Selles In

590 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Selles In

by NathStPaul » 06 Feb 2024 22:22

Selles is the man for the job. He deserves our respect and gratitude.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Feb 2024 22:25

Finally found a decent striker in that Owen Goal kid. . . .

Sorry.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 06 Feb 2024 22:27

Turning point was the pitch invasion imo. Players, staff, everyone, was just feeling sorry for ourselves just watching the club die in front of us. The pitch invasion made everyone think, no enough is enough if we are going to go we are going to go kicking and screaming. We are going to fight. And it’s galvanised everyone. fans are behind the players, the players are putting shifts in on the pitch. The fans are backing selles. It really does feel we have everyone facing in the same direction now. There is a passion there not seen for a number of years.
Last edited by Brogue on 07 Feb 2024 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Feb 2024 22:28

Brogue Turning point was the pitch for invasion imo. Players, staff, everyone, was just feeling sorry for ourselves just watching the club die in front of us. The pitch invasion made everyone think, no enough is enough if we are going to go we are going to go kicking and screaming. We are going to fight. And it’s galvanised everyone. fans are behind the players, the players are putting shifts in on the pitch. The fans are backing selles. It really does feel we have everyone facing in the same direction now. There is a passion there not seen for a number of years.

hmm, I went to the Wigan game m8

(do kinda agree, but I think it's been bubbling under since Shrewsbury away)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Feb 2024 22:29

Brogue Turning point was the pitch for invasion imo. Players, staff, everyone, was just feeling sorry for ourselves just watching the club die in front of us. The pitch invasion made everyone think, no enough is enough if we are going to go we are going to go kicking and screaming. We are going to fight. And it’s galvanised everyone. fans are behind the players, the players are putting shifts in on the pitch. The fans are backing selles. It really does feel we have everyone facing in the same direction now. There is a passion there not seen for a number of years.

I remember in 21/22, Derby had that mindset with their 21 point deduction and wouldn't simply fcuk off and get relegated for us. By contrast, we've been a club of shrinking violets over these challenging years. Not any more. It's players, staff and fans united against opposition, EFL and Dai.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Feb 2024 09:54

Brogue There are a lot of people eating humble pie now.

Indeed.

Not Ian. But yes, a lot of people.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 07 Feb 2024 11:25

So, just throwing it out there. We get new investors and they decide to recruit their own manager. Another pitch invasion? :lol: And, for the record, I was one of those looking for Ruben's P45. Given what he's achieved now and also given up on that daft 90/12 system. Fair play to the bloke. Statue, medal. He certainly deserves something. Even a really good night down town. Think he'll bring the missus?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Feb 2024 11:47

I don't think there is any shame in being in the 'Selles out' camp back in November. Things were not going well, but more importantly, he wasn't showing he could/wanted to change. I thought his days were numbered, and to be honest he would have been given the boot at most clubs with the way things were going. It's the fans who are not willing to change their tune - just to save face, they are the ones who need to have a long hard look at themselves. I'm happy to admit that my wanting of Selles to go back in November, was, with hindsight, misguided. And I'm sure most fans feel the same. I was wrong, it's a shame others can't admit it too. It seems certain people have to have this bravado persona on here/Twitter/Social media in general, to what gain though? to impress people on the internet? weird :|

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2024 11:58

Yeah I thought he should have gone around November time and possibly under different circumstances would have done. Fair play though, he's stuck at the job and appears to be turning it around which can't be said for our managers in the Dai era. Once they start declining, it only ever ended one way, it's nice to see that hasn't happened with Selles even though he's been here for a shorter period of time than others.

His ideas did seem to be "right" to a degree, it's just a few tweaks were needed, changing the formation, introducing other personnel when fit and available and bringing in a pretty settled side seemed to steady the ship. It's not like we've done a complete 180 with our playing style. Also he has to take credit for the upturn in form of Azeez and Knibbs consistently as well as others. Fair play, he's doing a very good job at the moment all things considered and I'm glad to see it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Feb 2024 11:59

I was in the Selles out court, results were bad and he was insistent in playing his way despite it blatantly not working, and by his own admission the only way he knew.

