Selles In

590 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles In

by andrew1957 » 24 Dec 2023 09:08

I got fed up with Selles earlier in the season due to the constant and huge team rotations and the odd substitutions. It seemed as though he was panicking and just trying everything without giving any team selected the time to bond. Now we are playing a more settled side and the subs are less odd we have begun to pick up points.

And so it is good to see the manager developing and learning and so it is a “in” for me for the foreseeable future.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Dec 2023 09:20

Basically it took half a season for him to work out NgW dean and hutch are shit. Plus savage not ready yet for first team football yet. For god knows how long our CM haven’t been able to dictate the play. I think our defensive shitness all stems from a shit cm. Wing and Craig seem very competent at this level, stick with them and we will be fine.

Ince destroyed Holmes. He’s beginning to believe again

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Dec 2023 09:27

Millsy omgz we won a game quick guys must now jump on the only other possible bandwagon we are reddin fans innit omglolz look at us we're so clever innit

You ok m8?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Dec 2023 09:55

Brogue Basically it took half a season for him to work out NgW dean and hutch are shit. Plus savage not ready yet for first team football yet. For god knows how long our CM haven’t been able to dictate the play. I think our defensive shitness all stems from a shit cm. Wing and Craig seem very competent at this level, stick with them and we will be fine.

His negative tactics put out defence under constant pressure didn't help either. Holmes was scapegoated for how many goals we conceded in 2 seasons with him in the heart of defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:38

Brogue Basically it took half a season for him to work out NgW dean and hutch are shit. Plus savage not ready yet for first team football yet. For god knows how long our CM haven’t been able to dictate the play. I think our defensive shitness all stems from a shit cm. Wing and Craig seem very competent at this level, stick with them and we will be fine.

I'm sorry for the pain you feel, finally realising I've been right for the last 3 years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:39

Royal_jimmy

His negative tactics put out defence under constant pressure didn't help either. Holmes was scapegoated for how many goals we conceded in 2 seasons with him in the heart of defence.

Yeah, by you and many on here.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Dec 2023 10:43

Snowflake Royal

I'm sorry for the pain you feel, finally realising I've been right for the last 3 years.

Our CM has been shit for 10 years.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:53

Yes he's defs got his confidence back, and I also prefer him as captain as he's far more vocal and passing on bits to a very young back line, think Yiadom is way too passive at ti.mes

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:55

leon
Snowflake Royal

It's briefly had its moments at times, but on the whole, yes. One of the reasons we've been mostly shit for 10 years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2023 12:12

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal I'm sorry for the pain you feel, finally realising I've been right for the last 3 years.

It's briefly had its moments at times, but on the whole, yes. One of the reasons we've been mostly shit for 10 years.

I’m not sure Holmes has ever consistently looked great has he? Competent champ defender at times but he rarely dominates like the best CBs do. Too often beaten physically, and slow. Though I can see a partnership with the pacey Abbey could bring out the best in him. That could be a really good CB pairing at this level

Granted he has been one piece of the problem rather than the main issue itself. Soft CMs, dodgy formations, pairing him with other slow CBs. None of it has helped

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 12:37

Hound
Snowflake Royal
leon

I’m not sure Holmes has ever consistently looked great has he? Competent champ defender at times but he rarely dominates like the best CBs do. Too often beaten physically, and slow. Though I can see a partnership with the pacey Abbey could bring out the best in him. That could be a really good CB pairing at this level

Granted he has been one piece of the problem rather than the main issue itself. Soft CMs, dodgy formations, pairing him with other slow CBs. None of it has helped

When we started well last season he looked excellent imo. Then slowly unravelled as our midfield and performance did.

Not to say he doesn’t have flaws. He's slow and he spends far too much time trying to be handsy in the box. To block and hold his man rather than worrying about winning the ball himself. Which is why I think he gets beaten in the air too much.

Not the CB to lead us into the Championship play offs, but very much able to play a part in getting us promoted from L1 and do ok in the Champ, with the right team around him.

I prefer McIntyre. But he's always injured.

In the longer term, Mbengue and Abbey could really do the business.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Dec 2023 12:39

It was right to drop Holmes when we did. He needed time out of the team for his own good. But there was always a decent defender in there and it's good to see him performing well again. He could probably have come back a month earlier.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Dec 2023 18:37

Still an out person. If he keeps us up, then good on him and job done, but in all honesty even if he had money and new owners I don't see him getting us back into the Championship. I think better managers can out think him and there's too much negativity in his management.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Dec 2023 19:58

We are all Selles out we just know it will not happen until (if) dai sells

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Dec 2023 20:17

I’ve seen enough in the last 6 games to make me selles IN! for now.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Dec 2023 21:17

Good to see a young manager given time by the owners to learn from mistakes, in very difficult circumstances, rather than respond to knee-jerk demands from bedwetter fans to get rid.

More clubs should follow our example.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 24 Dec 2023 21:47

Royal Rother Good to see a young manager given time by the owners to learn from mistakes, in very difficult circumstances, rather than respond to knee-jerk demands from bedwetter fans to get rid.

No recent Reading manager has had a harder job, Little experience and given a load of kids to build a side from, wages not paid, points deductions etc.
He comes out and verbally backs the fans protests which takes some bottle, and against Wigan you can see these lads are playing for him and for each other.
10 point deficit just about made up in six games, that's decent.
Only Ian still has the blinkers on.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 24 Dec 2023 21:55

Brogue I’ve seen enough in the last 6 games to make me selles IN! for now.

Fair play to you.

I’ve been Selles in! Since he got on the lash down the Turtle.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 24 Dec 2023 21:56

72 bus
Royal Rother Good to see a young manager given time by the owners to learn from mistakes, in very difficult circumstances, rather than respond to knee-jerk demands from bedwetter fans to get rid.

No recent Reading manager has had a harder job, Little experience and given a load of kids to build a side from, wages not paid, points deductions etc.
He comes out and verbally backs the fans protests which takes some bottle, and against Wigan you can see these lads are playing for him and for each other.
10 point deficit just about made up in six games, that's decent.
Only Ian still has the blinkers on.

Rare agreed with two Tory posters here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 22:17

What's with all these weird joke posts.

We all know Selles isn't here because he's being given time. He's here because Dai couldn’t give two shits about sacking him.

590 posts