Selles In

590 posts
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles In

by RG30 » 02 Jan 2024 07:50

Coincidence form has picked up with Andrew Sparkes demoted and Eddie Niedzwiecki being more hands on within the coaching set-up?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2024 09:17

Sanguine
Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Football is rubbish, but we're getting results for now.

3rd tier football is rather poor. You wanted it so you can't moan

Ha, I'd forgotten that Ian-ism, fwiw. He wasn't alone, but now you mention it, Ian was adamant that third tier football wouldn't be all that bad.

The theme of the season so far has been "I knew it would be bad, but not *that* bad". L1 is obviously lower quality than the Championship, but the extent of it has shocked me to be honest. The gap is definitely bigger than last time we were down here, and there are only a handful of decent teams. Portsmouth, Bolton, Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley. Who else? Oxford are nothing special after Manning.

Similarly with Selles and the team, I knew we'd start slowly due to circumstances, but I didn't expect it to be *that* bad. We actually won 9 points on the first 8; that was my expectation of a slow start. We then got 2 points from the following 9 games - there's no way anyone could have predicted it getting that bad.

But I've come to accept what a poor league it is now and we seem to be recovering, so maybe it's a bit rosier.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 10:16

Not a single player who started yesterday was anything like a regular last season. Holmes will come back in and possibly TMc but it is an entirely new team otherwise

Guess things are still gelling. Be interesting to see how it progresses second half of the season. Would be extremely disappointing to be in the relegation mix at the end of the season from here though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2024 10:37

Royal_jimmy

Our football is rubbish.

There's obviously more mistakes in general and teams at the bottom will clearly be poor, but most teams play better football than us imo.

We're very kick and rush, and results are basically down to having a few top quality L1 players, like Wing, Smith, Knibbs and Azeez out scoring the opposition.

The league itself is quite good fun.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jan 2024 10:39

Agree with that last line, League 1 is a pretty entertaining league and has been for a while. There are normally around 15 of the 24 teams who are on a similar level so it makes for closer games with unpredictable results.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 02 Jan 2024 10:59

Rax
rabidbee
Rax I'm happy to give the guy time - obviously the behind the scenes situation isn't helping!

What I can't get my head around though is Holmes's omission today - he was immense last game and yet gets completely dropped :?

He is injured.

Is he - have heard nothing official.....

Yes, Selles said so post match. Has a tight calf (I think it is) and due to have a scan today.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jan 2024 11:04

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Our football is rubbish.

There's obviously more mistakes in general and teams at the bottom will clearly be poor, but most teams play better football than us imo.

We're very kick and rush, and results are basically down to having a few top quality L1 players, like Wing, Smith, Knibbs and Azeez out scoring the opposition.

You've got an inbuilt dislike of Selles and I suspect you'd still be banging on about rubbish football if we carry this on and end up top half.

Maybe read the opposition fans BFTG thread if you think our football is always rubbish. That's always a good barometer. Oppo managers too.

Yes the football wasn't good yesterday and Exeter passed it better but look at how many goals they've scored.

I was really worried about playing 2 sides around us at the end of a hideous schedule, including the re-arranged Oxford game just before Christmas and the last 2 games was all about points collection only.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 11:05

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Our football is rubbish.

We have periods in games when we do just seem to pass round the back 4 then hoof. Seems to be some plan which I think is misguided of Smith getting behind the back 4

The other outcome we seem to want is to hoof then win the second ball high up the pitch. It kind of works sometimes (Smith and Knibbs good at it) but it’s a bit Sunday league

On the other hand we’re capable and look a better side when we do get the ball down and play. Our first and third yesterday were good bits of football, esp the third

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jan 2024 11:16

How does Selles decide when he is going to chop-and-change and when he is going to stick with a player?

For example, Azeez took a couple of months to hit his current vein of form but Selles persevered even when the fans said he was rubbish. On the other wing why doesn't he pick a player, Mukairu for example, and give him a decent run of games rather than replace him after a couple of matches with Vickers (who isn't really suited to that position, seemed to play facing our goal a lot of the time yesterday).

He does this rotation with certain positions/players more often than others. Is it "Sports Science" based or changes due to the opposition as it can't simply be based on form (see Azeez)?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2024 11:18

The quality of football is poor but I prefer this style of play to Ince-ball and even Stam-ball and with better quality players could look fantastic. I'd like to see a bit more energy in this side next season if Selles is still here, especially in midfield and perhaps a bit more pace but we're heading in the right direction. Hopefully we've hit rock bottom now. Just need a half decent owner to come in for us

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 11:20

morganb How does Selles decide when he is going to chop-and-change and when he is going to stick with a player?

For example, Azeez took a couple of months to hit his current vein of form but Selles persevered even when the fans said he was rubbish. On the other wing why doesn't he pick a player, Mukairu for example, and give him a decent run of games rather than replace him after a couple of matches with Vickers (who isn't really suited to that position, seemed to play facing our goal a lot of the time yesterday).

