Selles In

590 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2023 11:49

One oxf*rd lame win and suddenly its all "I hope he can turn it around and stay".

It's pathetic.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 11:54

Snowflake Royal One oxf*rd lame win and suddenly its all "I hope he can turn it around and stay".

It's pathetic.

The logic is very reasonable. We know he's not getting sacked any time soon with the ownership situation. We want the team to win more games. Therefore we want him to turn it around.

Getting angry at that is pathetic.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 12:00

Snowflake Royal One oxf*rd lame win and suddenly its all "I hope he can turn it around and stay".

It's pathetic.

Way to completely mis-paraphrase the discussion. You are on fire this morning.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Nov 2023 13:37

He played Savage, a left footed player looking like a headless chicken, wide right, and McCleary looked about 25 again. Better opposition would have done better and punished us. Selles again proving he isnt good enough. And can anyone tell me what out tactics are? We just appear to be long ball merchants now. Messy game against a side who are short of players and a striker who came on and hasn't played competitively for 18 months.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Nov 2023 13:37

WestYorksRoyal

It's pathetic.

The logic is very reasonable. We know he's not getting sacked any time soon with the ownership situation. We want the team to win more games. Therefore we want him to turn it around.

Ian might have worded it harshly but in essence what he's saying is spot on.

It goes without saying that we all hope he wins every game from now on and proves to be some sort of unpolished diamond. Of course we all want that.

But it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion and there is zero indication that this is the direction of travel so the discussion itself is indeed "pathetic", especially after a scraped win by one (weird) goal against a poor side. After a run of 5 decent league performances and wins on the bounce, ok, maybe. But now!??

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Nov 2023 13:51

Millsy
WestYorksRoyal

It's pathetic.

It goes without saying that we all hope he wins every game from now on and proves to be some sort of unpolished diamond. Of course we all want that.

But it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion and there is zero indication that this is the direction of travel so the discussion itself is indeed "pathetic", especially after a scraped win by one (weird) goal against a poor side. After a run of 5 decent league performances and wins on the bounce, ok, maybe. But now!??

Well yes, now. We should want our manager to be successful at any time. That's not to suggest that he will prove to be, I doubt he will be here for all that long, although I still want him to do well, because if he does well, so does the team. Whilst this result in isolation doesn't prove this is the direction of travel, I am hoping that this is the catalyst to change that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 13:52

Millsy
WestYorksRoyal

It's pathetic.

Again, that is the bloomin point that started this conversation - he is the manager, he isn't going anywhere so the hope is the team pick up form under him and as a result, he ends up staying manager. I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp - the point would be valid if we had got done 6-2 on Saturday.

None of us will lose any sleep if he gets fired this week (and I still think that would be for the best) but if by changing things, performances and results begin to improve then that will be bloody fantastic. It probably won't save him anyway as any new owner will likely want their own man and will either change immediately, or wait for the first run of bad form if things start ticking along.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 14:04

My argument has largely been in the hypothetical that if he sustains a good run over 8 games or so he deserves more time. Not that I believe he will do it, or that I'm Selles In.

It shouldn't divide opinion. 12 points from the next 8 would take us up to new years day with hopefully an FA CUP 3rd round tie to follow. That would be 15 points from 9 including Saturday and clear grounds to give him more time.

Do I think he'll achieve this? No. But I sure as hell want him to.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 27 Nov 2023 14:15

If Ian were a United fan, he'd presumably still be insisting that Fergie should have been sacked in 1989, and that nothing since has proved him wrong.

Personally, I don't understand why you're all being so defeatist. We're only 28 points off the top with 87 still to play for.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 14:23

If anybody wants to get obscenely carried away you can get 1000/1 on promotion. Part of me thinks I can afford to lose £20, so why not?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 28 Nov 2023 22:01

8) Good to see Selles turning it around. As a Manager he is improving with every game and could well be the man to take us back to the Premiership!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 28 Nov 2023 22:04

He’ll be off to replace Guardiola before that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2023 22:07

In all seriousness, I don't know how much we learned tonight. Looked good in patches, very shaky at times and the standard equaliser shortly after scoring. That result could easily have been different.

At least with Wing and Smith finding form, plus Knibbs and Azeez tonight, we carry a genuine goal threat. Teams who can score goals generally do okay. But the mental frailty was on show again tonight and it will cost us more games.

We still need a sustained run of form to convince me.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 28 Nov 2023 22:15

And now we’re only 26 points off the top 8)

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Nov 2023 22:20

Snippet from Wikipedia entry for 2011-12 season - Despite a poor start, which saw them 23rd in the table at one point, Reading went on to win 17 of 23 games in the second half of the season, securing the Championship title and ensuring promotion back to the Premier League. McDermott was named the LMA Championship Manager of the Season for the achievement.

Perhaps 2023-24 will follow a similar path?

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 29 Nov 2023 13:17

morganb Snippet from Wikipedia entry for 2011-12 season - Despite a poor start, which saw them 23rd in the table at one point, Reading went on to win 17 of 23 games in the second half of the season, securing the Championship title and ensuring promotion back to the Premier League. McDermott was named the LMA Championship Manager of the Season for the achievement.

Hmm - Not sure we were 23rd this far into the season in 2011/2012!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 13:21

MartinRdg
morganb Snippet from Wikipedia entry for 2011-12 season - Despite a poor start, which saw them 23rd in the table at one point, Reading went on to win 17 of 23 games in the second half of the season, securing the Championship title and ensuring promotion back to the Premier League. McDermott was named the LMA Championship Manager of the Season for the achievement.

Yeah, I think it was more after 5 - 8 games max.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2023 13:28

Snowflake Royal
MartinRdg

Yeah, I think it was more after 5 - 8 games max.

After 18 games, 26th November 2011:

13th P18 / W6 / D6 / L6 / GF20 / GA19 / Pts 24 - 11 above relegation, 5 off the Play-offs, 13 off 2nd and 15 off top

After 18 games, 29th November 2023:

23rd P18 / W5 / D2 / L11 / GF22 / GA30 Pts 13* - 5 from safety, 20 off the play offs, 26 off 2nd and 1st

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 13:30

On this date in 2011 we were 9th with 27 points.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/cham ... e/20111129

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Nov 2023 13:34

My reasons for being Selles out were that he constantly changed the starting 11 - dropping players that were doing ok and often bringing in players that were no improvement. On a lot of occasions he seemed to choose to play people out of position for no obvious reason. Then his substitutions were baffling.

In the last few games we have seen a more stable starting 11, players are generally being played in their best positions Dorsett excerpted. Although to be fair we do seem to have an issue at LB and Dorsett has actually done ok there. And substitutions have seemed more logical. So hopefully there has been a learning curve here. 2 wins doesn’t mean much in isolation but let’s give Selles a little longer and see if we can start to win on a regular basis.

590 posts