Selles In

590 posts
LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles In

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 07:12

I was always Selles in. Had a soft spot for him as I've lived in Valencia my whole life.

I did start to doubt him when he seemingly refused to change the 4222 when it clearly wasn't working. But has since

One thing I really like about him is he's not afraid to bin off players that aren't pulling their weight or giving their all (Dean, Hutch, Carroll, NGW etc) but has also shown he'll forgive and forget (Holmes) and players that perform in cameos or cup games will be given more opportunities (Ehib, Abbey, Binden, Dorsett, Mukairu)

He's stuck with us deslite all the off field issues, got the players up for a fight and got the fans back onside. All credit to him.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 08:51

LightwaterRoyal as I've lived in Valencia my whole life.

Can you flesh this out a bit more.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 10:46

Brogue

What would you care to know in particular?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 10:49

LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

How one becomes a reading fan having never lived here I suppose.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2024 11:02

Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

And how long has Lightwater been in Valencia?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2024 11:45

Regardless of whatever happens on the pitch, I will always have a lot of respect for him purely for the way he has carried himself. He's never dodged difficult questions, he's never dodged a fight and he's stuck his head above the parapet when other managers would have done the diplomatic thing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2024 11:53

From Despair To Where? Regardless of whatever happens on the pitch, I will always have a lot of respect for him purely for the way he has carried himself. He's never dodged difficult questions, he's never dodged a fight and he's stuck his head above the parapet when other managers would have done the diplomatic thing. I suspect the squad would crawl over broken glass for him.

Yeah agreed. Have always liked him as a person

I think even some of the screw ups have been with the right intentions. Certainly never been one to try to shift the blame. Would be delighted for him if he does get us safe and hopefully get a proper go next year

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Feb 2024 12:23

He's starting to turn around our away form too. We've only lost one of our last 8 away matches. Drawing 5 and winning 2. We've not conceded many either. I'm starting to warm to him now. He's finally getting a upper mid table squad into upper mid table form despite the cauldron of negativity and financial mess we're in, done a very good job in recent months. He's shown resilience and not let circumstances outside his control impact his focus on the job. The players are playing for him. I think based on recent events he'd get a job at another club if he hypothetically left us. I hope the next owner gives him some loyalty next season as long as we're not blatantly underachieving.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Feb 2024 12:40

I was never Selles Out. I wasn't particularly strongly Selles In either, except on principle, because I'm sceptical any manager should be given so little time (excluding serious off-field disciplinary issues). I don't think enough weight was given to the fact that this is a squad cobbled together at short notice with various impediments to recruitment, who had no pre-season to work on things and get an understanding. Maybe if he had had that he would have settled upon a preferred first-XI and formation sooner; maybe if he had been appointed early in the summer he would have had more input in the choice of players we signed.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Feb 2024 12:53

Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

How far is Valencia from wherever Franchise has just moved to? Would be nice if they could watch games together.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 13:00

rabidbee I was never Selles Out. I wasn't particularly strongly Selles In either, except on principle, because I'm sceptical any manager should be given so little time (excluding serious off-field disciplinary issues). I don't think enough weight was given to the fact that this is a squad cobbled together at short notice with various impediments to recruitment, who had no pre-season to work on things and get an understanding. Maybe if he had had that he would have settled upon a preferred first-XI and formation sooner; maybe if he had been appointed early in the summer he would have had more input in the choice of players we signed.

His paperwork was finalised on the 14th July pre season started on 26th June. So he missed 18 days of pre season. But let’s be honest he was actually announced on the same day pre season started on the 26th of June. We were told he wasn’t to start work until all the paperwork went through but I’m absolutely sure he would have been doing stuff in the background. So I’m sorry I don’t buy this whole he didn’t have a pre season stuff. He still took charge of 4 pre season friendly before the season started against Peterborough on the 5th august.

And regards to summer transfer window, it opened on the 14th June. 12 days later selles was initially announced, I’m sure he would have been involved in discussing transfer targets, so another excuse I can’t get behind.
Last edited by Brogue on 08 Feb 2024 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2024 13:11

Ultimately, he had a squad that should be midtable. We expected a slow start.

