Selles In

590 posts
shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Selles In

by shadesrwrf » 23 Jan 2024 22:28

Great result today but am I the only one who hasn't had their short-term memory chip removed?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Jan 2024 22:51

shadesrwrf Great result today but am I the only one who hasn't had their short-term memory chip removed?

Look, He got off to a bad start, we all know that. but he’s learnt. He’s adapted, and is willing to change, Unlike that useless sack of shit Ince and pauno. This is his first gig as manager. He needed to find his feet. Yes the first 15 games or so were utter utter shit. And i mean some of the worst football we’ve seen in over 30 years shit. I went to both the he Shrewsbury game and Cheltenham. The first half at Cheltenham until we scored was probably the worst I’ve seen us play in 35 years I’ve been watching us. But he’s slowly turning the oil tanker. I think he’s going to be ok for us.
Last edited by Brogue on 23 Jan 2024 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin Royal

by Wisconsin Royal » 23 Jan 2024 22:55

Brogue
shadesrwrf Great result today but am I the only one who hasn't had their short-term memory chip removed?

Look, He got off to a bad start, we all know that. but he’s learnt. He’s adapted, and is willing to change, Unlike that useless sack of shit Ince and pauno. This is his first gig as manager. He needed to find his feet. Yes the first 15 games or so were utter utter shit. And i mean some of the worst football we’ve seen in over 30 years shit. But he’s slowly turning the oil tanker. I think he’s going to be ok for us.

This is exactly my point. Things have steadily improved, which shows:
1. he is willing to admit failure and try new things.
2. his solutions, on balance, have worked.

Couple this improvement with the team seemingly being united and the fans starting to go for him - it's an 'In' from me.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Jan 2024 22:58

Wisconsin Royal
Brogue

Look, He got off to a bad start, we all know that. but he’s learnt. He’s adapted, and is willing to change, Unlike that useless sack of shit Ince and pauno. This is his first gig as manager. He needed to find his feet. Yes the first 15 games or so were utter utter shit. And i mean some of the worst football we’ve seen in over 30 years shit. But he’s slowly turning the oil tanker. I think he’s going to be ok for us.

Couple this improvement with the team seemingly being united and the fans starting to go for him - it's an 'In' from me.

And I think tonight was a turning point with the fans. They really got behind him tonight and lots of chants for him. He has conducted himself so well over this last couple of months. He’s winning the fans over. Of course there will be some stubborn ones who want to save face. But they will get onboard the ‘selles in’ train soon enough, I’m sure. Ian aside, obviously.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2024 00:30

Selles out from day one, but would be delighted for the chap to prove me wrong.

The recent run has been good - keep it up Selles!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2024 07:37

At the end of the day how exactly can you judge him (or anyone) cogently with all the utter ******* cr@p going on around him that is seeing team building options almost non existant, what little there is threatened by redundancies and transfer windows and nearly every step forward being undermined by a complete **** of an owner?

If he manages to keep this shambles up he deserves a chance with what will hopefully be a more stable and "helpful" owner (but then, as has been known to happen at some clubs after such changes, any new owner may well have their own ideas on such things - even if he was proving to be the next Klopp).

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jan 2024 08:01

Sutekh At the end of the day how exactly can you judge him (or anyone) cogently with all the utter ******* cr@p going on around him that is seeing team building options almost non existant, what little there is threatened by redundancies and transfer windows and nearly every step forward being undermined by a complete **** of an owner?

If he manages to keep this shambles up he deserves a chance with what will hopefully be a more stable and "helpful" owner (but then, as has been known to happen at some clubs after such changes, any new owner may well have their own ideas on such things - even if he was proving to be the next Klopp).

+1

I was wrong to write him off so quickly. It’s so easy to forget about what he has had to deal with behind the scenes. He has conducted himself fantastically well and faced up to some hard questions and has mostly given good honest answers.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jan 2024 08:34

would go down as a bit of a club legend if he managed to keep us up this season

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Jan 2024 08:57

I was very negative about Selles' appointment - but with Dai's behaviour this season I doubt that any manager would have done much better.

I do get the sense that he's developing a bond with the Reading fans. That we might actually have someone that people are willing to give a chance and not call for their head every time we lose two games in a row. If we stay out of the relegation zone then I think he should be given next season to show whether he's cut out for this or not. Seems fair to me.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2024 09:03

Has there ever been a manager at this club greeted with boos, chanted to be out, to then get that reception last night - cant recall one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2024 09:03

Very much supportive of him at the moment, he has learnt from his mistakes and last night was easily the best the team have played this season - controlled the game against a team who would have gone top with a win.

