW winning the pen. If that goes in I think we win comfortably, after that it was inevitable we'd lose, and to be fair to Vale they had a couple more chances while we offered absolutely nothing.

At this level "You don't win anything with kids and foreign players" .

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 12 Aug 2023 23:32

PieEater Decent prematch in the Queens Head, the Titanic Steerage was lovely. I'm quite bemused by the other pubs being home fans only and largely empty, whereas that Queens Head was packed and they were racking it in.

Good post, lots of positives from that first-half performance, disappointed we didn't get a point but I think we can survive in this division.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Aug 2023 23:40

yuomi

by yuomi » 12 Aug 2023 23:43

Selles is trying to communicate his style to the whole squad. The kids, inexperienced and fearless, have taken to it fairly easily. The first team, mostly having been managed by a succession of dreadful coaches, are struggling with it and will take more time. I do think that our back line needs wholesale changes, Holmes and McIntyre don't have the pace, defensive awareness or mutual understanding to hold the line even in L1. I'm also worried that Sellesball is higher tempo than a lot of this squad are capable of playing, nevermind maintaining.

Carroll is bizarre. He's a 6'4" targetman who we barely ever find the head of and is no kind of aerial threat. He lumbers about, insists on taking touches when the obvious thing to do is shoot, and then gets the hump when he gets played physically in a physical division. I'm not sure if he's a luxury, a liability, or a bit of both - but I can't see him leading the line long term with many performances like that. Also, keeper antics notwithstanding, that penalty was utter shite.

We need a few more energetic warm bodies through the door who aren't as used to losing as these players. We need to give Selles time. But I've got a feeling it's going to be miserable for a while.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Aug 2023 23:49

karbota

But did either team take the knee?

Who cares?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 Aug 2023 01:18

My first post on here in 5 years or more. Was really looking forward to the game today and probably like many others was confident of a win despite our recent and now record breaking terrible record of not winning in 15 league games. Another decent turn out of 1200 and we were all sent home with our tail well and truly between our legs. Simply not good enough.

We started brightly and the penalty miss definitely made an impact on us confidence and momentum wise but saying that I still thought we were much the better team in the first half even though we didn't create anything really clear cut we were certainly the team more in control and Vale offered precious little.

Second half wow what can we say about it I missed the first nearly 10 minutes due the ridiculous queues, the burrito was quite nice though I'll say that, but it didn't account for the fact that we looked simply off the pace, we really faded and Vale grew into it. Their goal was a really scrappy mess that we should have cleared but they should have had 2 more after that, one got headed across the goal line that should have gone in and then they hit the bar when they should have scored as well. Meanwhile we looked absolutely toothless going forward like we had no idea how to start an attack.

Selles said he had a selection dilemma after the cup game at Millwall well he clearly didn't act on it cause I was surprised to see him basically revert back to our 'first team' which is clearly not our strongest 11 and this now proves it so I think this actually makes his job easier. I'd go as far as to say half if not most of the first team have to dropped, were not in the Championship now were in League One so either step up or move over cause there's some decent lads that are ready to do it at this level if you ain't.

I love both the Toms we all do they are Reading boys like us but sorry lads you haven't been good enough. Like others have said they've had a losing mentality for too long now we've been shit and it can't be good for any young player. Not saying its all their fault far from it but I do think both should be dropped and Yiadom. Not writing any of these lads off but there's lads ready to come in and show their worth so come back and fight for your place will do you good. Also Tmac and Holmes can't be a centre defensive partnership it just doesn't work we've seen it time and time again I would put Dean in there as soon as he's fit and maybe partner him with Abbey, a young lad with a strong head on his shoulders he deserves as a chance as does Bindon. In fact partner any of those 4 with Dean I think they will learn a lot, those lads need an older head in there that's why he's been brought in for his experience and it should be valuable.

Carroll should also be dropped he would be better off the bench I think at this point. Funnily enough we spoke to a couple of Vale fans before the game and they said our captain no6 Nathan Smith will try and wind Carroll up don't be surprised if one of them gets sent off and fair play they pretty much called it he was all over his case all game and Carroll was a red card waiting to happen. He definitely got fouled a few times even a couple of penalty shouts but like I said at the time and the lads around me there was no chance he was giving us a second penalty. They probably could have shot Carroll in the 6 yard box and that ref still would have done oxf*rd all.

Anyway I was looking forward to Vale Park, was a new ground for me and probably many others, not for the old timers I know but we haven't played them for 20 odd years, and as a relatively young fan still, (I haven't hit 30 yet), that was about the time I started going when we last got promoted out the 3rd tier. Was hoping we could make a decent assault on this league even with the cloud over our ownership and I could do a few new grounds in the process but based on that no chance load of utter pony. Hope were not done in the transfer market I'd still take a couple of free transfers and loans anyway. Think we if we use our assets we can do more than alright in this league but Selles just needs to have a pair. Night night

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Aug 2023 08:39

The only positive about yesterday is I am working in Chesterfield atm so I didn’t have such a long journey after the game.

