Selles In

590 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 15:53

Stranded
Schards#2
Hound One thing I’ve noticed about Azeez which has made a huge difference is he is trusting his right foot a whole lot more

Previously he was always cutting back. Now he is regularly putting in excellent crosses on his right

The defender is now struggling as they want to keep him on his weaker foot, but in doing that he is tearing them up down to the byline. If they block that he can come back inside and swing in a cross from his left

Maybe a confidence thing or something he has worked hard on. Either way it’s made him twice the player

It's hard to recall any other player improving so significantly, so quickly as Azeez. He is a completely different player from 8 weeks ago.

The only comparison I can think of is Nick Blackman when his body was possessed by the demon of a decent forward for 6 months

TBF the only thing that has improved is the end result, he was still making the same runs and stretching teams but was just choosing the wrong options all the time. He is still making some poor decisions but now not every decision is poor.

Though also tbf that ‘end product’ is quite a large range. It’s improved crossing, shooting and decision making. All seem to have got a lot better imo

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 15:56

Hound
Stranded
Schards#2
It's hard to recall any other player improving so significantly, so quickly as Azeez. He is a completely different player from 8 weeks ago.

The only comparison I can think of is Nick Blackman when his body was possessed by the demon of a decent forward for 6 months

TBF the only thing that has improved is the end result, he was still making the same runs and stretching teams but was just choosing the wrong options all the time. He is still making some poor decisions but now not every decision is poor.

Though also tbf that ‘end product’ is quite a large range. It’s improved crossing, shooting and decision making. All seem to have got a lot better imo

Indeed - would have to say it is likely a combination of confidence, coaching and good man-management that has got him to where he is.

I look forward to seeing him leave for a free in the summer.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jan 2024 16:03

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

Indeed - would have to say it is likely a combination of confidence, coaching and good man-management that has got him to where he is.

Unless we get a new owner, I can see the likes of Azeez, along with anyone else whose deal expires in the summer leaving on a free. I assume we’re allowed to offer contract extensions to existing players, but I can’t see anyone in their right mind wanting to stay.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 16:03

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

We’d still get compensation wouldn’t we? He’s 22 now so under 24. Though I lose track with all the various stipulations

Suspect he will be in demand if he keeps his form up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2024 16:12

Stranded
Schards#2
Hound One thing I’ve noticed about Azeez which has made a huge difference is he is trusting his right foot a whole lot more

Previously he was always cutting back. Now he is regularly putting in excellent crosses on his right

The defender is now struggling as they want to keep him on his weaker foot, but in doing that he is tearing them up down to the byline. If they block that he can come back inside and swing in a cross from his left

Maybe a confidence thing or something he has worked hard on. Either way it’s made him twice the player

And consequently his confidence has rocketed and he's enjoying his game.

Which shows how important confidence and form is. Not that long ago he missed an open net and never looked like he was going to score. Now he’s scoring absolute belters.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2024 16:30

blythspartan
Stranded
Hound

Unless we get a new owner, I can see the likes of Azeez, along with anyone else whose deal expires in the summer leaving on a free. I assume we’re allowed to offer contract extensions to existing players, but I can’t see anyone in their right mind wanting to stay.

difficult to offer new contracts not knowing what next year's budget will be and whether there's enough money to cover it. I guess you'd try to prioritise those with potential future re-sale value but we're bound to lose a few that we'd rather keep (and go on to have great careers elsewhere)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 16:36

3points
blythspartan
Stranded

difficult to offer new contracts not knowing what next year's budget will be and whether there's enough money to cover it. I guess you'd try to prioritise those with potential future re-sale value but we're bound to lose a few that we'd rather keep (and go on to have great careers elsewhere)

Always the hope that some or all of the 2 year deals we offered have a clause to extend for a 3rd year.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 02 Jan 2024 16:58

Schards#2

Some notable ones for me are Shaun Cummings, Shane Long and Yann Kermorgant (That season he was easily the best striker I've personally seen play for Reading)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2024 17:29

LightwaterRoyal
Schards#2

Some notable ones for me are Shaun Cummings, Shane Long and Yann Kermorgant (That season he was easily the best striker I've personally seen play for Reading)

Yann was impressive because he went from dump, to world beater for 6 months, back to dump again.

Blackman has to be right up there too.

Dogshite, then PL standard for three months, then dogshite since.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2024 18:26

Selles has got the best out of Azeez too recently. Definitely better than Ince there

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2024 18:27

Snowflake Royal
LightwaterRoyal
Schards#2

Yann was impressive because he went from dump, to world beater for 6 months, back to dump again.

Blackman has to be right up there too.