He's now getting the squad to perform at around the level it is capable of.

But a large reason it didn't perform to that level earlier is simply Selles' management choices. Not exclusively, but a big part.

The 4-2-2-2, the fallout with Carroll, Holmes and NGW. The relegating of Holmes and McIntyre to the Academy/bench as scapegoats for one dreadful second half performance in the second league game, when midfield was the real problem.

He fixed that, later than pretty much anyone else would have done, but he fixed it. Which is positive.

For all the disadvantages he has, he has some pretty big advantages. He has an actively good squad. He has one of the top 6/7 fanbases in the division, turning out and being loud and positive towards the team regularly. Excellent facilities most L1 clubs can only dream of. And a set of circumstances giftwrapped to allow him to instill a real squad togetherness and us against the world mentality.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Feb 2024 13:12

Fair enough, maybe I'm over-egging it, but in a settled club I'm sure a lot of work is done before late June. The final game of the season is early in May - no managers would have seven weeks off.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 14:19

Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

I was born in Frimley in Surrey and my parents moved to Spain soon after.

Neither of them cared for football at all so I never got pushed into supporting any club. Saw Leroy Lita score an overhead kick on the Coca Cola league highlights show when I was about 9 years old and just randomly started to follow Reading.

I went back to the UK for 7 years when I joined the Royal Marines but am now back in Spain since leaving.

Went to the Armed Forces Careers Office in Reading and had my fitness tests at the Nuffield Health Center by The Madejski.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 14:22

LightwaterRoyal
Brogue
LightwaterRoyal

Neither of them cared for football at all so I never got pushed into supporting any club. Saw Leroy Lita score an overhead kick on the Coca Cola league highlights show when I was about 9 years old and just randomly started to follow Reading.

I went back to the UK for 7 years when I joined the Royal Marines but am now back in Spain since leaving.

Went to the Armed Forces Careers Office in Reading and had my fitness tests at the Nuffield Health Center by The Madejski.

wow, have you ever seen us play live? if not any plans too?

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 14:31

Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

Unbfortunately not yet. I had hoped to while in the UK but unfortunately I was earning very little and based and hour west of Glasgow so it never really happened.
Since then I've been working offshore in Nigeria, Thailand and Bangladesh so struggling to find the time but I have every intention of getting across to a game before we Dai. I actually live really close to La Nucia where we had our preseason but I was working in Port Harcourt and missed them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 14:37

I think the amount of fans who always believed in him will soon be on a par with the amount who saw Friday's goal against Tranmere.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 08 Feb 2024 14:38

LightwaterRoyal
Brogue
LightwaterRoyal

Unbfortunately not yet. I had hoped to while in the UK but unfortunately I was earning very little and based and hour west of Glasgow so it never really happened.
Since then I've been working offshore in Nigeria, Thailand and Bangladesh so struggling to find the time but I have every intention of getting across to a game before we Dai. I actually live really close to La Nucia where we had our preseason but I was working in Port Harcourt and missed them.

When you work in these exotic locations are you providing security with your Royal Marine training?

Do you get to carry a gun? If so, what gun?

What wars have you fought in?

Have you thought about going to Ukraine to fight?

What is the coolest bit of mercenary army merchandise you have seen? Is it the Wagner Group backgammon set?

As a mercenary do you often listen to the song 'Roland the Thompson gunner' by Warren Zevon?

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 14:44

St Pauli
LightwaterRoyal
Brogue

When you work in these exotic locations are you providing security with your Royal Marine training?

What is the coolest bit of mercenary army merchandise you have seen? Is it the Wagner Group backgammon set?

As a mercenary do you often listen to the song 'Roland the Thompson gunner' by Warren Zevon?

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near that cool. I'm a commercial diver now and work on oil and gas platforms

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 08 Feb 2024 14:53

LightwaterRoyal
St Pauli
LightwaterRoyal

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near that cool. I'm a commercial diver now and work on oil and gas platforms

OK but you must have fought in some wars right? I mean we've got involved in a fair few in the last 30 years. We love it!

590 posts