My expectations are low for the first few games but the win against Millwall gave me false hope. We were ok in the first half but I think that was probably more down to them being cautious after their hammering the week before. When they realised they had nothing to be scared of they had a go in the second half.

There’s a whole mixture of issues atm. Holmes and TMac are too slow to play together, it’s mainly only the U23s who have had a full preseason, we are still playing catch-up because of the transfer embargo’s and Selles needs time to implement his style.

Also, as good as Carroll has been in the past has he ever played in League One? I’d rather have someone like James Collins at Derby who knows how to handle defenders at this level. Maybe Carroll can find a way but once Smith is back from injury Carroll should only be used as a substitute.

I am going to reserve judgment until we have played 10 plus games. In the meantime, we need to try and sign Stansfield, another CM and maybe a LB. I think Craig should start on Tuesday and Selles needs to be brave and not be afraid to drop the more senior players.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 13 Aug 2023 12:18

yuomi Selles is trying to communicate his style to the whole squad. The kids, inexperienced and fearless, have taken to it fairly easily. The first team, mostly having been managed by a succession of dreadful coaches, are struggling with it and will take more time. I do think that our back line needs wholesale changes, Holmes and McIntyre don't have the pace, defensive awareness or mutual understanding to hold the line even in L1. I'm also worried that Sellesball is higher tempo than a lot of this squad are capable of playing, nevermind maintaining.

Carroll is bizarre. He's a 6'4" targetman who we barely ever find the head of and is no kind of aerial threat. He lumbers about, insists on taking touches when the obvious thing to do is shoot, and then gets the hump when he gets played physically in a physical division. I'm not sure if he's a luxury, a liability, or a bit of both - but I can't see him leading the line long term with many performances like that. Also, keeper antics notwithstanding, that penalty was utter shite.

We need a few more energetic warm bodies through the door who aren't as used to losing as these players. We need to give Selles time. But I've got a feeling it's going to be miserable for a while.

Despite his size I've always thought he is not very physical at all. Seems to get knocked off the ball very easily and goes down very easily. Sometimes also very theatrically. Have noticed though have much poorer the refereeing is compared to the champ. Seem to allow a lot more and miss a lot of fouls.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Aug 2023 12:23

The one thing I will say, which sounds obvious but in the moment people forget is that only a few weeks ago most (on here) seemed to be magnanimous and accepting that we won’t be challenging for promotion and that a mid table finish would be fine. The problem with that is that on the way to a mid table finish you’re going to get some really ugly, shitty performances and results. The two go hand in hand. Despite what people say do our fans actually have the stomach for that? If we play well we will probably win more often than not then we’d be challenging.

It’s still such early days though and we didn’t really have a pre season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Aug 2023 13:00

Sutekh Performance: cr@p
Team selection: cr@p
Manager: cr@p
Tactics: cr@p
Officials: cr@p
League One: cr@p
Opponents: cr@p

Don’t particularly agree about Port Vale. Limited, but not poor

Difference being is that they played within their own limitations to good effect whilst knowing our weaknesses and exploiting that

I.e sitting deep realising we have very little guile and craft to break them down and hitting us on the counter from one of our inevitable defensive mistakes (Holmes with the miscontrol leading up to their goal in this case). Whilst Millwall was an excellent performance, a lot of it was on the counter and there was no chance Port Vale were letting us do that to them.

Good management is about identifying the strengths and weaknesses of both teams and playing towards them. Our managers seem incapable and fixated on playing one way

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Aug 2023 13:33

URZZZZ
Sutekh Performance: cr@p
Team selection: cr@p
Manager: cr@p
Tactics: cr@p
Officials: cr@p
League One: cr@p
Opponents: cr@p

Don’t particularly agree about Port Vale. Limited, but not poor

Difference being is that they played within their own limitations to good effect whilst knowing our weaknesses and exploiting that

I.e sitting deep realising we have very little guile and craft to break them down and hitting us on the counter from one of our inevitable defensive mistakes (Holmes with the miscontrol leading up to their goal in this case). Whilst Millwall was an excellent performance, a lot of it was on the counter and there was no chance Port Vale were letting us do that to them.

Good management is about identifying the strengths and weaknesses of both teams and playing towards them. Our managers seem incapable and fixated on playing one way

To an extent. What they did well was adapt. However they were extremely passive to start and should have been 1-0 down without getting out of their own half. They started attempting to play out from the back which was genuinely as bad an attempt at it as I’ve seen, given away chances and possession

Fair play at half time they picked apart our weaknesses and were by far the better side after that