However, he did make changes, he has learnt from his mistakes and because of that I have altered my view about him, and I don't mind admitting that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2024 12:02

Yeah I’m not sure anyone genuinely thought he was the man for the job or could turn it round after Shrewsbury and those weird standoff things with the away fans

We’d had a shocking run of results and performances, players speaking out to the media, players sidelined after falling outs etc

The turnaround has been pretty unbelievable really. Clean sheets, consistent selections, scoring goals, showing bottle. Best thing is you can start to see the methods working - the winning the ball high up the pitch, winning those second balls etc. you can see the methods that were failing so miserably now kicking in

Still a long way to go and relegation would be very disappointing, but if we do stay up the man has done a cracking job

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 12:08

I think the turnaround actually started when the formation changed for the Portsmouth game. Performances improved but results did not immediately as we had some mental fragility from all the losses. Once we got the first win under the belt, that improved too. It also coincided with leaving out Dean and Hutchinson after poor performances and Hutch's appalling Shrewsbury interview. I do wonder if those 2 were making excuses for our situation and it was rubbing off on younger players they should have been setting an example to.

Anyhow, I was Selles Out too. We all were, and even with hindsight I don't think we were wrong. If another manager in the future starts that badly, I'll be calling for them to get sacked too. Sometimes you need a bit of luck. The club's shitshow meant he barely got a pre season and started poorly, but it also meant there was nobody to sack him when he should have been. He's turned it around and I'm definitely Selles In now.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Feb 2024 12:15

Only a new and young manager, most young managers need the learning process. Crucial thing for me is that he *is* learning.

Add to that he's a nice enough chap, straight talking, and of course the turning point for most is how he handled himself in recent times.

So, quite happy for him to stay for now, if form continues to improve (remember any shit manager can gave a purple patch - even Gomes, Ince, Pauno and Bullivant did). But unless we go on a massive winning streak, I'd be more than happy for a new owner to change things around. I'm not goign to pretend he's a good manager just because he's less shit than he was. Survival in L1, even with the troubles, shouldn't be hailed as some sort of glorious achievement. It's the absolute bare minimum of what we'd have expected from anyone with this squad. In fact comfortable mid-table would be the bare minimum for most of us. He's only just beginning to work towards that.

Bottom line though - almost all of us want him to succeed and wish him the best. Long may this form continue and improve.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2024 12:18

I think it’s not just him that is learning. The squad is learning how he wants to play

I do think we look an organised, fit and well coached team now and thats to his big credit

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2024 12:30

As I said elsewhere, I refuse to change my view that Selles is shit and should go as soon as we have new owners, rather than he's doing a good job, because the second I do the wheels will fall off and he'll immediately prove me wrong with it all turning to shit.

You're welcome.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 07 Feb 2024 21:03

WestYorksRoyal

I remember in 21/22, Derby had that mindset with their 21 point deduction and wouldn't simply fcuk off and get relegated for us. By contrast, we've been a club of shrinking violets over these challenging years. Not any more. It's players, staff and fans united against opposition, EFL and Dai.

Selles has certainly played his part well in developing a siege mentality among the players and the fans.

Given that the siege visited on the club by Dai and the EFL is probably the most brutal and historically significant siege since Stalingrad, this is definitely another feather in Selles’s cap.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 07 Feb 2024 21:05

Hound Yeah I’m not sure anyone genuinely thought he was the man for the job or could turn it round after Shrewsbury

I always believed.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 07 Feb 2024 21:08

WestYorksRoyal I was Selles Out too. We all were,

I wasn’t.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Feb 2024 21:32

Neither was I.

Thing is, even if he only kept his job largely as a result of the circumstances, it does underline how young managers need to be given time to learn the job. They can do all the courses available to man, but the learning curve is incredibly steep when they step into the hot seat.

There won't have been many young managers who have faced a more difficult set of challenges than he has, so yes, whatever happens from here on in, he deserves huge credit.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Feb 2024 22:04

Selles is without doubt the best Spanish manager we’ve ever had.

I 100% wrote him off after the Shrewsbury defeat. I’d really underestimated what a huge learning curve it must have been for him and the players in extremely difficult circumstances. I really like his honesty and I hope if we ever get new owners he’s given the chance to get us back into the Championship.

590 posts