He does this rotation with certain positions/players more often than others. Is it "Sports Science" based or changes due to the opposition as it can't simply be based on form (see Azeez)?

I suspect there are various factors. Mukairu might not have been fully fit, may have taken a knock in the previous game etc that we will probably never know about.

There probably are factors regarding the opposition and even players of our own, current form will come into it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 11:22

YorkshireRoyal99
morganb How does Selles decide when he is going to chop-and-change and when he is going to stick with a player?

I suspect there are various factors. Mukairu might not have been fully fit, may have taken a knock in the previous game etc that we will probably never know about.

There probably are factors regarding the opposition and even players of our own, current form will come into it.

I would imagine performances in training will have something to do with it as well. For all we know, Azeez was tearing it up during the week, but wasn't quite going right for him on the pitch and Selles thought it would be bound to click eventually, which it did.

The others may not be showing quite the same application, on a consistent basis.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 11:23

The football for me doesn't really matter as long as we are winning games. Ince and Stam took this to the extreme, but I was hardly moaning at the time when we were in and around the PO positions under Stam, it only really becomes a big criticism when you aren't winning games.

The one thing I would say is, our style can be varied. We can play sometimes, other times we don't. But I don't mind that as we don't look like a one dimensional team and our decision-making seems to be quite good at the moment about when to play and when not to play. Providing we win enough games for me, then I'm happy with it. There are improvements to be made, we are still a bit open for my liking but we also score plenty of goals, something which we hasn't been a great luxury of ours for a number of years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 11:24

YorkshireRoyal99

A lot of the noise about Azeez was well over the top at the time - mainly just Twitter nonsense. He was frustrating as he was playing pretty well, doing all the right things then sh*tting the bed the minute he saw the goal. Plenty said it may well just be a case of getting that first goal in

Selles did well to stick with him but he was always contributing and clearly had ‘something’

Selles does seem to just make his mind up quite suddenly on some players - people like NGW, Hutch who go from being regular to nowhere very quickly

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 11:27

One thing I’ve noticed about Azeez which has made a huge difference is he is trusting his right foot a whole lot more

Previously he was always cutting back. Now he is regularly putting in excellent crosses on his right

The defender is now struggling as they want to keep him on his weaker foot, but in doing that he is tearing them up down to the byline. If they block that he can come back inside and swing in a cross from his left

Maybe a confidence thing or something he has worked hard on. Either way it’s made him twice the player

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Jan 2024 11:58

Hound One thing I’ve noticed about Azeez which has made a huge difference is he is trusting his right foot a whole lot more

Previously he was always cutting back. Now he is regularly putting in excellent crosses on his right

The defender is now struggling as they want to keep him on his weaker foot, but in doing that he is tearing them up down to the byline. If they block that he can come back inside and swing in a cross from his left

Maybe a confidence thing or something he has worked hard on. Either way it’s made him twice the player

It's hard to recall any other player improving so significantly, so quickly as Azeez. He is a completely different player from 8 weeks ago.

The only comparison I can think of is Nick Blackman when his body was possessed by the demon of a decent forward for 6 months

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jan 2024 12:03

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Our football is rubbish.

We have periods in games when we do just seem to pass round the back 4 then hoof. Seems to be some plan which I think is misguided of Smith getting behind the back 4

Could just be pragmatism from Selles. He clearly wants the team to play 'proper' football, but is aware of the squad's limitations, and also the assets we have in the likes of Smith as an attacking outlet (I mean, sure, he's no Jason Roberts, but still). So, pass the football, but if you don't find an opening, get rid.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2024 12:16

Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99

I would imagine performances in training will have something to do with it as well. For all we know, Azeez was tearing it up during the week, but wasn't quite going right for him on the pitch and Selles thought it would be bound to click eventually, which it did.

The others may not be showing quite the same application, on a consistent basis.

To be fair if you looked at the stats for Azeez, or beyond just end product it always made sense that Selles stuck with him.

In the case of Mukairu he drifts in and out of games more. And he makes some faiy basic unforced errors. I haven't checked his stats, but I doubt they were as good as Azeez's. Plus he was origonally competing with Knibbs.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 12:29

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99

To be fair if you looked at the stats for Azeez, or beyond just end product it always made sense that Selles stuck with him.

In the case of Mukairu he drifts in and out of games more. And he makes some faiy basic unforced errors. I haven't checked his stats, but I doubt they were as good as Azeez's. Plus he was origonally competing with Knibbs.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Totally agree.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 14:21

Schards#2
Hound One thing I’ve noticed about Azeez which has made a huge difference is he is trusting his right foot a whole lot more

It's hard to recall any other player improving so significantly, so quickly as Azeez. He is a completely different player from 8 weeks ago.

The only comparison I can think of is Nick Blackman when his body was possessed by the demon of a decent forward for 6 months

TBF the only thing that has improved is the end result, he was still making the same runs and stretching teams but was just choosing the wrong options all the time. He is still making some poor decisions but now not every decision is poor.

590 posts