Dogshite, then PL standard for three months, then dogshite since.

Yann Kermorgant was a great fit for our team and a good player. He was a smart signing

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jan 2024 18:33

Bobby Convey was the most improved player I can ever remember. Albeit from one season to the next.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2024 19:35

Azeez's improvement is all end product, but that is 99% of the game for players in his position. The lower leagues are littered with fast, tricky, skillful but ultimately infuriating players who lack decision making and composure. The few who kick on have consistency and end product which he is now showing.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 02 Jan 2024 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2024 19:39

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Football is rubbish, but we're getting results for now.

3rd tier football is rather poor. You wanted it so you can't moan

Our football is rubbish.

There's obviously more mistakes in general and teams at the bottom will clearly be poor, but most teams play better football than us imo.

We're very kick and rush, and results are basically down to having a few top quality L1 players, like Wing, Smith, Knibbs and Azeez out scoring the opposition.

The league itself is quite good fun.

I agree our play is not great and we're relying upon individual moments, but it's also exciting that this team can deliver more. We need to get better and moving the ball up the pitch and controlling games more. I think Savage could ultimately play a role as his passing is more progressive than Craig. McIntyre and Yiadom returning could help too. If we can start controlling territory, imagine what our attacking players could achieve then.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jan 2024 20:06

Royal_jimmy Selles has got the best out of Azeez too recently. Definitely better than Ince there

League One sort of helps tbf.

A few of our players have found their level and can begin to thrive here.

Although tbf I like Azeez in the champ too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 08:40

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
3rd tier football is rather poor. You wanted it so you can't moan

Our football is rubbish.

There's obviously more mistakes in general and teams at the bottom will clearly be poor, but most teams play better football than us imo.

We're very kick and rush, and results are basically down to having a few top quality L1 players, like Wing, Smith, Knibbs and Azeez out scoring the opposition.

I agree our play is not great and we're relying upon individual moments, but it's also exciting that this team can deliver more. We need to get better and moving the ball up the pitch and controlling games more. I think Savage could ultimately play a role as his passing is more progressive than Craig. McIntyre and Yiadom returning could help too. If we can start controlling territory, imagine what our attacking players could achieve then.

Savage is too similar to Wing to play alongside him until he's much better. Both like a Hollywood pass, take set pieces and want to have a shot.

Teams need disciplined players who will sit, keep it simple and screen defence. Craig and Savage just have different roles and attributes and we're a much better team with Craig in filling that holding role.

For me, Savage is the understudy to Wing and competing for a different slot in the team to Craig. And Savage has the potential to be better than Wing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2024 09:40

Millsy
Royal_jimmy Selles has got the best out of Azeez too recently. Definitely better than Ince there

League One sort of helps tbf.

A few of our players have found their level and can begin to thrive here.

Although tbf I like Azeez in the champ too.

L1 does help but Azeez looked lost at the start of the season. Now he's on fire since Selles scrapped 4-2-2-2

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2024 09:49

Whilst I find the discussions on here interesting, the only thing that a manager is judged on is results. Whether Selles stays or goes won't come down to formation or tactics or man management or anything like that - it will come down to whether the new owners think our league position is good or bad considering the quality of the squad and circumstance. He's more likely to stay if we're playing terrible football, everyone hates him, but scrapping wins than if we're showing promise, he's loved by players, but we're narrowly losing games.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 03 Jan 2024 09:55

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Our football is rubbish.

Savage is too similar to Wing to play alongside him until he's much better. Both like a Hollywood pass, take set pieces and want to have a shot.

Teams need disciplined players who will sit, keep it simple and screen defence. Craig and Savage just have different roles and attributes and we're a much better team with Craig in filling that holding role.

For me, Savage is the understudy to Wing and competing for a different slot in the team to Craig. And Savage has the potential to be better than Wing.

Agreed - I'm always a bit horrified when RS substitutes Craig with Savage because Savage just can't seem to play that holding midfielder role

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2024 09:59

Elm Park Kid Whilst I find the discussions on here interesting, the only thing that a manager is judged on is results. Whether Selles stays or goes won't come down to formation or tactics or man management or anything like that - it will come down to whether the new owners think our league position is good or bad considering the quality of the squad and circumstance. He's more likely to stay if we're playing terrible football, everyone hates him, but scrapping wins than if we're showing promise, he's loved by players, but we're narrowly losing games.

Agreed. Obviously in an ideal world we'd want both, I'd like to see us play nice football and have a lot of promise whilst getting results, but that's few and far between at this level. Teams that do have all those attributes tend to go up and find themselves doing well in the Championship, Ipswich for example.

590 posts