Feb will be his big test though - he will know what his squad looks like for the rest of the campaign (barring any injuries or random free agent signing) and we have the following run of games:

Oxford (a) - 3rd Feb
Stevenage (a) - 6th Feb
Charlton (H) - 10th Feb
Fleetwood (a) - 13th Feb
Portsmouth (a) - 16th Feb
Port Vale (H) - 20th Feb
Shrewsbury (H) - 24th Feb
Carlisle (a) - 2nd Mar (I know not Feb but it's a short month)

So once the window shuts, we go straight into a run of 5 games, 4 of which are away - one being a local derby, one being at the league leaders, one pushing for the play-offs and the bottom club.

He simply has to find a way to win at least 1 of the away games to help us move up the table.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 09:07

Stranded Very much supportive of him at the moment, he has learnt from his mistakes and last night was easily the best the team have played this season - controlled the game against a team who would have gone top with a win.

Feb will be his big test though - he will know what his squad looks like for the rest of the campaign (barring any injuries or random free agent signing) and we have the following run of games:

Oxford (a) - 3rd Feb
Stevenage (a) - 6th Feb
Charlton (H) - 10th Feb
Fleetwood (a) - 13th Feb
Portsmouth (a) - 16th Feb
Port Vale (H) - 20th Feb
Shrewsbury (H) - 24th Feb
Carlisle (a) - 2nd Mar (I know not Feb but it's a short month)

So once the window shuts, we go straight into a run of 5 games, 4 of which are away - one being a local derby, one being at the league leaders, one pushing for the play-offs and the bottom club.

He simply has to find a way to win at least 1 of the away games to help us move up the table.

The Stevenage and Port Vale rearrangements really adding to the congested. Will be a testing month for what remains of the squad.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Jan 2024 09:14

Should build a statue of him for what he's done in such impossible circumstances

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 24 Jan 2024 09:40

Brogue
Wisconsin Royal
Brogue

And I think tonight was a turning point with the fans. They really got behind him tonight and lots of chants for him. He has conducted himself so well over this last couple of months. He’s winning the fans over. Of course there will be some stubborn ones who want to save face. But they will get onboard the ‘selles in’ train soon enough, I’m sure. Ian aside, obviously.

Fair enough.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 09:42

He's doing well now and has been since November. But his start wasn't simply "slow". It was an utter disaster and it could ultimately still relegate us. I think he has earned more time, but in any normal circumstances I would say 1 point from 8 is sackable form unless you have goodwill from past achievements in the bank.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Jan 2024 09:47

He's definitely done a commendable job over the last 8 weeks with all the mess in the club and building that bond with fans. I always thought he was likeable from day 1 as a person, now he's getting good performances out of the squad. See how Feb goes but if he keeps us up he deserves a stab next season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Jan 2024 09:49

WestYorksRoyal He's doing well now and has been since November. But his start wasn't simply "slow". It was an utter disaster and it could ultimately still relegate us. I think he has earned more time, but in any normal circumstances I would say 1 point from 8 is sackable form unless you have goodwill from past achievements in the bank.

Took him a while to realise 4-2-2-2 wasn't suiting us. Probably also struggled a bit as the side weren't gelling. The side last night was very different to the one that lost to Port Vale and Peterborough in the opening 2 games.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 24 Jan 2024 10:01

Managers often don't get enough time to adapt to their new job. In his case, Selles was saved by the chaos off the pitch as well as being hampered by it. it bought him time, but made his job extra diffcult.

For me it comes down to one thing. Bad managers stick to their plan and don't make changes. Good managers recognise when something is going wrong and adjust. So often they'll need time which, in the modern game, they often don't get. Selles has had that time.

I'll say it again - if he keeps us up, he will be right up there with the contenders for manager of the season across the whole of English football.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Jan 2024 10:46

WestYorksRoyal He's doing well now and has been since November. But his start wasn't simply "slow". It was an utter disaster and it could ultimately still relegate us. I think he has earned more time, but in any normal circumstances I would say 1 point from 8 is sackable form unless you have goodwill from past achievements in the bank.

With hindsight should we have sacked Brendan Rodgers? He had a similar start?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 24 Jan 2024 10:57

Uke

With hindsight should we have sacked Brendan Rodgers? He had a similar start?

Maybe if he had shown signs of understanding things weren't working and was maybe trying to find solutions, but he seemed 100% convinced he should carry on until the world changed to suit him. His last interview with Dellor seemed to underline that, hence his sacking.

590 posts